Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: Does drone racing make for good video entertainment?
YES
21.05%
NO
78.95%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions needed! Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:48 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions needed! Poll

There's been a lot of discussion recently about the popularity of drone racing and that it has been featured on television recently. I have watched some videos and telecasts, and while I understand that participating in drone racing is a kick in the pants, it does NOT make for good video telecasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WPIeXbiIK4

Please watch this video and vote, "YES" if you think it is entertaining to watch, or "NO" if you think it does not make for good video entertainment.

Thanks for your time and opinions!

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-07-2016, 04:25 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, it's like watching any sport,, if you're not "into" the sport, it's not going to be etertaining
Old 10-07-2016, 11:14 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Astro ,

I voted no , and that no vote for me encompasses pretty much ALL televised racing , be it drones , cars , horses , turtles , or any other of the myriad numbers of things folks will race . Lawnmower racing anyone ? Yep seen it , kinda funny at first , but quickly too it becomes like most other televised racing events , , , BOORING !!!! At least to me anyway . Now , near me we have a (real) car racetrack where NASCAR races and to go there for an afternoon with a group of friends and watch it live is a great afternoon outing for sure . But to me to watch it on TV is about as exciting as watching Golf

Now , when it finally does evolve (devolve ?) into "Flying robot drone wars" and the drones are knockin the crap outta each other up there with flamethrowers , lasers , and tiny guided missiles , well then yea THEN ya might have some watchable TV . For a season or two . Till the politically correct start wailing for "robot's rights"
Old 10-07-2016, 11:57 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far! I appreciate the open dialogue and that this hasn't turned into a pro or con drone thread.
This poll/thread was started simply because of all the hype that the DRL has stirred about being televised on ESPN. I watched one telecast and it was painful for me to watch. Very little viewer entertainment value as the racing drones are very small and virtually indistinguishable from one another making it impossible to keep track of who was winning the race. Kinda takes away from the excitement of watching a race (any race).
Just to make sure this poll stays on track i want to clarify that it is NOT about whether you are pro or con drones, or whether you like or dislike drone racing, it is simply asking if you find watching drone racing videos or telecasts (not live) entertaining.
Keep the votes and opinions coming guys, this is an easy one, no "right" or "wrong" answers here!!😀

Astro
Old 10-08-2016, 03:10 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes ... because it just another form of R/C. but as already said for some people if U are not directly involved it isn't fun. That is unless U are a mind Numbed NASCAR fan willing pay a lot of money to watch a bunch of idiots get in line at 200 mph and follow each other round and round for 500 miles. Idiots all waiting for some dummy to wreck.

When it comes to R/C planes on U-Tube most are boring and very few have enough info or good video stating Where, When. And Who to be of much use or entertaining. Then there is the guy that can't hold a camera steady nor in focus. The best video shows very brief start up taxi and ONE time around the patch Gear Pass and a landing and maybe a taxi back to the pits. JMHO. Even I have posted video way too long.

Then there is Pattern/IMAC Please I don't want to start another goofey argument of how valid these poles are or are not.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:32 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Yes ... because it just another form of R/C. but as already said for some people if U are not directly involved it isn't fun. That is unless U are a mind Numbed NASCAR fan willing pay a lot of money to watch a bunch of idiots get in line at 200 mph and follow each other round and round for 500 miles. Idiots all waiting for some dummy to wreck.

When it comes to R/C planes on U-Tube most are boring and very few have enough info or good video stating Where, When. And Who to be of much use or entertaining. Then there is the guy that can't hold a camera steady nor in focus. The best video shows very brief start up taxi and ONE time around the patch Gear Pass and a landing and maybe a taxi back to the pits. JMHO. Even I have posted video way too long.

Then there is Pattern/IMAC Please I don't want to start another goofey argument of how valid these poles are or are not.
I voted no for a simple reason.
Participation is fun and but to me viewing from the sidelines is like watching grass grow or paint dry. I know what you mean about pattern and IMAC. I volunteered as a scribe once at a IMAC event. It was my last. I'd much rather be flying.

Mike
Old 10-08-2016, 02:05 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Well, it's like watching any sport,, if you're not "into" the sport, it's not going to be etertaining
+1. They have videos for watching bike races, bird watching, long distance running, gardening, etc etc. "Entertainment" is in the eye of the beholder, and the beholder usually has an interest in the given content. I caught a who on PBS the other day regarding the debates of Gore Vidal and William F Buckley Jr., I found it entertaining, I'm sure many wouldn't. I say the more the merrier in terms of content, especially RC related. Plenty of ways to share the hobby nowadays.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:21 AM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Whatever floats your boat.