Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Need a good, tough RC car for a five year old

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need a good, tough RC car for a five year old

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:26 PM
RC_for_my_son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a good, tough RC car for a five year old

Crossposting this here and in the RC car general. Not sure which forum is the right one.

I have a favor to ask. My son is special needs and is about to turn five. He seems particularly drawn to red cars, especially sports cars, but he is also pretty hard on them. He likes lights, buttons, honking car horns, turning on wipers, etc. I want to get him a massive cockpit he can sit in full of these but can't find one. My second choice is a good, solid, fun RC car that can take a bit of abuse.

I went to toys r us and it all looked like cheap garbage. I figured there would be a forum full of RC enthusiasts who could point me in the right direction, and I hope this is the right place. I'm aware at the high end there are people who spend a fortune, and I imagine some of these cars are fragile or have detail that you have to be careful with. I just want something that looks like a red Ferrari or Corvette, can take some spills down hardwood stairs and keep going. Alternatively a vehicle that works even if it flips upside down/won't get stuck would be good because he will probably be a reckless driver. Just has to be tough, fun, and hopefully look like a sports car.

I was thinking this would cost less than a hundred dollars but will spend more if needed. Any help appreciated.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:31 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
The features you are asking for and how you want the vehicle to perform is a tall list for a hobby-grade vehicle especially at that price point.
A lot of the features you are wanting are typically on toy-grade vehicles that cost under $200.00 and won't take much abuse and once broken can't be easily repaired.

With a hobby-grade vehicle ,most are well designed and can take some punishment and can be repaired and upgraded provided you buy from a reputable manufacturer and from a reputable shop or distributor.
Will they do everything you are asking for ? No.
But you can add things like lights and other options to a vehicle.
Will you be able to buy one for $100.00? Probably not, especially if it has to have a red sports car body.
I would recommend going to a local hobby shop and if there are none around then go to Horizon Hobby or Tower Hobbies as both are very reputable and support their product. Avoid buying from chinese websites.........things on those sites are low priced but they are low priced for a reason.

As far as a vehicle with a red sports car body, this one fits but you are limited to driving it on very smooth surfaces and typically not inside of a house.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/cars-an...100-s-vtr03022

Here are some other vehicles to look at too:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/categor...ars-and-trucks

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...o-Run-Electric

For your son I would recommend a 1/12 or 1/18 vehicle as they are a bit smaller and lower powered. Some of these vehicles are rather fast and would be too much.
Traxxas vehicles have an option to turn down the power for younger or inexperienced drivers as well.

Good luck !

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 04-07-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 AM
RC_for_my_son

Thank you for the links and advice, I will check them out. Are there any that can go on sand/get wet like at a beach? I assume these would look more like monster trucks.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:48 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes but you would be looking at a Short Course Truck or a Monster Truck and changing the tires to paddle tires to easily go through sand or snow.
Most of the hobby-grade vehicles can splash through standing water and be OK (water resistant). Other owners go to extra measures to make the electronics really waterproof .
Old 08-26-2021, 07:24 AM
Jeremy24986

Default Update new traxxas corvette 4tec very durable

Originally Posted by RC_for_my_son
Crossposting this here and in the RC car general. Not sure which forum is the right one.

I have a favor to ask. My son is special needs and is about to turn five. He seems particularly drawn to red cars, especially sports cars, but he is also pretty hard on them. He likes lights, buttons, honking car horns, turning on wipers, etc. I want to get him a massive cockpit he can sit in full of these but can't find one. My second choice is a good, solid, fun RC car that can take a bit of abuse.

I went to toys r us and it all looked like cheap garbage. I figured there would be a forum full of RC enthusiasts who could point me in the right direction, and I hope this is the right place. I'm aware at the high end there are people who spend a fortune, and I imagine some of these cars are fragile or have detail that you have to be careful with. I just want something that looks like a red Ferrari or Corvette, can take some spills down hardwood stairs and keep going. Alternatively a vehicle that works even if it flips upside down/won't get stuck would be good because he will probably be a reckless driver. Just has to be tough, fun, and hopefully look like a sports car.

I was thinking this would cost less than a hundred dollars but will spend more if needed. Any help appreciated.
Going to be quite a bit more your looking at $300-$1,000 but traxxas makes a 4tec chassis corvette would be perfect for your needs
Old 08-30-2021, 01:51 AM
krispy378

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Get him a traxxas stampede imho... Tough, fast enough reasonably priced. Support is outstanding. For a 5 year old, i would limit the power. It has a learning mode where the max power is only 50%. Just doesent look like a sports car...Its a monster truck.