Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

"If I ran RCU..."

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 02:16 PM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I wonder if the admins will even read this thread. I sometimes wonder if stuff like this is started just to get some traffic. I've been on RCU for a long time - seen the ups and downs of the big software/server "upgrade".... Still have problems with cookies and logging in from time to time, but it's gotten better as time has gone on, but it's still the same stuff. The activity on most of the board is just hanging on by a thread (no pun intended)..
You better believe there reading it. They have a very good reason for doing this in the first place.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:48 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by LJE4357
You better believe there reading it. They have a very good reason for doing this in the first place.
Pardon my skepticism, but I'll believe it when I see something change on the site. I've heard the "big changes are coming" speel more than once and..... We get a slower site with embedded ads and off-site embedded links that take me (and others) off-site.

Ill believe IB and the management team want to truly make the place better if they implement any of the suggestions posted here. There have been a number of good/great suggestions.. Lights, camera, ACTION!
Old 10-16-2016, 07:53 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Pardon my skepticism, but I'll believe it when I see something change on the site.
!

Well they certainly are reading and have already acted on the problem alluded to in post #2 of this thread.

John
Old 10-16-2016, 08:22 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the "Heartbeat" It is where I always go first. I think the other site's biggest failing is not having a "Heartbeat."
Old 10-16-2016, 08:31 PM
LJE4357
Banned

Originally Posted by wnewbury
I like the "Heartbeat" It is where I always go first. I think the other site's biggest failing is not having a "Heartbeat."
You think that maybe they don't have a heartbeat, they just have a pump. That sounds like the presidential candidates. Which one has the pump?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:49 PM
LJE4357
Banned

Look at it this way, there asking for what kind of changes people want to see. All websites are made up with limitations. There are physical issues involved. What you can put on a website has nothing to do on how its configured. If limitations prevent from making a better site, then the configuration has to change. To do that, they need to know what the people want. Look at it this way. You have a map of a city. The map shows the configuration. But you don't like it, so you change the map. Now the change has to be made in the city, Go get the bulldozers.
There just asking for input. It's like flying a plane you scratch built, verses flying an ARF.

Last edited by LJE4357; 10-17-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:34 AM
LJE4357
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Another thought. The site obviously sustains itself via ads, so it's not a big deal to see them as the "price" of utilizing the site at no real cost, not a big problem there. Perhaps a monthly/annual fee can be charged to block ads when signing in, or giving members the chance to opt out of them for a fee?
Personally I don't think the people on the site should have to pay any fees. There nothing wrong with the advertisers with them paying for there advertising. They should pay more. Especially if their a large company. The problem is the small Mom & Pop business. How many are left? That's how this hobby was born in the first place. The big company's should be the ones that pay the largest amounts. Then setup a thread for the small Mom & Pops for there advertising. Just ad's no comments from others. But limit them to what the can use it for. If the want more, then they pay a one time fee for that ad. Product's that are made here in the US should get lower cost, than products that are sold here made in other country's. Let the big guys pay the major cost. There getting the majority of the business.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:30 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah, I've never seen the advertising as much of a distraction,,they did have a problem with some ad placement's in posts,, but fixed that pretty quickly,,

Giving credit where due,,

One other BIG fix would be the picture upload system,, that's the clunkiest system I've ever seen on any web site,, very annoying IMO
Old 10-19-2016, 05:05 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Database error[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bodytext, colspan: 2"]The RC Forums - RC Universe discussion forums for RC cars, rc trucks, rc airplanes, rc helis, rc boats, rc jets, rc electric helis, rc electric planes and more database has encountered a problem.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"][HR][/HR][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bodytext, colspan: 2"] Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.rcuniverse.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bodytext, colspan: 2"]The www.rcuniverse.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bodytext, colspan: 2"]We apologise for any inconvenience.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Got that several times yesterday, and again today. Does RCU really get notified when that happens, and if so...what is done about it?
Old 10-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Walther

For one thing, I sign up for instant Email notice on a thread but I never receive them. Also the search feature leave a lot to be desired.

Tom.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

On the front page, specifically the title of the ad as follows:

[h=1]Impressively equipped, for instant FPV [/h]When you click on the link, this comes up;

404 Error 404
[h=1]Page Not Found![/h] We're sorry, but we can't find the page you were looking for. It's probably some thing we've done wrong but now we know about it and we'll try to fix it. In the meantime, try one of these options:

Old 10-19-2016, 07:10 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Well they certainly are reading and have already acted on the problem alluded to in post #2 of this thread.

John
No offense, just wanted to point out that this is an example of what I eluded to in my post. I didn't actually check to see what action was taken but I assume the thread was closed, renamed or some other action an unpaid moderator could've taken. While the site could use some more of this kind of action, closing threads, shuffling sub forums and such won't fix the site's core issues.

Technical issues and the platform the site is built on hold it back. Veterans get frustrated dealing with it and leave or go on longer and longer hiatus while being active on other sites. Newbies won't stay when technical issues arise and they don't find enough veterans to interact with. Fixing the site will require investment on the backside, not just cracking the whip on the mods and admins to take a closer look at threads and the amount of subforums.

Edit: Personally this problem with iOS and the dialogue box is super frustrating as it's my preferred method of browsing forums and that's not going to change. I don't have any issues on any other forum site and one way or another I'm not going to deal with this issue much longer.

Edit #2: Ignore my post count. 10 year 1600 post RCU veteran on a former account.

