Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

embracing drones

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:50 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default embracing drones

I see the new RCU home page is selling us out with the embracing of drones, you just can't get away from can you? it's a pretty sore subject and I just can't accept it as being ok to see so much of it. I have nothing against Quads, I own one myself and I use it responsibly, I can't get over the fact that AMA did all this embracing of drones to think the buyers would join AMA, who would and why would they, it really take an ignorant mind to even think they would become AMA members, which makes me wonde,r who's running the store?
Old 01-24-2016, 08:33 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

We can only hope the "fad" will Fade Fast,,, I can think of another F-word,,for these things,, but,,,,
Old 01-24-2016, 09:38 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airega1
I see the new RCU home page is selling us out with the embracing of drones, you just can't get away from can you? it's a pretty sore subject and I just can't accept it as being ok to see so much of it. I have nothing against Quads, I own one myself and I use it responsibly, I can't get over the fact that AMA did all this embracing of drones to think the buyers would join AMA, who would and why would they, it really take an ignorant mind to even think they would become AMA members, which makes me wonde,r who's running the store?
There is plenty of ignorance to go around, thanks for sure. Who was minding the store....hmm...different people of course but probably of the same mind set....namely that of being accepting of new methods of building and flying. I'm sure the folks flying things other than rubber band and free flight were happy, that's for sure. Nirto, then gas, then electric, then those horrible things called helis. Don't forget giant scale and turbines of course too. Ya...the times and technology change, and so does the AMA. Thank god they aren't stuck in the "good old days".

As for RCU "selling out"....it's called paying the bills so you and everyone else can use the site for free. Don't like the ads, don't click on them, or just pass over them, easy. They are no different than any other site/retailer...they are giving the customers what they want to see and buy.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I can see a new movie coming out: RC Wars "Embracing the Drones"
Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

It's called revenue ($$$). I support the AMA, but do not support drones.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:16 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by JCOKEEFE
It's called revenue ($$$). I support the AMA, but do not support drones.
Sorry, you can't separate the two,, The powers that be @ AMA have linked us to them forever. It's like being a republican in a union, you don't get to choose how those dues are spent., you're supporting democrats like it or not.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Sorry, you can't separate the two,, The powers that be @ AMA have linked us to them forever. It's like being a republican in a union, you don't get to choose how those dues are spent., you're supporting democrats like it or not.
Don't know that the "powers that be" have linked us to any one form of flying, they have certainly embraced all types of legal and safe flying. Perhaps the AMA members who fly MR/drones at the fields have linked us to them as well.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:12 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by porcia83
Don't know that the "powers that be" have linked us to any one form of flying, they have certainly embraced all types of legal and safe flying. Perhaps the AMA members who fly MR/drones at the fields have linked us to them as well.
I never said the linked us to "one form of flying", but they've tied those drones to the majority of us that don't fly them,, that's for sure.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:26 PM
jeffrey solomon

I don't know if you got the most recent AMA email this evening 1/25/16

about the 2014 lawsuit and the AMA trip to DC
but I emailed almost all the departments at

the AMA last night about just these issues.
Today we all get a response?
I find the coincidence interesting.

Jeff Solomon

I sent the AMA this suggestion,

Dear AMA,

Before you go to Capital Hill, it might be wise to prepare a petition that could be presented to the entire AMA

membership via email. I would leave the exact wording to you and our attorneys, but it should reflect the basic
objections we AMA members have to the FAA interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

The petition with all the members, names and emails should then be sent, and brought to all the

members of Congress and their staffs. This will demonstrate to Congress the great dissatisfaction we hold

against the actions of the FAA and hope to persuade Congress to support or wishes to preserve model aviation.

Respectfully

Jeffrey Solomon

Old 01-25-2016, 04:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

You might have missed a thread or two. Every AMA member either has this, or will have it within a day.

You propose that the AMA craft some petition, then submit it to all the members, and then turn it back over to the FAA with all of our info? Completely unworkable. The FAA and Congress and anyone listening already knows what the AMA's position is. In addition, members were already asked to submit their own comments multiple times. At some point it has to end.

Did you actually read the e-mail, they are headed to Congress this week...as in the next few days.

The time to write and voice the concern is done, and past, and a write in campaign isn't going to change a federal agency. Simply register and continue flying as we always have. The AMA will continue to represent us as a whole, not catering to individuals, but rather to the whole group and the whole hobby, as they have done for 80 years.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:32 PM
jeffrey solomon

Leave it to you Porcia83 to be the voice of discouragement,
I counted on it, you have never failed me, that is precisely why I sent my post directly to you .

