Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Please help. Dues and distance question.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Please help. Dues and distance question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:47 PM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dues are $60 a year. Field is 45 miles one way.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

25 minute drive, $100 a year. It's a concrete runway with paved parking on Corps of Engineers land. Not that it matters to me, but it is wheelchair accessible. We have a covered pit area with A/C power, assembly/picnic tables, city water, and a grill. The club does the mowing on the area surrounding the runway. We do a fair number of events that help keep the costs down for club members. Other clubs in the area don't offer anywhere near the value. There is one closer to me for the same annual dues that has a crabgrass field that the officer's won't approve funds to fix because they all fly giant scale 3D and don't need a runway.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jester_s1
25 minute drive, $100 a year. It's a concrete runway with paved parking on Corps of Engineers land. Not that it matters to me, but it is wheelchair accessible. We have a covered pit area with A/C power, assembly/picnic tables, city water, and a grill. The club does the mowing on the area surrounding the runway. We do a fair number of events that help keep the costs down for club members. Other clubs in the area don't offer anywhere near the value. There is one closer to me for the same annual dues that has a crabgrass field that the officer's won't approve funds to fix because they all fly giant scale 3D and don't need a runway.
If I could ask, how many members do you have? Are the members aware of how the dues are spent? Does the club have a lot of maintenance costs for the year? Your club sounds great, power outlets, water...and a grille, oh, and a paved runway. Sweet.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:49 PM
jester_s1

Originally Posted by porcia83
If I could ask, how many members do you have? Are the members aware of how the dues are spent? Does the club have a lot of maintenance costs for the year? Your club sounds great, power outlets, water...and a grille, oh, and a paved runway. Sweet.
We have around 240 members. Financial reports are given by the treasurer at every meeting and any expenditures outside of standard maintenance are discussed, voted on, and announced in the club newsletter. Taking care of grass is our biggest expense, done by member volunteers. We mow, water, and fertilize about 20 acres IIRC.

Since you're interested, I'll give some background. The club started in the 1960's and raised the money not long after to build a concrete runway and then covered pit area on leased COE property. Expansions and improvements were made as the hobby changed and funds were available. The COE decided to have us move about 7 years ago because we were on a pretty nice piece of real estate next to a lake which they wanted to use for something with broader appeal to the public. They probably spent $200k moving us, but the relocation still cost us $55k. We were told we wouldn't have to pay for anything, but when you are dealing with people who can decide to raise the rent as much as they want or just not help you at all you don't complain. We also don't complain that the dirt piles they put on our old runway 7 years ago in anticipation of demolition and construction of a nice new park are still there. I think we have been debt free for about 5 years.

Overall, the club is a well organized and well run group. People have ample opportunity to voice their opinions in club meetings, and there are enough of us to allow for some rotation in the leadership. The club culture is good too. People are helpful and welcoming to new pilots, and complainers don't find a very big audience. We have a solid number of well run and well attended events that make money and promote the hobby too.

As an aside, any club that is considering runway options should think long term if they can. Concrete is the cheapest thing you can use when you cost it out over 30 years. No maintenance, very few repairs, and no mowing. The price of gas and wear on a mower alone almost makes it worth it. And aside from that, the smooth runway makes bigger events possible as people want to fly there, not to mention adds value in areas where clubs are competing for members.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

We have around 240 members. Financial reports are given by the treasurer at every meeting and any expenditures outside of standard maintenance are discussed, voted on, and announced in the club newsletter. Taking care of grass is our biggest expense, done by member volunteers. We mow, water, and fertilize about 20 acres IIRC.

Thanks for the follow up.

Since you're interested, I'll give some background. The club started in the 1960's and raised the money not long after to build a concrete runway and then covered pit area on leased COE property. Expansions and improvements were made as the hobby changed and funds were available. The COE decided to have us move about 7 years ago because we were on a pretty nice piece of real estate next to a lake which they wanted to use for something with broader appeal to the public. They probably spent $200k moving us, but the relocation still cost us $55k. We were told we wouldn't have to pay for anything, but when you are dealing with people who can decide to raise the rent as much as they want or just not help you at all you don't complain. We also don't complain that the dirt piles they put on our old runway 7 years ago in anticipation of demolition and construction of a nice new park are still there. I think we have been debt free for about 5 years.

Overall, the club is a well organized and well run group. People have ample opportunity to voice their opinions in club meetings, and there are enough of us to allow for some rotation in the leadership. The club culture is good too. People are helpful and welcoming to new pilots, and complainers don't find a very big audience. We have a solid number of well run and well attended events that make money and promote the hobby too.

