Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

HobbyKing is disgusting.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:04 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
I enjoy these threads once in a while it reminds me why i dont buy from HK and never to buy from them . . I have made it 40 years in this hobby without ordering anything from them and more than likely will die happy with no stress waiting by my mail box or dealing with stuff thats brand new but does not work . I hear their customer service is a piece of work also. I might pay a little more suporting my local hobby shop but after working and saving for 50 or so years i really dont care if i leave the kids a dime. lmao joe

Good point.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Like moths to a flame. No mater how many get burned the lure of CHEEP CHEEEP CHEEEEEEEEEEEEP keeps them coming back. The thread should be renamed to Slow Learners LOL

Dennis
Old 03-12-2016, 02:23 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of decals you needed jolly popper ? all the pdfs on the left side are airplane marking and scroll down for more free ones . if you poke arounf on this site you can find gauges and dash boards . joe http://www.hobbyaeromodelismerc.com/logos-decalques/

Last edited by joebahl; 03-12-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:26 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Propworn
Like moths to a flame. No mater how many get burned the lure of CHEEP CHEEEP CHEEEEEEEEEEEEP keeps them coming back. The thread should be renamed to Slow Learners LOL

Dennis
You bring up a great point, exactly how many? Are complaint threads a good barometer? How many are here, over what period of time? How many started by people who have used them once years and years ago who can't get past bad experience, or rather by some who have actually used them for years and years with good experiences, but have one go bad? Are there that many from complete noobs? I know asking for context isn't popular in HK threads, they all pretty much go the same way, either hate them or you work for them...but most reasonable people can see that crap for what it is.

As for cheep......they sell JR, Scorpion, Futaba, DA, and Eagle Tree products, just to name a few. Is that stuff cheap?

They are what they are, and extremely popular supplier of RC goods that continue to grow and expand and give people what they want even in spite of customer service issues. Statistically I would bet they have an equal percentage of customer service issues (transactions versus issues) than any other LARGE operation similar to them. I know one smaller mom and pop operation is always used as comparison but of course it's not even close.

It's easy though, if everyone stopped using them, there would be no problem.

But as Dennis has so aptly diagnosed (again, a common theme in HK threads is to look down on people who shop there and second guess their motives), people who shop there should be labeled as "slow learners". LoL indeed.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:36 PM
joebahl

Mom and pop ? I love my local hobby shop and if he does not have it in stock he will order it for me . Good supply of balsa and carbon fiber rods and even depron sheets of foam . three rows of arfs and kits to build and the rest if for car guys . He has a rc car track close to me and he lets us fly in a empty parking lot every fri night . You see HK doing that ! lol joe
Old 03-13-2016, 05:42 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by porcia83
As for cheep......they sell JR, Scorpion, Futaba, DA, and Eagle Tree products, just to name a few. Is that stuff cheap?
Don't know anyone who buys this stuff from Hobby Klunk. By the time you pay shipping etc. can't see it being much cheaper than the local hobby shop.

Dennis
Old 03-13-2016, 05:43 AM
WVNed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had a problem. I have bought planes, cars and radios. They all worked. I did get screwed by Tower Hobbies. I bought a used Savage Octane that was supposed to be "slightly used, works fine". No ring in the engine.

Should i never buy from them again?

Last edited by WVNed; 03-13-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:19 AM
joebahl

Don't know anyone who buys this stuff from Hobby Klunk. By the time you pay shipping etc. can't see it being much cheaper than the local hobby shop.

Dennis
The only difference i can see other than it costing me a few bucks extra is with HK you maye get it in a couple weeks or never with their back orders but my hobby shop i can get it NOOOOOOW .lol If i order something my hobby shop calls me when its in and most time in a matter of days. I think thats worth a couple extra bucks . joe
Old 03-13-2016, 08:07 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the opposite experience. Ordered from USA warehouse then ordered from Chinese warhouse same day. China came faster by several days.
Figure that out one.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:23 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by essyou35
I had the opposite experience. Ordered from USA warehouse then ordered from Chinese warhouse same day. China came faster by several days.
Figure that out one.
Iam not convinced if you order it from the US warehouse it really comes from there if they are out of stock but who knows. lol I thought about ordering some nice motor wire from the US warehouse and trying some but i would place the order in spring so i can get it by X-mass my building season . A 84 inch wingspan electric twinn otter iam working on now with floats later . lol joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter 36.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	2152331  

Last edited by joebahl; 03-13-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:30 AM
porcia83
Banned

Dennis
LoL...and yet they stock it and sell it, and people are free to choose where to buy from. Amazing eh? Another fallacy of "cheep cheep" debunked again.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:35 AM
porcia83
Banned

