Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Field Weather Station with cell transmission

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Field Weather Station with cell transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field Weather Station with cell transmission

Our club field is a significant drive for many of our members and the weather is usually quite different there than at home. I am looking for a weather station that would measure wind speed, direction and temperature, and transmit the data via a cellular connection.From there we would put the data on our website…but first things first…the weather station with cellular transmission…anyone had any experience with a system like that?I’ve done some research and the only ones I’ve seen are WiFi and the distance is too far for that to work.Appreciate any help.
Murphey
Old 05-26-2017, 12:00 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Why reinvent the wheel ?

I have a website bookmarked that gives the "aviation weather forecast" for the area my club field is located and I believe the report I get is far more accurate than any consumer grade "weather station" could give . I'll try to enclose a link to the site I use ;
The Norwood, Massachusetts Aviation Weather Report and Forecast - Wind Speed, Temperature, Wind Direction, Precipitation Forecast

I hope that link works
Old 05-26-2017, 12:05 PM
init4fun

Ok , so my link works (I just checked) . Now all ya gotta do is find the same report for your area in Colorado and there ya go , all the weather you'll ever need without the expense of setting it up yourself .

Happy Flying ...
Old 05-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Murphey

Thanks for the link...I set it up for CO. The closest weather station is about 10 miles from our field and we've used other online weather sites and found that the weather is quite different at the field. Having said that, this one looks very good and I'll monitor it for a while before reinventing the wheel! Thanks again!
M
Old 05-26-2017, 12:48 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

We have a weather station at our field and its quite convenient but it leverages the DSL line, its not cellular
Radio Control Club of Jacksonville : Home local weather link
Old 05-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Murphey

Thanks Andy. I'm pretty sure we can find the weather station OK...it's the connectivity that's the problem. no WiFi, DSL or even dial-up...our field is out in the boonies...don't even have AC power. I think there are only a few cell carriers that have coverage at our field...I know I cdon't have cell coverage from my carrier but actually, I like it that way...
M
Old 05-27-2017, 06:00 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Murphey
Thanks for the link...I set it up for CO. The closest weather station is about 10 miles from our field and we've used other online weather sites and found that the weather is quite different at the field. Having said that, this one looks very good and I'll monitor it for a while before reinventing the wheel! Thanks again!
M
Your Welcome . I have found it to be the most accurate weather site that I've found so far and that's why I like to share the link when I can . I do understand of course the wanting to have an exact location report , heck if i could I'd love a weather station at the field that incorporated a live feed video of the field as well , but till that comes along I'm ok with this site's report . The windspeed part of the report is the best , if it says for instance the wind will be 15 MPH by 9:00 AM , you can count on it , and best bring a windy day flyer if ya just gotta fly that day .
Old 05-31-2017, 01:46 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have cell coverage you will need a cellular modem or a WiFi hotspot.

HAM guys do it to with APRS, I think that is how our works
Old 06-03-2017, 10:32 PM
TinyTrains

Yes, APRS can do it with an solar/battery powered ham radio and a weather station. You need a licensed HAM who understands APRS.
Here is the page for our San Fernando Valley Valley Flyers Club:

WA6MHA-11
Old 06-08-2017, 07:56 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Go to
www.windy.com gives you all information and forecast... including prevailing winds!!!
Old 06-08-2017, 11:43 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Love that site!
Old 06-10-2017, 06:38 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An electronic guru in our club made one up for us. The airspeed, wind direction device is on the clubhouse roof. Runs on a solar panel and a wetcell storage batt. Shows up on our club website at home.
Will see if I can get him to post details.
VA3DLF
Old 06-10-2017, 03:59 PM
crawler tech

Wink

Originally Posted by Flypaper 2
An electronic guru in our club made one up for us. The airspeed, wind direction device is on the clubhouse roof. Runs on a solar panel and a wetcell storage batt. Shows up on our club website at home.
Will see if I can get him to post details.
VA3DLF
I would really like to know more about that. That is freakin sweet !
Old 06-11-2017, 07:39 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I like www.windytv.com . It's actually an aviation related site. I've found it spot on in my area. You can also pin-point weather anywhere. Different filters have conditions and reports for para-sailing, wind surfing, as well as general aviation. Wind direction and speed is a big plus too... not to mention temp and barometric pressure. Hourly predictions.. etc etc.