Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fun Fly insight

Old 08-27-2016, 05:03 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Fun Fly insight

Looking for some advice, experience, wisdom, criticism in CD'ing a Fun Fly for fixed-wing aircraft in the present day. Perhaps it should include any type aircraft...

Tried in vein to find a thread that I remember had some valuable fun-fly info in it but gave up. First time CD'ing a fun-fly and would like to find out what is involved in running one.

Goal is to just get club members involved. Wondering if "traditional" fun-fly events will work well in today's club atmosphere. e.g. - Would it be advisable to avoid certain tasks like taxiing events and might they turn away possible would-be contestants using aircraft flown today? In other words, can E-power operate alongside glow/gas in this environment? I'm already thinking from past experience as a contestant, that limbos can be airplane breakers... Also, what's an appropriate number of tasks to ask of the contestants?

Would also like to hear about marking out a field with lime, flour, or some other media to denote point awarding zones. What can be used to distribute these markings in straight lines w/o specialized equipment?

Looked through some old club newsletters and found typical events like: taxiing obstacle course; bomb drop - using a cup strapped to the airplane carrying hardware (nut) with a streamer or an egg as the bomb; climb and glide; most loops in 30 seconds; most touch and goes in 2 minutes; all up, last down; end zone landing; etc.

Is extra help required? What have others used for prizes?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:12 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since no one else has replied up to this point I will offer a couple of points that I have witnessed as deal breakers when it comes to fun flys. And that is simply too many events. The set up times between events and events that are excessively complicated, this often requires to many helpers.

The number of helpers if excessive can be problematical also. This especially so if they want to participate .

I believe the biggest event breaker is just too many events. I have done wingless trainer races in the past and they were the most successful type of event but it was only the races and nothing else. They were relatively simple to run and only required two cones about 100 feet apart out in the center of the runway.

John
Old 08-30-2016, 07:34 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Our Club has a low key monthly Fun Fly,, Mostly just to have a reason to make Burgers and Dogs,, But it allows for outreach to other clubs too and give guys that may want to fly at our field a time or two without joining.

We also have a low key contest, last week it was the Loops in 30 seconds you mention, before we've done the egg drop and balloon break, or a simple aerobatics routine,, and we have a small prize for the winner, Under $15 usually, but it's Fun,, that's the point.

For us.It doesn't many people at all, Maybe two guys to judge the event and one guy to to cook burgers/dogs,, if you can't get 3 guys to donate an hour each on a Saturday,, you got big problems

good luck
Old 08-30-2016, 09:38 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

To me the most enjoyable fun flys I've been to didn't have any competitions whatsoever , but instead were catered to a specific type of craft (but of course with anyone welcome to bring anything they choose if they don't happen to have one of the featured aircraft) . Things like "Biplane Day" or " WW2 Warbird Day" with nothing more than casual flying accompanied by the all important burgers & dogs don't really take a whole lot of planning or helpers cause there are no competitive events being held . I know , most folks usually call what I'm describing a "fly in" , but when I hear "fun fly" and see the sometimes less than friendlier moments the competitiveness brings out in some folks , the competitions don't look all that much like meaningless fun to me , more like serious attempts to be the best and take the prize . Now of course I truly have nothing wrong with competitions mind you , it's just that now you've crossed the line from meaningless fun to serious fun , and it all depends on what kind of event your looking for .
Old 08-30-2016, 02:43 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H5606
Looking for some advice, experience, wisdom, criticism in CD'ing a Fun Fly for fixed-wing aircraft in the present day. Perhaps it should include any type aircraft...

Tried in vein to find a thread that I remember had some valuable fun-fly info in it but gave up. First time CD'ing a fun-fly and would like to find out what is involved in running one.

Goal is to just get club members involved. Wondering if "traditional" fun-fly events will work well in today's club atmosphere. e.g. - Would it be advisable to avoid certain tasks like taxiing events and might they turn away possible would-be contestants using aircraft flown today? In other words, can E-power operate alongside glow/gas in this environment? I'm already thinking from past experience as a contestant, that limbos can be airplane breakers... Also, what's an appropriate number of tasks to ask of the contestants?

Would also like to hear about marking out a field with lime, flour, or some other media to denote point awarding zones. What can be used to distribute these markings in straight lines w/o specialized equipment?

Looked through some old club newsletters and found typical events like: taxiing obstacle course; bomb drop - using a cup strapped to the airplane carrying hardware (nut) with a streamer or an egg as the bomb; climb and glide; most loops in 30 seconds; most touch and goes in 2 minutes; all up, last down; end zone landing; etc.

Is extra help required? What have others used for prizes?
Start small and test the waters. Just make it a fun fly, epowered or otherwise. Our club has a Pylon event, Rotary event, Electric fun fly, and then Giant Scale. For the giant scale, e powered, nitro, and gas are allowed as long as the aircraft is 80 inches, or 60 for biplane. We've scrapped a lot of the events within the events and just made it about flying and fun. We do a 5 minute electric combat at lunchtime that's been a big hit. These events used to be bigger events that required 20-30 people to staff up for two days at a time, all events are now one day except the Giant Scale (where folks from 3 states come in for). The raffle tables used to have 25-35 things and needed two people to run (in additional to constantly begging for stuff from vendors). We do two items now, usually a new transmitter, and other other a Carbon Z T-28 or Cub. WIth 30-45 pilots on average plus spectators, we usually do 700-900 in sales just for that. Sure, we could get 1500 the way we used to, but it's a matter of time/effort. The money goes back to the club for improvements, and we always make cash donations to local foodbanks as well. We also send out e-mails to clubs in the 50 mile radius just to remind them. Hit up local news stations as well (if you get a story in the media, let the AMA know, you get some cash for that too!). Good luck, and have fun.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:38 AM
H5606

Thanks for the input; this fun-fly is supposed to be a small part of a picnic the club has on an annual basis. Historically speaking, unlike other clubs, this particular club has never been creative or active in holding events in part due to a state of apathy from its club members and I'm certainly one of 'em too...

