Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

The State Of Our Hobby --- WOW

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The State Of Our Hobby --- WOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 04:21 AM
harcosparky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
In every type of retail, the guru behind the counter is a dying breed, replaced by 21 year olds that can be hired cheap and fired easily. The market has dictated that, so that's how it will be.
21 year old who cannot make change without the help of a computer!!!! ROFLMAO

EXAMPLE: I made a purchase, it came to $9.45.
I hand the clerk $10.45 so he could give me back a $1.00 bill.
He says " you gave me too much money " and hands me back the 45 cents.
Then he proceeds to count out 55 cents in change.

His terminal even has a picture showing two quarters and one nickel that he was to give me back.
I wonder if he did not have two quarters, would he have been smart enough to give me the change with other coins or would he have had to call the manager to get quarters?

Now that is an example of what our schools are producing today.
The future of America looks bright .......... not really.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:09 AM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harcosparky,

Have you ever been to Lebanon? It is the second Saturday in March. It is less than two hours from Bel Air. It is a huge show for buying and selling. Lots of old kits for sale, but many are over priced. The good stuff goes quick. But you can buy fuel etc as there are distributors and hobby shops selling at great prices.

J330, are you in IRKS? There was a forum a month or two ago which Greg Doe and I were reminiscing about pylon racing at Valkaryia in the 70's and Stu Richmond.

belairbob
Old 12-29-2016, 09:44 AM
Vulturetec

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Now we have a bunch who can't solve the simplest set up issue or even understand how a radio works.
It is fun to watch though.
No, no, no, no, NO!

They don't even call it a radio. It's a "remote" or a "controller". First time I heard someone ask me about my "remote" all I could think of was my TV.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:50 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=Dealspeed;12290451]
Originally Posted by J330
My favorite phrase. I hear this excuse in many situations.
I don't have time to join a gym, read a book, or post excuses.

Not having much spare time is the norm when you work nearly 60 hours a week and have 2 young children and a wife, despite these things I'm still using what little bit of personal time I have to build my very first kit.
And yes I love ARF's they allow me to enjoy the best part of this great hobby, being able to fly is more important to me than building, I do enjoy the building and tinkering as well, but I do not agree with some people's view that your not a true RC plane enthusiast if you don't scratch/kit build.

One of the RC fields in my area is full of old grumpy asses that think people who don't build from scratch don't deserve to be in there presence or fly off there tarmac, guys like that ruin the hobby for others, last I heard they were about too lose there field because of a lack of members and funds, nobody wanted to join there grumpy conceded ass club
Well said Dealspeed .

Just last week I was lamenting the fact that no one grows their own Balsa anymore or casts their own engine's crankcases , I wonder how the hobby will ever survive this scourge of pre cut balsa and pre built engines ?

The hobby will survive just fine and will be whatever it's participants want it to be ! I have been around so long I not only predate ARFs , I predate plastic shrink wrap covering and we had to Dope & silk (or Dope & "silkspan" a tough paper cheaper than silk) all of our models , for real . So my first days were pre cut kits or homebuilts with the Dope & fabric that ruled the day . Well , along came Monokote and the "establishment" flyers scoffed , "Oh great , the plane comes in it's own plastic garbage bag for when ya crash it" . Me , the fumes of Dope literally made me puke if I was exposed to them for the amounts of time required to do a proper finish on a model airplane so I took to the Monokote like a Duck to water and never looked back . By the time ARFs came out I was SO old that the repetitive motions of sanding Balsa and hours required to properly build a kit really weren't in the cards , so again I took to the ARFs , but each with my own modifications & improvements (Like actually gluing the wood together) to make them just a bit different than everyone else's ARF .

The thing is , I never disliked any plane I owned and I couldn't have cared less who else liked them or not ! Similarly , I never cast any judgements on what my fellow flyers were having fun flying because it simply wasn't MY place to go deciding for them what was "hobby proper" or not . "hobby proper" is having fun with what you fly and respecting what the fellow flyer want's to fly , because once the fun goes away so do the participants !

We old guys like our airplanes simply because airplanes were fairly young when we were young . They were the hottest new latest & greatest technology that a youngster naturally gravitates toward , just as the youngsters of the 1960s were fascinated with the "Space Race" and today's youngsters are fascinated with Drones . Tell me , do airplanes & rockets hold any "latest & greatest" new technology interest for tomorrow's hobbyist , or will they be attracted to their time's cutting edge tech ? Yes indeed as an "old times" nostalgia hobby our planes will live long after we're gone with the few in society given to preserving old technology just like today there are still youngsters in the vacuum tube radio hobby , but the days of the kit built balsa traditional RC plane being the mainstay of the hobby have certainly ended just as all advancing technology will alter the hobbies catering to it . And if the folks participating , flying whatever technological evolution brings , are having as much fun flying their aircraft as I've had flying mine , yes indeed , the hobby will survive just fine ....
Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 AM
BelAirBob

Hi, init4fun.....you left out carving your own propellers......

