Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

The State Of Our Hobby --- WOW

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The State Of Our Hobby --- WOW

Old 12-30-2016, 07:45 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Last edited by J330; 01-30-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:52 AM
crawler tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J330
So with no first hand knowledge you felt compelled to take an opposing stand to someone who isn't 900 miles away? I have visited IRKS, I have seen 20 people abandon that club to join us at the field over the past few years I've been going there.

How about you focus on the thread yourself before you try to get the last word in on something, 4 posts in a row is a bit much.
I live in the area, where is this field at? I'm guessing The Compound?
Old 12-30-2016, 12:26 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, you found their 3rd grade photo!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:30 PM
franklin_m

Jester,

You're right. I respect his right to make the choice to let me walk. What prompted the boycott was the call afterwards. It's a bummer for him, as I've probably purchased a couple grand worth of stuff since then, much of it he might have had a chance to sell me. While it's true that not all customers will boycott over something like this, but the LHS needs to understand that some will. I'm one of that group.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

This is the field, last Saturday. We have an area that was developed with roads and cleared, then the developer went bankrupt decades ago. Dave Platt (Dave Platt models) bought a lot that we fly on, in conjunction with the free flight association, giving everyone permission to be there, it's not private property. So all those years of uneventful flying have secured that area through today. It's very laid back and a lot of fun. In 2002 they taught me to fly again, and finding a couple of estate sales over the years, I shared the booty with them which was even more fun since flying free airplanes really brings out the aerobatic maneuvers from anyone, like a rental car of sorts. If you're ever down in FL, look us up. We use the road as a runway, it's great. We all pitch in for gas to get the grass mowed from one of the regulars that has a bush hog.
Much jealosy being felt right now, that looks like an amazing place to fly, wide open and beautiful.
Before I moved my family to Idaho we live in WA about 60 miles away, there was a fairly new middle school that had no development around it, beyond the soccer fields is where an old RC airport was, it was shut down because of the school being to close, so after that we started flying off the sports fields at the middle school every Sunday when there was nobody around to bother, worked out great for a few years until they started building houses where the old RC field was, not long after that we moved to ID and I still haven't found a nice place to fly out here aside from a club

Last edited by Dealspeed; 12-30-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:12 PM
fliers1

This field is basically deserted most of the flying season
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Day Rd field.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	2194944  

Last edited by fliers1; 12-30-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:41 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Originally Posted by fliers1
This field is basically deserted most of the flying season
Where is that field located?
Old 12-30-2016, 04:39 PM
fliers1

Lockport NY
Old 12-30-2016, 06:43 PM
J330

It's 51F right now here in Palm Bay, and 28F in Lockport NY, but it's 7 mph winds here and 51 feels like 49. Both fields will be nearly empty for the weekend I'm sure. But I know 3 who are going to brave the cold and fly anyway. I haven't found my coat since 2009, so I'll stay in my truck as much as possible. A whole 5 days ahead in the forecast. it sucks, but I've been through it before, so...
70s by Wednesday is a good thing. Hate to lose two weekends to crummy weather.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:06 PM
fliers1

It's 51F right now here in Palm Bay, and 28F in Lockport NY, but it's 7 mph winds here and 51 feels like 49. Both fields will be nearly empty for the weekend I'm sure. But I know 3 who are going to brave the cold and fly anyway. I haven't found my coat since 2009, so I'll stay in my truck as much as possible. A whole 5 days ahead in the forecast. it sucks, but I've been through it before, so...
70s by Wednesday is a good thing. Hate to lose two weekends to crummy weather.
During the flying season, on occasion it was 80 degrees, 5 mph winds, the grass is cut like a putting green, yet you may see a couple of pilots on occasion.
But that's all. Hope we don't lose it.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 PM
J330

Why would you fear losing it?
Old 12-31-2016, 01:35 AM
fliers1

The field is owned and cared for by the county and it is rarely used for flying RC models, since they have to pay someone to take care of it, the tax payers would want it for another soccer field.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:14 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I thought I'd head off that argument early.
Well you gave it a good effort.

Originally Posted by franklin_m
So the shop being in existence is now service?
Any business in a community could be seen as providing a service ( if only convenience ) to a community.

Hope you have a Happy New Year.

