Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What is this plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 10:35 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It isn't an Ace Seamaster. The Seamaster has a 60 inch span and a T tail. It also has an engine pod on a wood stalk above the wing. I agree with whomever said it looks like a float that somebody put tail feathers on and slapped a wing on top. No reason it shouldn't fly, though.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:33 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
It isn't an Ace Seamaster. The Seamaster has a 60 inch span and a T tail. It also has an engine pod on a wood stalk above the wing. I agree with whomever said it looks like a float that somebody put tail feathers on and slapped a wing on top. No reason it shouldn't fly, though.
LoL....I must have missed that earlier. That could be the case. I worked on it some more today, used some Foam Tac filler here and there. I have no doubt it will fly..anything will with enough power right. Just a question of the amount of time it stays airborne, and if it makes it past the maiden flight.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:13 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I have flown off water before but it's not my first choice, even for this thing. In all likelihood it will be snow, or just hand tossing in the air and landing on grass. As for the additional weight via glassing, I only needed a strip of about 2.5 inches over a 12 inch area. I'm going to guess this will come in around 3-4 pounds all up. 480 or power 10, i'll there soon enough.

I like simple, believe me. On those few planes that I couldn't find written documentation of the CG 1/3 of the cord has typically worked pretty well. I'm guessing that will be my starting point here, I'm just confused for a few reasons. The motor and battery (at least a 3 cell) will be in front of the wing. It's a nice fat chuncky flat bottom wing, with a good about of dihedral. Does the dihedral affect the CG to any degree. Also, is there any type of formula that says a wing has to be a certain length/width as compared to the length of the fuselage?

Thanks for the continued advice here.
CG only has to do with wing configuration,, 1/3 back is a little tail heavy for most,,, I'd start more around 28% and move to liking,, better off nose heavy than tail heavy.

No, Dihedral doesn't affect anything but the roll axis it adds stability to. The effect is to self correct the roll axis,, Typically wings with no aileron control will have allot of dihedral, planes with ailerons can have flat wings

Formula?? just common sense I guess, that plane does look a little short coupled,, but it should work,, expect the elevator and rudder control to be a little touchy,

good luck
Old 03-28-2016, 03:47 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Continued with some sanding, glassed down the small part of the bottom front of the plane, hitting the wings tonight with primer/sealer. I don't like the aluminum pod the guy had rigged up so I'll have to come up with something else for that. I have a Power 10 from another plane, as well as a 480 equiv, I guess the final weight will play in factor in what I use. 40 amp esc either way, it's what I have laying around.