All that the petition requires is for a member to check they agree to the petition, and type in their name, email and if needed address.
The petition and all the names and emails could be sent from
Muncie Central even after they arrive.
The AMA already has the language needed for a petition, it wouldn't take long for an IT to do IT. (not quite a palindrone, no,no I mean palindrome, not drone)

The AMA email says "Executive Council will arrive at Capitol Hill to speak to members of Congress and their staffs ,it is better to have a hard copy of a petition it has greater effect.
Even if the Executive Council misses a few Congressmen, they could present the hard copy to most.

"The time to write and voice the concern is done, and past, and a write in campaign isn't going to change a federal agency. "

You could also make the argument that a trip to Washington would not change a federal agency.

You and I do not know what factors are needed to persuade a Federal Agency, Congressmen, petitions, protests, emails, letters, $$$$, hookers ?

The AMA's representation of us in this situation is a matter for discussion. To offer the AMA's 80 year history to

avoid criticize actual encourages criticism.

Does not a successful trip to DC serve the "whole hobby" and not cater to individuals ?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

I must have missed you sending any comment directly at me...or quoting me....in all of the threads where you put the same comments in over and over. But hey, I'm glad I don't disappoint you. You can characterize my comments as negative, I just see them as comments based in reality. We've had multiple chances to let the FAA and our representatives know how we feel, as has the AMA. And where are we now? Right, being told to register. We already have some agreements in principle to carve out exceptions/clarifications for us (reg number, 400 foot)....what exactly are we going to rally the troops now for again? The $5.00 fee in 3 years? To not spend 5 minutes registering? The hobby world hasn't changed drastically, nor will it.

I'll let the pros keep doing what they are doing, it's what we elected them to do, and I have every confidence they are doing what they can. If the reg is the worst of it, I'm a o/k with it. If they can get an agreement to open some/most/all of the fields in the DC area open, all the better.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:37 PM
jeffrey solomon

I would not dare try to characterize your comments as negative, you have been doing such an excellent job all by yourself.

"what exactly are we going to rally the troops now for again? The $5.00 fee in 3 years? To not spend 5 minutes registering? The hobby world hasn't changed drastically, nor will it.

Tell that to the clubs in the DC SFRA. Oh yes you mention that at the end.

You are not serious with your comments, Porcia83, the $5 and registering is and has never been my objection, but rather the FAA's ability to interpret the 2012
Law contrary to the intent of Congress.

Obviously, the AMA agrees with this idea considering the AMA brought a lawsuit in 2014 the issues in the suit was not soley registration or $5, the law suit is not predicated on "carve out exceptions/clarifications for us (reg number, 400 foot).. as you say, I assume you read the lawsuit?

The lawsuit has not been resolved, and your position would encourage an abandonment of the suit, I mean after all we are all registered and there

aren't any new restrictions, yet, right?

I think you are well aware of the dangers of allowing the FAA's first interpretation to go unchecked, it only invites others.

As you wrote "If the reg is the worst of it, I'm a o/k with it." That is a pretty big "IF"

If the "Pros" are doing everything they can, as you say ,it also obligates us to do everything we can to support our desire to preserve the hobby.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:34 AM
porcia83
Banned

Interesting change, I was a fan boy everything is great with the world sheeple before, now I'm negative? It's hard to follow your train of thought, it's a huge conglomeration of words and comments that meanders all over the place, and rarely reflect what I sad. Case in point...abandonment of the lawsuit? Where you pulled that from is unknown, I've said nothing of the kind. Of course I've seen the lawsuit..I believe I was the one who told you it had been filed, you were clearly not aware of it before suddenly popping up on this site and suggesting one be filed, or that the AMA inspects fields...etc.etc.etc.

Ah yes..the old argument of no new restrictions "yet"....I believe that falls under the doom and gloom prophecy category which I'll pass on. I know whats here and now, and I don't get all worked up about what MIGHT happen years from now. Wasted effort and energy that is better focused on the here and now.

The letter campaign is all well and good, and if you feel like it's useful, but all means, have at it. The reality is that time has past now. The AMA is meeting face to face with members of congress to again state their case, as well as work on getting the field in the DC area back up and running. Putting some petition together now is completely unworkable if for no other reason than time. I hope they are able to get some agreements on the fields but with multiple federal agencies involved (FAA, Homeland Security, Secret Service), this is a tall task. Keep in mind they have a suit pending against the FAA in one hand, and are then sitting at a table asking for concessions on the fields being reopened. Not an easy task.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Luchnia
I can see a new movie coming out: RC Wars "Embracing the Drones"
Lets change the title to "LOVE DRONES", oohhhhaa! Oh they have perfectly shaped and pouty rotors! Ohhh and such beautiful cameras to see you with!