Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Question the better 1st beginner plane

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Question the better 1st beginner plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:49 AM
Cclark02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question the better 1st beginner plane

Happy New Year
I'm new to the group im a newbie in the hobby, I have some simulator time. I like 2. Trainer planes Fms super Ez. And the mini Apprentice, I need your personal and professional opinion on both planes. Which one is the easiest to get in the air. Newbie friendly. Thanks Cclark02
Old 01-05-2017, 08:06 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cclark02
Happy New Year
I'm new to the group im a newbie in the hobby, I have some simulator time. I like 2. Trainer planes Fms super Ez. And the mini Apprentice, I need your personal and professional opinion on both planes. Which one is the easiest to get in the air. Newbie friendly. Thanks Cclark02

I like whichever trainer your instructor has the most experience with .....

I know your not gonna want to hear this , but , even with simulator practice it's still a very good plan to become affiliated with the local club and have that club's instructor present for your first flights . Now I know there are folks who will come into the thread and say they learned alone just fine , but the odds really aren't in your favor for going from never held a TX to being able to fly well enough to not end up destroying your first (and possibly second) trainer aircraft during the extreme learning curve of going the self taught route . Sure , some folks ARE "naturals" and take to RC flying very quickly , some after even only one or two sessions with an instructor . Then there are those who have to work at it , and it may take them 5 or more lessons till they are ready to go it alone . Either way , if you really are that interested in the hobby , having at least the first flight with an instructor will insure that it's not a 21 second flight that ends in the frustration of a crashed trainer plane and the inevitable ; "This hobby sucks , I'm gonna go play Golf instead" .

PS , welcome to the hobby and to RC Universe . I hope my post don't sound too heavy handed cause it ain't meant to be , I just want to see you get enjoyment instead of frustration from your beginnings in the hobby , so that you see the best the hobby has to offer .
Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Cclark02

Thanks for your input, I've had an instructor buddy box me with an apprentice at the beginning he suggested a similator. I followed his advise and purchased real flight 7.5.
I would like to have my own plane to practice with. I had 4 successful flights with buddy box on an apprentice s 15
Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 AM
init4fun

Thanks for your input, I've had an instructor buddy box me with an apprentice at the beginning he suggested a similator. I followed his advise and purchased real flight 7.5.
I would like to have my own plane to practice with. I had 4 successful flights with buddy box on an apprentice s 15
Well they're ya go , if you already have an instructor and already have experience with the Apprentice , were the decision mine I'd of course buy the Apprentice and fly the heck outta that . I have no experience with either airplane but if your comfortable with the Apprentice that's the natural choice here .

Maybe fly an Apprentice for a while then get the FMS plane as a bit of a change of pace when you've flown the Apprentice enough for it to be "old hat" ..
Old 01-05-2017, 01:36 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Hard to beat the apprentice IMHO.

David
Old 01-05-2017, 02:33 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by daveopam

David

Naw not that hard at all david This airplane the Sensai from tower is a far superior trainer than the Apprentice and has a much better track record among the fellows locally.

I actually own both the Sensai and an Apprentice to teach folks who want to start with electrics and the Sensai is the obvious choice. We even hold special events for the Sensai's.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEXZL&P=ML

John
Old 01-05-2017, 03:37 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't doubt you for a second John. But that's not one of his choices.

David
Old 01-05-2017, 05:07 PM
init4fun

.......And the mini Apprentice .......

David
One other opinion I forgot to mention earlier ;

To a degree and especially with trainers , I believe bigger is better for both the easier visibility of the model from the ground , and also the fact that bigger models get thrown around less in small wind gusts than smaller ones do . Even for the stage your at unless you have a really cramped flying area I'd skip past the mini anything and just go ahead with the regular sized Apprentice .
Old 01-05-2017, 07:21 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't doubt you for a second John. But that's not one of his choices.

David

Yes But is not the reason most come to a forum such as this is to learn and educate themselves about choices an decisions? And without the filter of media advertising or politically correct decisions. I only offered an opinion on a mainstream product that is ideal for the original poster and what I believe to be a superior product

Dave try a Sensai sometime you might even enjoy it.

John
Old 01-06-2017, 04:25 AM
Cclark02

Thanks for the input guys, do both planes come with the safe technologies and the as3x stability? Is there any video out there with a beginner flying these planes always see experienced flyers demonstrating the technology