Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Acknowledging loss of freedom in the May Model Aviation magazine

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Acknowledging loss of freedom in the May Model Aviation magazine

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 01:10 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As an avid builder/modeler for over 5 decades I am disgusted with the requirement to register with the FAA. I therefore refuse to register.

I have given away all of my scratch built planes with engines and servos (over 20), and have focused on glow powered models small enough to evade the requirement. I have also taken up golf and am on the look out for a different hobby not regulated by the Federal Government.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:00 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I think the point has been missed.

Make no mistake control over us is desired, and has occured. And a fee has been established, you say it's no big deal? well how long do you think it will take for the fee to be increased? there is a method to most madness, and it ain't in your favor.

Big brother has you by the B____s. and you haven't even noticed!
While I do agree 100% with Donny here that there is far too much government encroachment on our hobby , and like the proverbial "tip of the iceberg" there is much more coming than initially meets the eye ........

Originally Posted by 049flyer
As an avid builder/modeler for over 5 decades I am disgusted with the requirement to register with the FAA. I therefore refuse to register.

I have given away all of my scratch built planes with engines and servos (over 20), and have focused on glow powered models small enough to evade the requirement. I have also taken up golf and am on the look out for a different hobby not regulated by the Federal Government.
...... I believe this is an action just a bit too drastic for the situation as it presently stands . The government already has you in enough databases if you've got an automobile driver's license or even just a social security number that what's $5 every three years and being in yet another database matter VS giving up a hobby that you obviously enjoyed ?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:54 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun

...... I believe this is an action just a bit too drastic for the situation as it presently stands . The government already has you in enough databases if you've got an automobile driver's license or even just a social security number that what's $5 every three years and being in yet another database matter VS giving up a hobby that you obviously enjoyed ?
The point is that I don't agree that the Federal Government has the legal authority to regulate my flying of model airplanes. Therefore, I choose not to register.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:44 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
The point is that I don't agree that the Federal Government has the legal authority to regulate my flying of model airplanes. Therefore, I choose not to register.
I don't agree that the feds can legally do a lot of things but it doesn't seem to stop them. Odds are you'll never be asked for your registration or struck by lighting but ya never know.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 05-05-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beardface5
What exactly is this fee for?.. What is it exactly that they are allowing you to do for 5 dollars?
Losing money? They are making millions and all they do is keep a stinking list!
Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
While I do agree 100% with Donny here that there is far too much government encroachment on our hobby , and like the proverbial "tip of the iceberg" there is much more coming than initially meets the eye ........

This isn't just the government, this is the very illegal and very incompetent FAA.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I don't agree that the feds can legally do a lot of things but it doesn't seem to stop them. Odds are you'll never be asked for your registration or struck by lighting but ya never know.
Mike
If you don't register the government will never know how many model aircraft flyer's are out there. It's killing the hobby but AMA doesn't seem to understand that many are quitting the hobby or just quitting the AMA over this.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:27 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
This isn't just the government, this is the very illegal and very incompetent FAA.
Hi Sport ,

Your 100% correct , and my use of "government" was a wide cast net that includes all branches of the government , most especially the FAA .
Old 05-10-2017, 04:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Make no mistake control over us is desired, and has occured. And a fee has been established, you say it's no big deal? well how long do you think it will take for the fee to be increased? there is a method to most madness, and it ain't in your favor.

If history is any indication, it will be a 5 dollar fee for a long time. Full scale is and has been for as long as I can remember a 5 dollar administrative fee to register.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:39 AM
BarracudaHockey

If history is any indication, it will be a 5 dollar fee for a long time. Full scale is and has been for as long as I can remember a 5 dollar administrative fee to register.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:45 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Agreed once in place a "tax" is never removed.

Mike
Old 05-10-2017, 05:37 AM
BarracudaHockey

My point is that it's not a gateway to a money grab for higher prices as soon as everyone is comfortable with the 5 dollars.

Even at 400K registrations, its a pocket change in the FAA budget thats scratching a billion dollars if memory serves.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:40 AM
rcmiket

My point is that it's not a gateway to a money grab for higher prices as soon as everyone is comfortable with the 5 dollars.

Even at 400K registrations, its a pocket change in the FAA budget thats scratching a billion dollars if memory serves.
Never said " money grab" but once in place these are never rolled back. More than likely increased if anything..

Mike
Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 AM
BarracudaHockey

Again, they have been 5 dollars for full scale for I can't remember how many years, I don't think ours will be going up any time soon.

That was the point of my original post that was a response to the post I quoted saying the same thing.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:17 AM
rcmiket

Again, they have been 5 dollars for full scale for I can't remember how many years, I don't think ours will be going up any time soon.

That was the point of my original post that was a response to the post I quoted saying the same thing.

Understood. With that said we have no idea what the feds have in store for the hobby side and I hope very little. The 5 bucks was a reaction to pressure from Congress to do something about the "issues". We have no idea what the future holds.

Mike
Old 05-12-2017, 08:24 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

A recent news report ........................ there currently is over 820,000 registered drones? x $5 = $4,100,000 nice budget boost!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:11 AM
funflyer99

A recent news report ........................ there currently is over 820,000 registered drones? x $5 = $4,100,000 nice budget boost!
Is the most recent news report, common sense rules.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robot...ster-your-drone
Old 05-25-2017, 06:57 AM
jimbrock2

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think that the registration and fee have been ruled illegal by a DC Court, since model aviation is expressly excluded in the FAA act. But I am older than the hills and my memory is a bit blotchy.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:10 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yes thats correct.

Now we wait for what comes next