Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

New events that rival Top Gun, Nall, and the big jet shows???

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New events that rival Top Gun, Nall, and the big jet shows???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default New events that rival Top Gun, Nall, and the big jet shows???

I've always wanted to get something set up in the west that rivals all the other events. We have the perfect airport for it in Stead Nevada. There's almost always great weather with afternoon winds, depending on the time of year, a ton of infrastructure, a ton of space, and even spectator amenities like permanent grandstands. Seems like every time I talk to people about it there's a millions reasons it's impossible, and there doesn't seem to be any interest in something new (which seems par for the course in the RC community), but things like this happen all the time around the country. If people can suffer through places like the Midwest and South in the Summer with the heat and humidity, a nice dry, comfortable show should be something that people are interested in. Not to mention we have enough hotel rooms to house a large chuck of the people that fly RC around the country within minutes, and a place for the wives to blow all your money you were planning on spending on that new plane. Oh, and I know it's a great place for flying events because it is also the home of the Reno National Championship Air Races.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	STEAD.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	2161950   Click image for larger version

Name:	stead2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	562.5 KB
ID:	2161951  

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 05-10-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
I've always wanted to get something set up in the west that rivals all the other events. We have the perfect airport for it in Stead Nevada. There's almost always great weather with afternoon winds, depending on the time of year, a ton of infrastructure, a ton of space, and even spectator amenities like permanent grandstands. Seems like every time I talk to people about it there's a millions reasons it's impossible, and there doesn't seem to be any interest in something new (which seems par for the course in the RC community), but things like this happen all the time around the country. If people can suffer through places like the Midwest and South in the Summer with the heat and humidity, a nice dry, comfortable show should be something that people are interested in. Not to mention we have enough hotel rooms to house a large chuck of the people that fly RC around the country within minutes, and a place for the wives to blow all your money you were planning on spending on that new plane. Oh, and I know it's a great place for flying events because it is also the home of the Reno National Championship Air Races.

What, no interest in anything new you say, with RC?

What you are describing is called apathy. Sure folks love to go to a an event, but to work and plan one, err...no thanks! It's the same thing you probably see at local clubs right, great ideas, but try to staff something like that up, almost impossible. Those that do show, are the same 10% that always do.

But dare to dream, and keep looking into it. It sounds like you are in a dream destination and have the infrastructure. First place I'd go is to your local AVP (Eric Henderson), and perhaps loop in the District VP as well (Lawrence Tougas). You are in a pretty active district. Start the ball rolling there. How many clubs are there in your general area, would they all be willing to be involved.

Next you'll want a host sponsor, like Horizon. They were the sponsor for a jet rally up in Maine at a location much smaller than yours, but brought in folks from all over the world. Your location looks big enough to host all kinds of RC, consider a dirt track somewhere for cars/trucks, and separate areas for helis, and yes...even the dreaded D word...drones. I bet a nice FPV track could be set up.

Anyway, good luck. I think attendance at many of these events are down a little bit, but I bet your event could be a huge draw if done up right.