Based on the feedback, I'll take the advise - try to keep it simple and low key. I'd hate to go to all the trouble of marking out the runway only to find no one's interested in participating. I have a little bit of concern over setting up some taxiing event and losing potential contestants because they don't have landing gear or some other scenario as such.

I was allowed a budget to purchase small prizes (CA, epoxy, wheel collars, hinges, hex wrenches, iron sock, T-pins, Z-bend pliers, etc.) for the contestants so I'm hoping this will be some incentive to gain participation. Thought I would allow contestants to choose from these prizes according to placement as was practiced in a club I belonged to previously that seemed to work well.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:34 PM
porcia83
Banned

one other thought..consider getting a nice item for a raffle prize. Try to get the item donated, or at a reduced price. Hobby shops have budgets to do that from some manf.... Sell raffle tickets and make the club some cash along the way. Good luck, update the thread as to how it goes.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:03 AM
H5606

I'll go out on a limb and say the fun-fly ended up being successful based on applause and a single email feedback from a member acknowledging having enjoyed the occasion as a spectator.

I decided to hold four events around noon the day of the picnic. The four events were: a blind taxi balloon bust (3 pts), a dice roll & lap (3 pts.), touch and go's in 2 minutes (2 pts.), and spot landing (1 pt.). I was able to essentially run the entire contest myself although one would-be contestant volunteered to help set up balloons for each contestant that I was grateful for.

What I learned: gaining participation was difficult - communication and getting the word out - I got perhaps a third of those I asked to participate the day of the event; logistics of how to transport already blown up balloons out to the flight-line in a slight breeze was remedied by grabbing a trash-bag and storing them in it. Luckily, I brought a small folding table to the field to roll dice and display prizes; inadvertently hitting buttons on the stop-watch while kneeling to help someone startup was an annoyance; Don't know how its normally handled but I decided to apportion a weighting factor to the events to try to avoid ties (not sure if this is the best way to deal with the situation because one guy that won two of the events ended up in third place...) I used a can of white upside down marking paint to mark out a start box and target box and that was sufficient to run all events.

Finish this later...
Old 09-24-2016, 11:14 AM
porcia83
Banned

Fantastic news....interested to hear the rest.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:45 PM
H5606

Continuing other issues to address: putting a time limit on certain events may be warranted to keep things moving forward and prevent waning interest (I decided a max of 5 minutes for the balloon busting task); making sure the contestants know the rules of the task at hand - perhaps a demo would have been helpful for all involved; I didn't formally shut down the field for this fun-fly and thought it might become a problem, but it seemed to turn out alright; keeping things moving smoothly like not having to stand around and wait for the next guy to bring his airplane up to the flight-line and startup or collect a downed airplane; I could have combined the last two events into one flight per contestant but forgot; what I thought would only take an hour to run with six contestants actually took a couple hours along with a tallying of scores and brief awards ceremony...

Worth a mention here - I don't know if there's an official name, but I called it a "blind taxi balloon bust" - it was relayed to me by a colleague at work and I was able to describe it to the contestants without ever having seen it myself. It involves the pilot taxiing into a balloon with their back turned to the flight-line while being directed by verbal commands to the target by a (supposed to be) non-flying assistant or spouse in the shortest time. It looked like fun - at least from a spectator's point of view. Had to laugh when one pilot asked his assistant if his airplane was even moving yet... The wingless trainer races mentioned earlier sound like lots of fun as well.

Last edited by H5606; 09-24-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:13 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most successful Fun-Fly ever was the Tropical Fun-Fly in San Jose, Costa Rica. It took place 20 years, back in the days when we could travel with airplanes and electronics. It earned sponsorship from LACSA and American Airlines, local hotels, even a helicopter (full-size) sight-seeing company one year. We had flyers come from as far east as Pakistan, as far west as Thailand. More closer in, Europeans, Canadians came in great numbers. They came from the other end of S. America, Brazil, Chile - one year there were 25 Argentines present. Not only Ugly Stik flyers, the rich and famous like Quique Somenzini and Dave Dave Brown, Don Lowe, Mark Smith, etc.came and flew.
The only man-on-man judged events was streamer combat- the winner is easy to judge. One year we raced sig "Wonders, and he year Carl Goldberg died, in his honor, we raced "Eaglets. All other Best-Of categories were decided by pilot written votes. Classes varied from year to year, but there were simple ones - the fastest, the best finish, best civil, best military, prettiest, ugliest (airplanes NOT pilot), with the flyers also having input as to categories.
And we FLEW - there were always two or three in the air. And we ate and drank and danced and told stories and lies in varied languages. Few ever came only once!
Of the 20 - I attended 19!!!!!!