Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New Format

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:57 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the biggest bummer about the site is that it has deteriorated into a bunch of threads like this where all the whiners come to complain about drones, government, AMA, etc. Isn't anybody building something cool or offering any helpful information? The airplane forums have all but died Maybe it's time to join RC scale builder?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:37 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

and yet RCGroups is thriving
Old 01-26-2016, 11:45 AM
airzona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horrible isn't the word. Hard to find anything and still can't find the photo gallery. Gonna have to start using rc groups from now on. Way to ruin what worked. Also this site looks a lot like Rc groups just more difficult to use.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:53 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by airzona
Horrible isn't the word. Hard to find anything and still can't find the photo gallery. Gonna have to start using rc groups from now on. Way to ruin what worked. Also this site looks a lot like Rc groups just more difficult to use.
like here?

or here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-01-26 14.49.17.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	2143631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-01-26 14.57.12.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	2143632  

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 01-26-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:45 PM
IBobi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm listening guys!

The new home page happened because the old page's code was so old and so custom that it was impossible to maintain.

The new stuff can be updated any time we want.

I am going to ask RCKen to compile a list of the issues you are reporting and send them to me, so we can see what we can do. In any case, it is not going to be just like the old site, nor do we want it to be. We want it to be better!

Thanks,

Paul
Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IBobi
I'm listening guys!

The new home page happened because the old page's code was so old and so custom that it was impossible to maintain.

The new stuff can be updated any time we want.

I am going to ask RCKen to compile a list of the issues you are reporting and send them to me, so we can see what we can do. In any case, it is not going to be just like the old site, nor do we want it to be. We want it to be better!

Thanks,

Paul
Thanks for listening. You were responsive to the ad placement issue brought up a month or so ago for as far as I can see you guys do want to make this a great place to be. For me the system continues to be slow to log in, sometimes clocking for 20-30 seconds. No rhyme or reason, happens with different browsers too. I'll get the "can't connect" page at least 3-4 times a week. Pic uploads are not a problem, they used to be but if there was a change made it worked out well. Thanks for keeping an open mind and for the work you guys do (or can do based on decisions made by IB).
Old 01-26-2016, 01:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureboy
I think the biggest bummer about the site is that it has deteriorated into a bunch of threads like this where all the whiners come to complain about drones, government, AMA, etc. Isn't anybody building something cool or offering any helpful information? The airplane forums have all but died Maybe it's time to join RC scale builder?
Complainers will be on every site...complaining about pretty much everything. The AMA threads are always like that, just as the HK threads are.

All the sites are different to some degree, the two big ones (RCG and RCU ) have to cater to the broadest audience, and each have their own flavor, feel, and personality. And each have their little offshoot sites too for more targeted viewing. I'm amazed at how different Wattflyer is compared to RCU. I find most of them pretty much laid out the same. I'm usually in the AMA and electric sections however recently decided to try something I swore I never would, actually building a plane. I found a thread pretty easily and posted up some pics and some questions and got some great responses on how to move forward. I might have started at RCScale but they would have laughed me outta there with my little laser cut park flier!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Didn't know the difference from the old format, it still SUCKS!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:35 AM
jatoRC

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
and yet RCGroups is thriving
I just joined RCGroups.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:02 AM
castlebravo

Word of the day --- Obsequious
obsequious

[uh b-see-kwee-uh s]

adjective 1. characterized by or showing servile complaisance or deference; fawning: an obsequious bow.

2. servilely compliant or deferential: obsequious servants.

3. obedient; dutiful.
Other word of the day: You're......a contraction of "You Are"....as in "you're the exact type of person I was referring to"

Other Other word of the day: Your....possessive....as in "Your spelling counts when you're trying to sound smart...."

CB

Last edited by castlebravo; 01-27-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

Old 01-28-2016, 07:11 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

OK guys, I know that change can some times be a bumpy road. And for that I apologize. But as IBobi has said, he has tasked me with getting as specific list of things that are not working correctly so that we can get them fixed. So if you guys can give me specifics I will get them to him and I assure you he will have the tech staff take care of it. And please, give me legitimate issues of things not working. Not something like "it sucks."

I understand that the new format may not be something for everybody, but if you understood the hardware reasons why we did it there would be less complaints. When RCU was sold to Internet Brands there was a conglomeration of mishmashed machines that RCU ran on that went to them. The front end machine that was the "front door" of RCU was probably the worst of them all and had more band-aids on it keeping running than anything else. IB has been keeping it patched together and running for years to keep RCU up and running until they could get a replacement in place. That is finally what has happened and that is what you are now seeing with the new format of the front page. The running of the new format means new equipment that streamlines a lot of what we do in the background here at RCU, so it really is a great step forward for us.

Anyway, get the list of issues coming to me guys so that I can get them to IBobi.

Ken
Old 01-28-2016, 07:26 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

#1: put an "are you sure" step in any thread that is over a certain age. Just saw a 13 year old thread resurrected....
Old 01-28-2016, 05:57 PM
overbuild

I would like to see up coming events on the main or first page like it was before the change to this new format. Going to calendar to find it just makes it more difficult to view.