As an aside, any club that is considering runway options should think long term if they can. Concrete is the cheapest thing you can use when you cost it out over 30 years. No maintenance, very few repairs, and no mowing. The price of gas and wear on a mower alone almost makes it worth it. And aside from that, the smooth runway makes bigger events possible as people want to fly there, not to mention adds value in areas where clubs are competing for members.
What an operation, sounds ideal! Oh to have a big smooth runway, lol. The club I spend the most time at is now capped at 200 people, with an additional 15 youth members. Our dues are 65 a year, so 13k is our budget. Of that, $6500 goes to a landscaper (a member) for lawn care. We are in wetlands so we cannot fertilize or change the landscape in any way, in fact the town/state even dictates how/when we cut the grass. We have no access to water either. It wouldn't be impossible, but it would be more complicated to have members do the grass. It takes our guy about 2 hours even with two commercial machines going full time. It's a lot of money, but we are actually getting a deal given the size of the field, we actually have one for fixed wing, one for rotor. We do 6 events a year as well, in addition to hosting smaller groups like Cub Scouts or CAP cadets. We have a blacktop runway that does need upkeep...frost heaves leave cracks that need to be repaired, and recovered. Oddly enough not many folks use the runway, more so the EDF jet guys. Our grass is normally cut very short and tight, and the larger planes prefer to land on grass. Land is near impossible to find in the Northeast for this kind of use, so although we have some limitations, we're thrilled with what we have. I'm always envious when I see some of the fields in the central/midwest parts of the country. They are huge, and almost always very well appointed!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:10 AM
jester_s1

That does sound like a nice facility, given the circumstances. And if they can keep the dues at $60 a year, that's a steal. Ours went up to $100 when we moved to this new facility and it became clear that we would have some bills to pay. We are on par now with other well equipped clubs in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and some not so well equipped. The key in any club is having some leaders who are good with organization and a treasurer who knows how to pinch pennies. A second part of it is doing well run events that can grow and make money. Another club I know about has a pretty bad facility but gets the same dues we do. They waste so much of it on ideas from the club officers that aren't thought out and discussed with the membership. Then they bicker about it. I am so glad to be a part of this group. Most clubs aren't like this at all.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

That does sound like a nice facility, given the circumstances. And if they can keep the dues at $60 a year, that's a steal. Ours went up to $100 when we moved to this new facility and it became clear that we would have some bills to pay. We are on par now with other well equipped clubs in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and some not so well equipped. The key in any club is having some leaders who are good with organization and a treasurer who knows how to pinch pennies. A second part of it is doing well run events that can grow and make money. Another club I know about has a pretty bad facility but gets the same dues we do. They waste so much of it on ideas from the club officers that aren't thought out and discussed with the membership. Then they bicker about it. I am so glad to be a part of this group. Most clubs aren't like this at all.
This is our field, the lighter green area is what we mow, in addition to the heli area in the lower left. Everything else is subject to DEP/EPA rules/regs, and we do NOT mess with that. The runway was grandfathered in, I was considering expanding it with Geotex, but ultimately decided the costs and permit process wasn't worth it.

I hear you on the club dynamic issues, been there and done that. I've flown at club and attended meetings before deciding the join. If I have to sit through a monthly meeting thats 2.5 hours long and requires and intermission, I'm passing thanks. Another one was sitting on 30k in their kitty and the board turned down a request after discussion/requests to have a holiday dinner party and raffle that would have cost not more than $1,000 at worst. When I became president of the club I fly at now I removed our 125 member cap, then suggested dropping the dues, neither of which were popular (go figure). We've more than made up the drop in dues, which was eventually done at $10.00 a head, and we're at 200 members now. Totally agree on the events as well. They can be a vital part of the club atmosphere, and play a great role in promoting the hobby, gaining new members, and also bringing some cash into the til.

Still dreaming about a concrete runway, ah the life. I flew on one this year at a closed airport/airshow in NY...2200 feet. All that room and I still managed to donk a strobe light. Doh!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13498027_290809001266724_7869876369378367538_o.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	789.2 KB
ID:	2185418  
Old 10-11-2016, 04:54 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I became president of the club I fly at now I removed our 125 member cap
Singlehandedly? Is that club like a dictatorship or something?
Old 10-12-2016, 03:43 AM
jester_s1

The geotex runways are a nice compromise for clubs that can't get the funds or permits to build a concrete runway. It also can be a DIY project if you have some able bodied members with some basic skills. They do require some maintenance though, mostly because the underlying sand or dirt can get eroded away. Prop strikes can also make gashes in it. Proper grading and using roadbed rock to make a base for it will help the erosion issue though.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
Singlehandedly? Is that club like a dictatorship or something?
LOL...bless your heart. Ya, something like that...a benevolent dictatorship of 200 people.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:36 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL...bless your heart. Ya, something like that...a benevolent dictatorship of 200 people.
WOW! must be 200 sheeple!

Astro
Old 10-12-2016, 08:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Seems sorta desperate at this point..no?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:41 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So redjeep now that you got a nice sampling from RCU any decisions for your club and whats the plan?

John
Old 10-28-2016, 07:31 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 1/4 mile from my own personal field......it's basically in my back yard. Yes, I'm very blessed to live where I do and to have a huge open hayfield where I could make my runway! Naturally, the only dues are my own time mowing and fixing places where the moles tunnel and the skunks etc. dig for grubs Lol!!!