There are still a lot of kits out there. Sig has some excellent ones with the laser cut parts, but that was another technology that helped kit building. When I was a kid, I sure hated cutting out the parts that were stamped on the balsa. Balsa USA has lots of support and all the Great Planes kits were good too. I do miss Midwest.

As init4 fun says, who cares if someone else likes them or not
Old 12-29-2016, 11:34 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by init4fun
because once the fun goes away so do the participants !
Hobby shops are closing.

Flying fields are fewer in numbers than year past. AMA says paid membership is dwindling.

At one flying field I have driven past daily over the last 8 - 10 years, I can say with certainty that the number of fliers there is dwindling, based on the fact that the gates are closed and locked more often than not.

Hmmmmm ..........

The thing is , I never disliked any plane I owned
Not sure I can buy this one. I know most have owned one plane or another that for some reason they disliked it.

I know I did not like the foam planes I owned in the past, and thus will avoid them in the future.

Well said Dealspeed .

Just last week I was lamenting the fact that no one grows their own Balsa anymore or casts their own engine's crankcases.
Yes, almost all of the old craftsman have passed on! ROFLMAO

I have been known to machine my own parts ...... you have to, if you want to keep flying vintage helicopters. ( no balsa wood needed )

I've also been know to mold my own fiberglass parts where needed.

It's nice to have those skill sets.

As for Amateur Radio ----- you mentioned youth in vacuum tube radio today ---- I have been licensed in that hobby for more years than I care to remember.

Youth in vacuum tube Radio ??? Yeah OK! Sure......... where are they? The ARRL would like to know.

I work with several Amateur Radio clubs in licensing new amateurs ..... the youth getting their license are primarily interested in well ...... appliance operating.

I blame the FCC is part for removing the code requirement AND openly publishing the exam questions / answers.

I know of a couple of Extra Class Amateurs ( highest license class in Amateur Radio ) who thought Ohm's Law was written by some Senator named " Ohm's " I thought they were kidding .... at first.

When I asked how they passed their exams ...... " oh we memorized the questions and answers. "

Oh well ........ life goes on!!!!!!!

Last edited by harcosparky; 12-29-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:40 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by Vulturetec
No, no, no, no, NO!

They don't even call it a radio. It's a "remote" or a "controller". First time I heard someone ask me about my "remote" all I could think of was my TV.
I am one of the few who still flies an airplane with a transmitter that requires an FCC license.

I was the only one in the club, so they had to make a special frequency pin just for me!

Never had to worry about someone else using my frequency!
Old 12-29-2016, 11:56 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by harcosparky
I am one of the few who still flies an airplane with a transmitter that requires an FCC license.

I was the only one in the club, so they had to make a special frequency pin just for me!

Never had to worry about someone else using my frequency!
The FPV guys need a license depending on power. Now if they have one or not is up for debate.

Mike
Old 12-29-2016, 12:57 PM
franklin_m

Sometimes, the LHS does it to themselves. There's one in my area that sells RC planes and such. I go in ready to plop down over $500 on a BNF Blade 500 heli - one of the high dollar items in the store. I talk to the owner, and tell him that I want to support my LHS, so if he can match the online retailer that gives me a lower price (including tax) plus free shipping, I'd rather buy from him. Difference was about $15. He said no. So I drive home. I'm home about an hour and he calls. Says that if I come back, he'll split the difference with me. So I drove there once, you said no, and you're asking me to make a second round trip? I point out that it already cost me $5 in gas to drive there the first time, and would be another $5 to make a second trip. And for what? The chance to pay $7 or so MORE than the online retailer? I said no. Purchased it online and had it within 4 days. What he doesn't know is that to this date (2 years) I've not set foot in that store again. Not for glue, not for parts, not even for glow fuel. Not for nothing. He lost me forever as a customer.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:10 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
And yes I love ARF's they allow me to enjoy the best part of this great hobby, being able to fly is more important to me than building,
I took 20 years off from the hobby to raise a family, they didn't even have RCU back then.
If flying is your thing, do it.
Keep the wife happy.

Last edited by J330; 01-30-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: bad language
Old 12-29-2016, 02:25 PM
harcosparky

The FPV guys need a license depending on power. Now if they have one or not is up for debate.

Mike
The license is strictly for the video link.

I had a license for the aircraft control on 50 Mhz and the same license covered the TV transmitters operation on 432 Mhz.

On the one plane we had three TV transmitter/camera setups.

I could fly that one over the corn fields using the video links to look for downed RC aircraft.

It was a modified 1/4 Scale Cub built from plans .... one of the mods was extended flying surfaces ..... wings out to 10'.