Iam not convinced if you order it from the US warehouse it really comes from there if they are out of stock but who knows. lol I thought about ordering some nice motor wire from the US warehouse and trying some but i would place the order in spring so i can get it by X-mass my building season . A 84 inch wingspan electric twinn otter iam working on now with floats later . lol joe
How would you know how they ship and where the stuff comes from, I thought you said earlier you don't use them? Or were you thinking of ordering that nice motor wire because of the price? No, that was just a horrible example trying to prove your point. But are you repeating yet another incorrect rumor about their shipping? When you buy from the US, it comes from the US, simple as that. It's on the postage slip, and you can track it online. Unless of course it's all a house of cards conspiracy, which is often the case with people who have never used HK.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by WVNed
Never had a problem. I have bought planes, cars and radios. They all worked. I did get screwed by Tower Hobbies. I bought a used Savage Octane that was supposed to be "slightly used, works fine". No ring in the engine.

Should i never buy from them again?

Well, if you read some of the fervent anti HK crowds comments, you should never have used them in the first place. These are the folks that usually pound their chest about our freedoms being taken away from us, and we need to be able to do what we want, but they are the first ones to tell you what you should do. Oh, and as Dennis so maturely notes above, you are then called a name like "slow learner". All because you shop where you want, and like what you get. Amazing isn't it?
Old 03-13-2016, 08:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mom and pop ? I love my local hobby shop and if he does not have it in stock he will order it for me . Good supply of balsa and carbon fiber rods and even depron sheets of foam . three rows of arfs and kits to build and the rest if for car guys . He has a rc car track close to me and he lets us fly in a empty parking lot every fri night . You see HK doing that ! lol joe
Do you not read what I write, or do you bend over backwards to twist it? What I said was that there are some that love to talk about how much better service they get from local mom and pop type operations rather than HK, however it's not an appropriate comparison. For example, one of the most anti Hk guys out there almost always talks about Heads Up RC (to the point that if others did it they would be called shills). Oh HURC is gods gift to the hobby world and we should all use them because of their service and how much better it is than HK's. Because a small local HS is so much like a multi country operation like HK.

HURC is great of course, so are lots of smaller online shops, and of course local hobby shops. Not everyone has the option of a LHS though, and so as a result they shop where they want. Why exactly is that such a big deal with people?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:30 PM
joebahl

Yep Texas BTW i dont seek any credit from you nor him, people in this hobby who konw me can tell you iam a stand up guy and not to bad of a builder . For around here in IL ,i was prestident of the SAC club with 250 members competed in pattern and pylon for 20 years ,fl;ight instructor in two different clubs for 30 years and now just build and fly my sea planes./ You and him want credit go earn it like others here have but its not going to be by starting arguments in every thread. joe

Last edited by joebahl; 03-13-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:06 PM
jim billings

I would like to see specifics when lambasting some hobby supplier. Those specifics should include the good with the bad so readers can make informed judgments. Initial reactions to a problem with instant tales of difficulty recorded in a forum should have some basis determined by rational thought. "Cheap" is descriptive and a criterion for many hobbiests while "cheep" has a derogatory meaning. A better description would be "affordable". Of course, if your finances are bottomless as some seem to enjoy, cost is a moot point. I and a lot of us are not so lucky and budget what we can.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:35 PM
joebahl

Well i look at that this way ,i worked 30 years as a union carpenter then 15 years running a large construction company with proffit sharing and after putting my 4 children through college i was then allowed to start saving money. I have 2 good pentions from that hard work and i plan on leaving nothing for my kids after college its their turn to support themselves while i spend my money on my toys antique cars ,trucks and motorcycles plus wild woman . lol I might save enough to burry myself but who knows if balsa goes on sale .lol I buy the best tools and nice plans /chargers batterys / and so far iam having a blast ,just bought a old 1999 jeep to restore the other day because i was bored :-) I worked for every thing i own and never finished high school because my family needed me farming . So you can scrimp and save buy junk from HK but i am going to rexlax and live the American dream. joe

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2152426   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0216.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2152427   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0217.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	2152428   Click image for larger version

Name:	road king 97.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2152429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0209.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	2152430  

Last edited by joebahl; 03-13-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:37 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the wingspan on that purple one?
Old 03-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Propworn

But as Dennis has so aptly diagnosed (again, a common theme in HK threads is to look down on people who shop there and second guess their motives), people who shop there should be labeled as "slow learners". LoL indeed.
Not looking down on anyone just stating an opinion that continued dealing with Hobby Klunk when you know the pitfalls then complaining when it happens to you again is a slow learner. Accept when dealing with Hobby Klunk things may go south and all the complaining in the world isn't going to change anything. Suck it up Buttercup.