Last edited by harcosparky; 12-31-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:21 AM
harcosparky

The field is owned and cared for by the county and it is rarely used for flying RC models, since they have to pay someone to take care of it, the tax payers would want it for another soccer field.
Are you a member of a club? If so perhaps the club could approach the county about 'adopting' the fiield agreeing to take on it's general upkeep.

This would be a win for the county as your club would be cutting the grass and they would not have to, and at the same time the club would have exclusive use of the fileld.

Your county Dept Or Recreation could even step in supporting the activity by promoting RC flying and the club along with its other activities.

Of course this would mean club members would have to step up and pitch in on the work ...... but the effort would be worth it in the long run.

I know of one club in this area that has done just that....and it seems to have worked for them.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:26 AM
harcosparky

Here is the club that is on county property near me ....... http://hcrcm.com/about.html

The club pays for all improvements, and grounds care ...... and has exclusive use of the property.

They used to lease land from a farmer ..... but the farmer wanted to open a new business and push the club out. They found the new home on county property.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:46 PM
fliers1

Originally Posted by harcosparky
Are you a member of a club? If so perhaps the club could approach the county about 'adopting' the fiield agreeing to take on it's general upkeep.

This would be a win for the county as your club would be cutting the grass and they would not have to, and at the same time the club would have exclusive use of the fileld.

Your county Dept Or Recreation could even step in supporting the activity by promoting RC flying and the club along with its other activities.

Of course this would mean club members would have to step up and pitch in on the work ...... but the effort would be worth it in the long run.

I know of one club in this area that has done just that....and it seems to have worked for them.
There then lies the problem. Yes, there is a club there, but it's active membership is down to around a half dozen and the average age is around 80.

Last edited by fliers1; 12-31-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:22 PM
harcosparky

There then lies the problem. Yes, there is a club there, but it's active membership is down to around a half dozen and the average age is around 80.
I would ask if there is a hobby shop nearby ..... often a source of new member recruits .... but given what this thread is about, I doubt there is.

Club participation in a lot of hobbies seem to be dwindling ..... amateur radio and photography as well as R/C flying.

Nobody wants to put forth the effort ..... they sit home and get all the information they need off YouTube, or so they think.

Hell even Radio Shack is TRYING to bring people who have a true interest into the hobby with their " Build-A-Drone " program.

Granted it is a 'micro' drone ....... not much to put together but the current generation seeks instant gratification and building just isn't for them.

I don't know what the answer is but that doesn't mean i am giving up.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:07 PM
fliers1

I would ask if there is a hobby shop nearby ..... often a source of new member recruits .... but given what this thread is about, I doubt there is.

Club participation in a lot of hobbies seem to be dwindling ..... amateur radio and photography as well as R/C flying.

Nobody wants to put forth the effort ..... they sit home and get all the information they need off YouTube, or so they think.

Hell even Radio Shack is TRYING to bring people who have a true interest into the hobby with their " Build-A-Drone " program.

Granted it is a 'micro' drone ....... not much to put together but the current generation seeks instant gratification and building just isn't for them.

I don't know what the answer is but that doesn't mean i am giving up.
There is a hobby shop 20 something miles from the field. Field Hobby Center, which is the only one dealing in RC aircraft. They've been in business for over 60 years, but mostly sell RC land vehicles and drones, which keeps them in business.

I've been trying to bring in new members, but it seems most clubs in the area wish to do such in their own way. One club in the Buffalo area once had over 125 members, but it's down to around 25.

Last edited by fliers1; 01-01-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:29 PM
harcosparky

I've been trying to bring in new members, but it seems most clubs in the area wish to do such in their own way. One club in the Buffalo area once had over 125 members, but it's down to around 25.
I would assume that all of the other clubs also have their own flying fields?

It's getting tough for clubs these days and that's a shame because hobbyists lost out.

I am also a licensed Amateur Radio Op and even Ham Radio Clubs are struggling. People just are not as social, as they were in generations past.

Of course past generations had to be social IN PERSON and todays generation is social electronically, which really doesn't work.

I know some clubs, in an effort to boost membership are hosting multi-rotor aircraft ( alias " drone " events such as FPV races.

My son is a member of one club, and he at least goes to all of their meetings however he is different from most his age .... he likes to do some of his own building, and there is a lot of builder experience at the clubs.

I am in the process now of emptying out one of our rooms and will be building a 16 foot long, 3 foot deep workbench just for an airplane build area for him.

That will be along one wall, along a second wall is my radio station, and on the third wall will be tool cabinets.