But that was 15 years ago, in what I have been seeing ..... probably could not build that one again.

However with the newer smaller TV transmitters and cameras I might be able to fit it all in the Hanger-9 Super Cub.

Last edited by harcosparky; 12-29-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:40 PM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Sometimes, the LHS does it to themselves. There's one in my area that sells RC planes and such. I go in ready to plop down over $500 on a BNF Blade 500 heli - one of the high dollar items in the store. I talk to the owner, and tell him that I want to support my LHS, so if he can match the online retailer that gives me a lower price (including tax) plus free shipping, I'd rather buy from him. Difference was about $15. He said no. So I drive home. I'm home about an hour and he calls. Says that if I come back, he'll split the difference with me. So I drove there once, you said no, and you're asking me to make a second round trip? I point out that it already cost me $5 in gas to drive there the first time, and would be another $5 to make a second trip. And for what? The chance to pay $7 or so MORE than the online retailer? I said no. Purchased it online and had it within 4 days. What he doesn't know is that to this date (2 years) I've not set foot in that store again. Not for glue, not for parts, not even for glow fuel. Not for nothing. He lost me forever as a customer.
So the LHS rents a building, pays utilities to keep it lit and comfy, spends money to keep inventory on hand so customers can come in and put their hands on the product before handing over their money ..... not to mention that the LHS can and will support the product he sells and according to you that is not worth 3% over mail order? ( $500.00 X .03 = $15.00 )
Old 12-29-2016, 02:46 PM
harcosparky

Everyone in my area refuses to join http://www.irks.org/ Check out what their motto is on the homepage. For the reason you gave. Arrogance. Superiority. We decline membership.
Their motto " The Best R/C Club In The South " and that indicate arrogance?

What would you prefer for a Motto .......
a) The Worse R/C Club In The South
b) The Mediocre R/C Club In The South
c) Because We Might Offend Someone We Have No Motto

You know, they might just well be the best R/C club in the south ......... I'm not from down there but I have heard of people speak of them, so they seem to be well known.

I know one of the main reasons people won't join clubs is because most clubs require members to be current AMA members.

Last edited by harcosparky; 12-29-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:54 PM
harcosparky

Anyway this thread was supposed to be about Hobby Shops and the quality of products on the market today versus what was on the market yesterday and not about the builders who want it " right " versus the buyers who want it " right NOW ".

I tore apart an older FUTABA transmitter to replace one of the gimbals. Man it was like something NASA would own compared to one of the newer transmitters I had the pleasure of digging into.

I've worked in the aerospace industry and in fact on the NASA Shuttle program .... so I know what they like.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:55 PM
franklin_m

So the LHS rents a building, pays utilities to keep it lit and comfy, spends money to keep inventory on hand so customers can come in and put their hands on the product before handing over their money ..... not to mention that the LHS can and will support the product he sells and according to you that is not worth 3% over mail order? ( $500.00 X .03 = $15.00 )
Yep. Because cost matters. For that 3%, I was able to get another set of skids for a heli. BTW, if he'd offered to drop it by my house, that would have swayed me. But it was about me coming to him as opposed to him fighting for my business.

"To keep inventory on hand so you can come in..." or the LHS "will support the product..." Sure, it sounds great to say that, but it's got to mean something. Before this incident, I went in to buy replacement skids for a heli they were selling. It's a common replacement part, and you don't have to look far in online forums to see that it's a commonly replaced part. Not only did they not have any, they don't usually carry them. So what's the advantage of the LHS? Order from them and wait two days, and have to drive in to get them, or order myself and have them on my doorstep in a day? I don't call that support.

The reality is that very little these days depends on being able to handle it. With online forums able to share information about what is/is not needed, or what does/does not work, then need to touch or trial fit something is even less.

If LHS are to survive, especially in smaller population areas (my county has about 155,000 people), then they've got to win on service. And service has to mean something. Being able to go in and touch something doesn't count for service in my world.

Last edited by franklin_m; 12-29-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:05 PM
rcmiket

I hear that all the time. We have some that come in the shop tie me up with questions on a item ( which I don't mind) than they get to examine it first hand than leave and order it on line just to save the tax which is 8.25% here. Than they complain when we cut inventory......................................... ...........................................

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-29-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:12 PM
J330

I have visited IRKS, I have seen 20 people abandon that club to join us at the field over the past few years I've been going there. Must be a reason for that.

Last edited by J330; 01-30-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:10 PM
harcosparky

So what's it going to be ...... price or service?

Yep. Because cost matters. For that 3%,
OK price is more important.

What what???????

So now it's service ........

they've got to win on service. And service has to mean something.
In oder to get the service, you have to be a customer. In order to be a customer you have to patronize ( spend money ) in the establishment.

