Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Airport Notifications under 336 / 101.41 - Graphic I made to explain

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Airport Notifications under 336 / 101.41 - Graphic I made to explain

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 09:42 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airport Notifications under 336 / 101.41 - Graphic I made to explain

Made this for a client to describe airport notifications required under PL112-95 Section 336 / 14 CFR 101.41 - as compared to airport notification requirements under the AMA safety code. I can post supporting reference documents if anyone needs them, but they're all available on the web.

Posted here in case anyone else finds value in it.

Note: I added a PDF version which will print the text more cleanly, though the shading on the diagram looks a little funky. But that's probably less important.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Airport notification requirements.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	2175963   Airport notification requirements.pdf  

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-07-2016 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added PDF version
Old 08-06-2016, 02:30 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you. Printing it now.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:52 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Franklin.

This hobby needs more people like you.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:59 AM
Silent-AV8R

Section 336's notification requirement obviates the AMA Safety Code notification requirement since 3 miles is less than 5 miles whether you are talking about statute or nautical miles. So there is no longer any need for the AMA's notification requirement since you will have already notified an airport if you are within 5 SM of it.

BTW, the FAA has clarified that they view Section 336 which, which did not say which kind of miles either as meaning SM and not NM.

Footnote #9 bottom of page 13:

9 For ease of determining distance, the FAA interprets the statute to mean 5 statute miles
Old 08-08-2016, 05:21 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Section 336's notification requirement obviates the AMA Safety Code notification requirement since 3 miles is less than 5 miles whether you are talking about statute or nautical miles. So there is no longer any need for the AMA's notification requirement since you will have already notified an airport if you are within 5 SM of it.

BTW, the FAA has clarified that they view Section 336 which, which did not say which kind of miles either as meaning SM and not NM.

Footnote #9 bottom of page 13:

I would argue yes, the AMA's notification requirement is moot at this point. I prepared the document with the intent of making it as free from opinion as possible, thus I chose not to include that statement.

Yes, I read note 9 at the bottom of page 13 in the FAA's interpretation. That's why I included it in the note next to * at the bottom of the page. It's paraphrased for space, but substantively correct.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Yes, I read note 9 at the bottom of page 13 in the FAA's interpretation. That's why I included it in the note next to * at the bottom of the page. It's paraphrased for space, but substantively correct.
And yet the way you wrote it the intent was clear to impugn the AMA for not specifying the type of miles, which 336 does not do either. Fortunately the FAA did clarify the potential misunderstanding about the type of miles.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
And yet the way you wrote it the intent was clear to impugn the AMA for not specifying the type of miles, which 336 does not do either. Fortunately the FAA did clarify the potential misunderstanding about the type of miles.
The statement was factually correct, the AMA has yet to define it, and the FAA has.

It's not my fault that AMA has never thought to define the meaning of potentially ambiguous words in their own safety code.