Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Help with unusual project - large car/dolly to haul 60+ lbs

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Help with unusual project - large car/dolly to haul 60+ lbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:42 PM
OlUncleJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with unusual project - large car/dolly to haul 60+ lbs

Hi all,

New here, and zero RC experience.
I need to build a larger RC vehicle to haul weights of about 60+ lbs around.
Here are basic specs/requirements:
- electric motor
- speed 8 to 12 mph
- chassis about 15" x 30"
- no need for suspension at this time
- steering not absolutely necessary. I may end up building some with and some without steering.
- easy battery change. Motor needs to run reasonable amount of time, and when battery dies, I need to be able to switch to a fresh battery as quickly as reasonably possible. (less than 3 minutes, but <1m is far better. "Pull out, push in, done" procedure preferred.
I was thinking of starting with something like a "power wheels" or "kid trax" toy, hook it up to a controller.
Does anyone know if such motors/chassis combos exists on the commercial market? And if not what is the closest, and who can help me with it?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:42 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The fighting robot crowd will probably have more for you than we will. Years ago, they mostly used wheelchair motors, but there may be something better now. I can't think of any off the shelf RC gear made for anything that big, but it wouldn't be so hard to copy the steering setup of an RC10 or Traxxas truck.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:09 PM
OlUncleJoe

THX for the answer.
I seen large "ride-on" toys that have RC. I think such a rig would be perfect for me. Question is where to get the components from.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:36 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the purpose of this vehicle ?
Old 08-26-2016, 04:46 AM
OlUncleJoe

Originally Posted by TomCrump
What is the purpose of this vehicle ?
Carrying equipment between two sites with some area that's not easily accessible between. It will go back & forth often, mostly in a straight line.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:25 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you want the parts from a ride on toy, browse Craigslist. The plastic bodies on those are usually ruined before the motors and switches are, so you can get them cheap. There's one in my backyard now you could have if you lived close. You could scavenge the motor, battery, wheels, and steering from a ride on toy and add a real brushed ESC if you want to have real control over the speed and not just on/off. You'll need a linear actuator for the steering and a BEC to power it and the radio gear. If you really want to fancy it up, you could add a 3DR controller to it and have autonomous capabilities where it navigates a path using GPS.