Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby People going out of Business

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby People going out of Business

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:40 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I was thinking of getting thin servos from them, but held off due to one of their servos failing in my Something Extra, now glad I did. This was before the GOOB flyer.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:20 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed on their website they only list five stores as being open as opposed to eight stores a couple of weeks ago, I think they are selling off their stock and as stores close that stock is being relocated to the stores still
open. Eventually it will probably be only their headquarters store to close last.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:17 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your order, Ken. I got my stuff quickly and accurately without any issues.l
Old 01-25-2017, 04:52 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

In 1972, I bought my first R/C kit, a Top Flite 27" wingspan all balsa Schoolboy from HP (then Hobby Shack, don't know why they changed their name later). Then in 1973, I ordered an OS Pet .06 engine for my Goldberg 37" wingspan Junior Falcon, wanted more power than an .049 engine. They sent me a nice apologetic note and substituted an OS Max .10R/C at no additional cost. The OS is a real jewel of an engine, only weighed 3 oz., sounded muffled up to half throttle, full throttle was no louder than a Cox .049. (Unmuffled, had an exhaust baffle plate linked to throttle to increase back pressure for reliable idle.)

In the mid 1980's, they were clearing out the Fuji engine line, I think that is when they brought in the Taiwanese Magnum. I bought 2 Fuji 099S-II R/C engines from them for $10 each. (That engine was basically a clone of the Enya .09-IV, version I have is oddly ABC cross scavenged. Dissassembled and flushed both crankcases, they were full of aluminum shavings, guess Fuji was having production problems.) I also bought a Magnum .15FP from them.

I bought other kits and engines from them back then. Still have unbuilt 46" wingspan The Real Thing parasol and 48" wingspan all foam .25 ARF Cessna 177 kits I bought from them. This past summer, I stopped by their Lakewood, CA store and bought some balsa and R/C hardware.

Sorry to hear them go, but I stopped Internet ordering from them when they changed their name, seems their prices and selections weren't as competitive as say, Tower Hobbies. Back in the 1970's and 1980's, they were neck and neck with Tower, Hobby Lobby (now Hobby Express), America's Hobby Center, Indy and etc.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:42 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bigedmustafa
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your order, Ken. I got my stuff quickly and accurately without any issues.l
Well, the saga continues. Since there are several Airtronics receivers that I would like to have while they are on sale I decided to go back in and try again. This time I didn't make as big of an order, but I made an order of much the same items that I did the first time through and this time Hobby People did charge my card and it looks like the order may actually go through. The sad part is that some of the items that I wanted from my first order have already gone out of stock now and I was unable to get them on the second try.

Ken
Old 01-25-2017, 10:11 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been shopping Hobby, Hobby People since they opened the first store in San Diego ca. I do not want to know how much I spent there over the years.

I had an order in the day before they sent out the email. I got that one. Then I went in and tried to order some of those thin HV, MG digital servos. I wanted 4 but they said they did not have that many, so I tried for two, that went through then 3 days later I got an email saying they could not fill it and cancelled the order.

I went in and ordered (4) more of the other digital servos, I got those, I saw the thin wing servos showed back in stock, ordered 4 of them, 3 days later they were cancelled again.

So, who really makes the HP servos? They look like KST's but the specs do not match?

Buzz.