Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Two questions with the Sullivan onboard glow driver

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Two questions with the Sullivan onboard glow driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Flyscrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions with the Sullivan onboard glow driver

I have two unrelated questions concerning the Sullivan onboard glow driver. Wondering if anyone can recommend a battery (the type and voltage. The manual states I can use anything from a 1.2v to 6.6v) for the Sullivan onboard glow driver? I'm using it for an inverted saito 125.
Also- would there be any issues with cutting off one of the two glow plug leads as I only need one, but this particular model was the one made for two cylinders. An option other than cutting it off is just winding it up and stuffing it in the plane, although I don't want the extra weight if possible. The manual says these two leads run in parallel so I would assume there is no harm in cutting one off.
My main question is what type of battery however.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:19 PM
castlebravo

If it were me, I'd use a single cell A123 (3.3vdc) or a 6.6vdc LiFe pack....you just need it to be enough current capacity to do what you need.....2300mah minimum.....glow drivers use alot of current. Should be no issue cutting off the unused connector if they are in parallel....but how much weight are you really saving by doing this.....and what if the connector you left on goes bad.....if you dont cut it off....you have a ready spare...just in case.....

CB
Old 01-06-2016, 01:24 PM
Flyscrc

OK great, thanks for the info! Actually it probably does make sense to just keep both and wind up one and talking away just in case something like that happens in the future.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:24 AM
Flyscrc

CB, do you have any links for those batteries, by any chance?
Old 01-07-2016, 05:38 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

One piece of advice I'd like to offer is ;

Before you cut anything , or make anything else final , I'd hook it up on the bench and test a couple of things first . You say this driver is intended to drive 2 glowplugs , yes ? Well my first test would be in it's "native" configuration with 2 glowplugs and make sure it does in fact heat them . Since you want to use it on a single plug next I'd disconnect one and observe if the other still heats properly . The reason I say this is because I have read once or twice of people having problems using multi cylinder drivers in single cylinder application due to the way the driver operates . If it has the type of circuit where it pulses the voltage to the plug in varying intervals depending on the heat the plug is presently at , which is determined by actively measuring circuit resistance , altering that circuit's normal resistance upsets it's ability to actively monitor how much power is needed and the unit malfunctions . It could operate just fine on one plug , or it could not , and till your sure , cutting anything should wait .

As to batteries , my preference would be for LIFE also , just as castlebravo suggests since you have such a great operating voltage range . In my own planes , I bought my glow drivers so long ago that LIFE/LIPO weren't mass market yet and they are designed for 1.2 volt NIMH (or NICAD) only . I use a single "C" sized NIMH 4000 MAH cell that goes 4 or 5 flights before needing charging and have a dedicated charger in my field box specifically for that cell . So I fly a few flights or so , plug it in as I'm wiping off the slime , and it's all charged back up by the time it's wiped down , fueled up , and ready to go again .

Good Luck with it and photos are always welcome
Old 01-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

As Init4fun says you don't know how the glo driver is set to work. Pulse or not looking for specific resistance of two plugs etc. Why not use your internet access to contact Sullivan directly and ask this question of the manufacturer instead of listening to best guess solution of people who have never used the glo driver much less attempting to use it as a single.

Dennis