Being able to go in and touch something doesn't count for service in my world.
Their being there and keeping inventory on hand in fact is a service.

Last edited by harcosparky; 12-29-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:13 PM
harcosparky

I hear that all the time. We have some that come in the shop tie me up with questions on a item ( which I don't mind) than they get to examine it first hand than leave and order it on line just to save the tax which is 8.25% here. Than they complain when we cut inventory......................................... ...........................................

Mike
My Photography supplier has a huge sign on their wall.

" Bring us your internet price and well will sell it to you for that price ...... No questions asked, and NO QUESTIONS ANSWERED ! "

In other words, " If you want to avail yourself of the decades of experience and expertise we offer here ..... well that is worth something !!!!! "

Excellent staff with plenty of expertise ..... and they are well worth the price.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:58 PM
franklin_m

So what's it going to be ...... price or service?
To me it's price. But since service is often quoted as the reason to buy local, I thought I'd head off that argument early.

In oder to get the service, you have to be a customer. In order to be a customer you have to patronize ( spend money ) in the establishment.
I'd bought at $120 helicopter and a $250 helicopter from him within days of each other that same month. So I did spend money, and it didn't matter.

Their being there and keeping inventory on hand in fact is a service.
So the shop being in existence is now service? Or is it the inventory they don't have that's a service? I'm confused

Funny, your methods of making an argument / rebuttal remind me of two banned members. Similarity is amazing.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Funny, your methods of making an argument / rebuttal remind me of two banned members. Similarity is amazing.
Ok , so I'm NOT the only one who was thinking that , Thank You Franklin for saying what I was thinking ...
Old 12-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

I took 20 years off from the hobby to raise a family, they didn't even have RCU back then.
If flying is your thing, do it.
Keep the wife happy.

I've seen several types at clubs. Here in FL, it's all old grumpy asses, none build kits though.

John lives 2 miles up the road and his son is my son's age. Together we take a couple of evenings to prepare, and teach the kids how to kit build, and we make repairs to keep our weekend fun going. Saturday afternoon is our flying time. Two kits are nearly done, the kids are excited. The hobby to us, is ours, not a clubs.
Everyone in my area refuses to join http://www.irks.org/ Check out what their motto is on the homepage. For the reason you gave. Arrogance. Superiority. We decline membership.
We fly in an open field, 1000' acres. FAA is all we have.
Everyone is welcome to do as they please. Do what makes you happy, some bring their families along. Not all kit builders have bad attitudes.

Once the grumpy old scratch builders club is gone, they might show up where you're at and perhaps spread their cancer again.

Good luck.
In my area I have yet to find a good open safe place to fly, I won't fly anything larger than a 16-20 ounce electric if there are houses in the area, the only safe place I've found for glow is a AMA licensed field called Cams, I've actually heard great things about them, just haven't contacted them yet, I've never been part of a club or had a set of rules to follow, and if I'm honest I've never flown and landed on tarmac before.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:59 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Ok , so I'm NOT the only one who was thinking that , Thank You Franklin for saying what I was thinking ...

No,, you weren't
Old 12-30-2016, 07:18 AM
J330

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
In my area I have yet to find a good open safe place to fly, I won't fly anything larger than a 16-20 ounce electric if there are houses in the area, the only safe place I've found for glow is a AMA licensed field called Cams, I've actually heard great things about them, just haven't contacted them yet, I've never been part of a club or had a set of rules to follow, and if I'm honest I've never flown and landed on tarmac before.
This is the field, last Saturday. We have an area that was developed with roads and cleared, then the developer went bankrupt decades ago. Dave Platt (Dave Platt models) bought a lot that we fly on, in conjunction with the free flight association, giving everyone permission to be there, it's not private property. So all those years of uneventful flying have secured that area through today. It's very laid back and a lot of fun. In 2002 they taught me to fly again, and finding a couple of estate sales over the years, I shared the booty with them which was even more fun since flying free airplanes really brings out the aerobatic maneuvers from anyone, like a rental car of sorts. If you're ever down in FL, look us up. We use the road as a runway, it's great. We all pitch in for gas to get the grass mowed from one of the regulars that has a bush hog.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170101_121228.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	2199079   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170101_114854.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	2199080  

Last edited by J330; 01-30-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Franklin_m, I don't really understand what the shop owner did to deserve a boycott from you. You gave him a chance to compete on price and he chose to let you walk. That's his choice. Maybe he'd have lost money on the deal. I agree calling you afterwards is bad form, but at least he tried. I don't buy everything at my LHS because sometimes it's a lot better to order online. But I still buy fuel, hardware, connectors, and parts there because it's convenient. I figure since the markup on smaller stuff is higher I'm helping them stay in business anyway. They've earned my business on those items, but not on the big stuff. My point is it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.