Last edited by Mechanicaloverlord; 10-19-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:16 AM
SAB

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's the issues I'd like to see improved:
1) RCU is much slower than other forums to load/ access threads etc. In particular uploading pictures takes what feels like "forever" - long enough sometimes abandon the thread - just doesn't happen with other forums
2) Notification of a thread update is too slow - 24+ Hrs typically
3) Ads are too intrusive

Finally, I believe RCU management just need to determine how other major RC forums perform then aim to beat that performance.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback,

Steve
Old 10-21-2016, 11:41 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

I meant to post this earlier but didn't feel like doing the screen cap, upload to Photobucket dance at the time. Came to check on this thread and was reminded I should as this one is pretty good. You know all those sticky's posted all over linking to this thread? This is what I see when I click on the link within those stickys to try and get to this thread so I can tell you what's wrong with the site.

Err, nope. Sorry, can't get there from here. Manual navigation required.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DA9DD9C7-600E-45A9-B7F8-49D2F9C20899_zps6t6hhljv.png
Views:	50
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	2186919  
Old 10-21-2016, 11:45 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

Little bit clearer

Name:	IMG_0802.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	2186920  

Last edited by Mechanicaloverlord; 10-21-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:46 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

Edit: Crap. Tried editing the 1st post but due to dialogue box issues and my screen scrolling to the bottom on it's own in iOS, I picked the wrong dialogue box when I scrolled back up. Then it and I did it again and I ended up with 2 extra posts. That's one way to increase post count while wearing my patience extremely thin!!

Last edited by Mechanicaloverlord; 10-21-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:54 AM
scale only 4 me

Yeah,, I think that happened because Ken posted the "link" to the "announcement",, not to this "thread",, looks like the "announcement" has timed out or been taken down,,

That looks like a human error thing,,not one of the many glitches.

carry on
Old 10-24-2016, 04:19 AM
scale only 4 me

one last what would I do,,,,

Actually have someone on staff respond in a somewhat timely manor to peoples problems in these sections,,, Why are they there anyway??

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/mark...ns-problem-63/
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...-problems-239/

Guys go there with problems and pretty much are reassured no one gives a crap about their issues. Didn't used to be this way.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:16 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by collector1231
If I ran RCU, I would see if we could get more users in here by means of advertising and raising us in the Google search for "RC forum." That'd be a lot of help.
+1 on that.
An advert in RC Car Action magazine might help bringing new people here.
Definitely a better SEARCH function....
Haven't seen any around here lately, but a way to more easily "destroy all bots" would be nice. I report bots when they show up....
All in all, though, I do appreciate this site. You guys do a fine job. We thank you.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:24 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
On the front page, specifically the title of the ad as follows:

Impressively equipped, for instant FPV

When you click on the link, this comes up;

404 Error 404
Page Not Found!

We're sorry, but we can't find the page you were looking for. It's probably some thing we've done wrong but now we know about it and we'll try to fix it. In the meantime, try one of these options:

Still the first thing you see when you come onto the front page, still the first splash pic, still the first article, and still the 404 error page. I would think someone could fix it within 6 days.

If I was a vendor and paid for that, I'd be ticked off.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:00 PM
scale only 4 me

I don't get any error,, the link works too

Name:	Screenshot 2016-10-24 16.55.05.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	2187421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-10-24 16.55.18.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	2187422  
Old 10-24-2016, 03:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
I don't get any error,, the link works too

Yup, I get that far too. On that second page, when I click on the link and/or the story, the 404 error pops up. Tried it on two different systems too, and get the same result. Not shocked if it's just me, wouldn't be the the first time, won't be the last.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:33 PM
scale only 4 me

haha,,

I stopped too soon

What a train wreck

Name:	Screenshot 2016-10-24 20.29.53.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	2187438  
Old 10-26-2016, 05:40 AM
franklin_m

I'll throw another one out there --- Tapatalk compatibility. I'm finding I spend more time on RCU and HF because I can do it easily on my smartphone / tablet.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:39 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There's many issues that have arose for me over the last several years that rendered this site less useful then other sites I belong too. Most of these were mentioned in previous posts actually, so I won't go into detail too much with that stuff,

One of the bigger issues I have over less frequent use of this site is the marketplace/classified area is just a joke. Either that, or I'm just not with it enough. It just seems like one has to jump through hoops to get any deals done, as a buyer or seller. It's been a few years or more that I've bought or sold anything within this site. EBay is easier to deal with(I'm not an EBay fan.. just sayin..).. I've sent messages to sellers that never made it, and just overall haven't had any success buying a thing here.. where years ago one could find/buy/sell just about anything quickly and easily.

There used to be a very useful "forum jump" feature (or quick-navigation type feature)..that worked very well, then it went away and then came back with a much less useful "forum jump" prompt..

I joined this site less then a month after it went online, and was among one of the first moderators, and watched it grow, and it was very cool to see and watch it grow to the first 100,000 members. It was a chat going on in the moderator forum at that time, as well as posted on the home page, and it went up every day for years. I was also a moderator on the old RCOnline site that was around before this one... and when RCU acquired RCO too... that was big, and we all watched RCOnline go down.. it died nearly as fast as this one grew.... but I gotta say I haven't frequented this site very much at all in the last several years, as the changes that were made didn't make it user friendly, nor did they enhance my viewing pleasure at all.... quite the contrary, every change that's been made has literally made it more difficult to navigate, takes longer to search, near impossible to communicate reasonably easily, especially in the classifieds.

I just wish it had some of the personality it had over 10yrs ago, but instead of it advancing, its like technology stepped back 20yrs with this site. Many of my online friends frequent the other sites, and probably know what I'm saying.. but I'm not giving up on RCU, its just not efficient, which makes me only think about it a few times a month, rather then every day/every hour I read my other favorite site(s). Good luck with it. We'll see if anyone's reading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.