Look, know what your dealing with do a google search "Customer reviews hobbyking" As far as their lost parcel policy goes they will only address this after 45 days and then no later than 60 days from your own countries postal service. You realize you only have one billing cycle (30 days) to initiate a charge back on your credit card. Coincidence I leave that up to you to determine.

We do not consider a parcel lost until after we have filed a missing parcel report with the Hong Kong Postmaster. We can do this after 45 days.
Once we have filed a missing parcel report and we have a response (no later than 60 days) from your countries postal authority, we can then replace your parcel. We will confirm with you on your address during this process.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 03-13-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:50 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by tailskid
What's the wingspan on that purple one?
Lol moment of not wanting a black one like everyone else . matches my rescue dog . lol OH ! the purple bike is 113 CU IN :-)

Name:	scruffster.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2152436  

Last edited by joebahl; 03-13-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:07 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

I call BS on them selling DA. Got a link?
Old 03-13-2016, 03:11 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by K-Bob
I call BS on them selling DA. Got a link?
Whats up BOB long time! yep they love their HK and even make up high dollar products for HK their one stop shop . Think they went to hunt pop cans and saving up for a bag to put them in :-) joe

Last edited by joebahl; 03-13-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by jim billings
I would like to see specifics when lambasting some hobby supplier. Those specifics should include the good with the bad so readers can make informed judgments. Initial reactions to a problem with instant tales of difficulty recorded in a forum should have some basis determined by rational thought. "Cheap" is descriptive and a criterion for many hobbiests while "cheep" has a derogatory meaning. A better description would be "affordable". Of course, if your finances are bottomless as some seem to enjoy, cost is a moot point. I and a lot of us are not so lucky and budget what we can.
Cheap as in inexpensive costing less perhaps a sacrifice in features and quality components still able to do the job.

Cheep Cheeeeep Cheeeeeeeeeeeeep having to order extras just to make sure enough of them will work to do the job.

Dennis
Old 03-13-2016, 04:15 PM
Propworn

Dennis ,you will see these same people starting a thread in the future about how that nasty HK stold their kids milk money and they are so upset .lol iam out of here and the guy from texas and the other king can brag or bully others with their arguments ,just to start them and sit back and watch. I think these two have made this into a hobby .lmao joe

Hobby Klunk has its place in the scheme of things. Without them indoor flying at our club would never have been feasible. We now have 20 to 30 members on any given Sunday enjoying flying out of the winter weather in a quad gym. 99% fly circles and end up bashing into each other on a regular basis. One day of flying you need 2 or 3 planes depending on how adept you are at avoiding the others. Nothing beats a 10 buck motor or speed control and 2 or 4 dollar servos for these models. Hobby Klunk even has a few EPP models with motor and esc for under 40 bucks.

As with all Hobby Klunk products it is an inexpensive way to start out and for those on a limited budget it allows them to participate in the hobby. Nothing wrong with any of that. You just have to accept and put up with all the idiosyncrasies of the company and its faults. People have complained about the same things since they started selling in North America and things haven’t changed I don’t expect anything different to change in the near future.

I can’t think of any discipline in RC that has had Hobby Clunk on the podium other than at say a club event. Looked at an awful lot of models in many disciplines of competition and Hobby Klunk equipment is non-existent.

At one time I had a fair amount of Hobby Klunk knocking around the shop but it’s mostly been phased out with the procurement of more expensive, larger or more complex airframes. Hobby Klunk batteries have been regulated to non-flying applications like my starter/fuel pump supply. Motors, esc, servos etc. have been sold/given away.

Dennis
Old 03-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Rob2160

The only difference i can see other than it costing me a few bucks extra is with HK you maye get it in a couple weeks or never with their back orders but my hobby shop i can get it NOOOOOOW .lol If i order something my hobby shop calls me when its in and most time in a matter of days. I think thats worth a couple extra bucks . joe
What is your local store Joe? I just got back from 8 weeks in the USA and it was always a highlight of previous trips to spend a few days visiting your local Hobby stores.

To be honest this time I was really disappointed with most of them..

Some stores had either closed down or moved location and downsized considerably since my last visit.

They also didn't carry any of the products I wanted to buy.

Trying to find a Mode 1 TX in a US hobby store is virtually impossible and they lose me completely when they start with BS like "Futaba does not make Mode 1 radios"

http://www.modelflight.com.au/radios...er-mode-1.html

I managed to get the items I wanted from several online vendors in the US (BuddyRC and ReadymadeRC) - both of which are excellent.

But visiting the local stores was a complete waste of my time and I won't bother next year.

The one exception was Aloft Hobbies in San Fransisco, very knowledgable, helpful, genuine and friendly staff

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-13-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.