Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Cutting foam cores with a car battery

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Cutting foam cores with a car battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 AM
TampaRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting foam cores with a car battery

I watched a youtube vid on cutting foam cores with the cutting wire attached to a 12v car battery, and nothing more. The vid did not go into any detail of the set up. Anyone know what gauge of wire and width of wire would be correct to make this work?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:57 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried that once, did not like it as I had no easy way to adjust the temp of the wire. I used the door bell transformer and dimmer switch with good results. Easy enough to do and cheap. I have thought about using an old ESC, servo driver and lipo battery to power the foam cutter.

I got a good deal on a rheostat. Way more power than I really need. But for $12.00 was hard to not pass up.

My standard setup is some old control line cable 0.045 I think. My bow is 42 inches wide, plus I have a jig saw band saw cutter too with 18 inches of the same wire. The door bell works very well with the 18 inches, a little under powered on the bow.

Buzz.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:58 PM
smoketrailcharlie

I used a Automobile battery charger set on 6 volts a wire from an old hair dryer and a peg board table. works great. Experiment.That's what its all about. .Good luck S.T.C.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:55 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure that you have plenty of air flow as the smoke can be hazardous to your health when cutting the foam. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-06-2017, 08:00 AM
smoketrailcharlie

Don't need no stinken mask or Cough, Cough, Air flow. Cough, cough,. Thanks Dave