Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Newbie looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 AM
KIRKMCK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for advice

Hey all my name is kirk ive recently starting digging into the rc hobby and trying toget my foot in the door. I am from the usa and im interested in the traxxas brand.
I would love to see what kind of info is available out there. Please post links to any sources that maybe normally overlooked. I have watched alot of rc videos on youtube and read a few different websights on rc and hope to see what else is out there. Also any pictures of at home work stations or tools maybe a basic list of supplies. Or an indepth list would be cool.
Thank you all in advance and hope to meet some of you interesting people, while picking your brains for knowledge.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:35 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to RCU

The RC world is huge; cars, boats, planes, drones, robots, etc. What area are you interested in getting into first? I myself mess with all of them but primarily cars and trucks.

Traxxas is a good brand to start with, they have a wide variety of offerings, provide good parts support, and stuff is of an overall good quality.

A couple more questions:

- What Traxxas models interest you?

- Approximately what are you willing to spend to get started?

- What kind of technical/mechanical/engineering skills do you have?

Feel free to post here or go over to the car/truck or any other section, I am a moderator for cars/trucks and I generally haunt those forums. You can also PM me if you have questions.

Once again welcome and I hope you enjoy this hobby!
Old 09-23-2016, 03:49 PM
KIRKMCK

So I'm mostly wanting to start on solid ground. I'm looking at the slash 4x4. I'm decentry handy in all fields. Budget wise I'd be willing to spend probably 500 for rtr truck with maybe 150 starting tools and parts. Now that is starting I know I'll be breaking stuff and I will be able to stock parts most likely to break. Ty for the warm welcome.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:06 PM
sheograth

The Slash 4x4 RTR is a good place to start.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXFLRA**&P=ML

That combo includes the car with all electronics, battery, and charger. All you would need is basic hobby tools. It's been a while since I bought a Traxxas RTR package but I'm pretty sure you'll get some tools with it for simple stuff. But a good hex set, screwdrivers, etc would be helpful.

Start out driving on pavement and be gentle with the throttle (even with a NiMh battery these brushless motors are pretty powerful)

Once you get comfy with the handling start pushing the limits. Stock parts for the slash are cheap to replace and readily available online and often in hobby stores. Upgrade to stronger aftermarket parts if you want or need to.

Basically fool around, have fun, and see where things go. This stuff can be addictive so be careful....
Old 09-24-2016, 10:59 AM
KIRKMCK

Addictive yes. After watching a lot of videos I really wanted to get something to bash with so I went to wally world and picked up a jadatoys 2wd rtr. Honestly I was really surprised with this thing. Being as cheap as it was it runs really well on any surface. I mainly just have a large grass yard with a decent sized dirt pit, and the rc ran strong. It is a brushed 2wd with lithium ion battery. The practice with steering and throttle has helped me a lot and when I get a true hobby grade rc I believethis thing will make a good starting rc for one of my children.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Get yourself a 4wd Rustler. It's your choice of nitro or electric. The performance is pretty close to the same, so it's just a matter of do you want to put fuel in or do you want to charge batteries. Having a hobby shop close by that stocks fuel is a must if you go the nitro route. If you don't have a convenient shop then you can order batteries easily enough.
I'd say the Rustler is the better basher though compared to the Slash. Its bigger tires can handle grass and rocks better than the Slash's can, and it's a bit more simple all around. The Slash definitely handles better on a smoothish dirt track, but that's a whole different aspect of the hobby.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:31 PM
sheograth

The Rustler may be a better basher overall, but the ease of electric puts it behind the Slash to me as far as a newer user is concerned. Nitro is a pain, even though I love it, we have to admit that. Gasoline and Electric are easier.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:35 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

He has a choice of nitro and electric for either vehicle. I agree that electric is the easier and more convenient power choice. I'll go so far as to say that in a few more years I don't believe that anyone will even still be making nitro powered RC cars anymore unless they are for a special nitro only racing league. But maybe he really wants a fuel powered vehicle, so my comment above was that he can choose what he wants in a 4WD Rustler and have a great basher either way.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:48 AM
sheograth

Good point, for some reason I mistakenly thought it was Nitro only. Either vehicle is good in that case, though I'd still choose the Slash for it's handling.