I'm probably more excited about it than he is ..... I love building wings from scratch plans.

Last edited by harcosparky; 12-31-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:29 PM
fliers1

I would assume that all of the other clubs also have their own flying fields?

It's getting tough for clubs these days and that's a shame because hobbyists lost out.

I am also a licensed Amateur Radio Op and even Ham Radio Clubs are struggling. People just are not as social, as they were in generations past.

Of course past generations had to be social IN PERSON and todays generation is social electronically, which really doesn't work.

I know some clubs, in an effort to boost membership are hosting multi-rotor aircraft ( alias " drone " events such as FPV races.

My son is a member of one club, and he at least goes to all of their meetings however he is different from most his age .... he likes to do some of his own building, and there is a lot of builder experience at the clubs.

I am in the process now of emptying out one of our rooms and will be building a 16 foot long, 3 foot deep workbench just for an airplane build area for him.

That will be along one wall, along a second wall is my radio station, and on the third wall will be tool cabinets.

I'm probably more excited about it than he is ..... I love building wings from scratch plans.
There are around 6 clubs in the area, most are all in the same boat, membership wise. I've visited all of these clubs and most of the time, there was little to no activity. I"m also a ham. My call sign is AB2BP. I only do CW, as it's a challenge.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:08 AM
harcosparky

There are around 6 clubs in the area, most are all in the same boat, membership wise. I've visited all of these clubs and most of the time, there was little to no activity. I"m also a ham. My call sign is AB2BP. I only do CW, as it's a challenge.
Perhaps a seed needs to be planted and see what grows.

You could be the gardener ........ what seed? Clubs can merge. ( of course if they were one club in the past and split off, like some ham clubs have done leader personalities may not allow this. )

Or maybe the clubs do not want to merge ........ but the county owned field could be an asset shared among several clubs.

I'm not sure what would work .... but just tossing out ideas to help you keep what sounds like a great resource - the flying field.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:58 AM
fliers1

Perhaps a seed needs to be planted and see what grows.

You could be the gardener ........ what seed? Clubs can merge. ( of course if they were one club in the past and split off, like some ham clubs have done leader personalities may not allow this. )

Or maybe the clubs do not want to merge ........ but the county owned field could be an asset shared among several clubs.

I'm not sure what would work .... but just tossing out ideas to help you keep what sounds like a great resource - the flying field.
AMA has been trying for decades to increase their numbers, but so far the only thing that has worked was to sign up drone operators.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:22 AM
harcosparky

AMA has been trying for decades to increase their numbers, but so far the only thing that has worked was to sign up drone operators.
Well ....... Drone operators are RC fliers, so it makes sense to recruit them as well.

RC clubs, might want to think about that.

I know one club that set aside a section of their field for use by multi-rotor, and the tiny " park fliers ". Basically aircraft that could not fly in the normal pattern.

Members would bring their kids, the kids would have an area to fly their " toys " and further develop their interest in RC flying. We even allowed RC trucks and cars in one area, the idea being those people would see all the fun of flying and maybe want to get involved.

I can envision RC Flying clubs, joining forced with RC Car/Truck clubs ...... going to a town/county and proposing a JOINT RC Park .......... Flying on one side, land use track(s) on the other. That would be an amazing facility !!!!!!

Last edited by harcosparky; 01-01-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:37 AM
fliers1

Well ....... Drone operators are RC fliers, so it makes sense to recruit them as well.

RC clubs, might want to think about that.

I know one club that set aside a section of their field for use by multi-rotor, and the tiny " park fliers ". Basically aircraft that could not fly in the normal pattern.

Members would bring their kids, the kids would have an area to fly their " toys " and further develop their interest in RC flying. We even allowed RC trucks and cars in one area, the idea being those people would see all the fun of flying and maybe want to get involved.

I can envision RC Flying clubs, joining forced with RC Car/Truck clubs ...... going to a town/county and proposing a JOINT RC Park .......... Flying on one side, land use track(s) on the other. That would be an amazing facility !!!!!!
After many years of attempting too help clubs, I get a strong feeling that growth (change) is not on top of their agenda. It seems to be maintain the status quo above all else. What is the problem that no one can seem to solve? http://www.rc-float-flying.rchomepag...instructor.htm
Old 01-01-2017, 06:58 AM
rcmiket

Can you back that up with any numbers?

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.