Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New radio on the block?

Old 06-02-2017, 03:38 PM
crawler tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I am not talking about FrSky hardware, I would assume FrSky tests the hardware (just like all branded manufacturers do, I assume they even make a profit!).

I am talking about Open Source transmitter software (not hardware). Who tests the software? Any answer will satisfy me, I just am not getting an answer.

Ohhhhh boy...

Last edited by crawler tech; 06-04-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:22 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I am not talking about FrSky hardware, I would assume FrSky tests the hardware (just like all branded manufacturers do, I assume they even make a profit!).

I am talking about Open Source transmitter software (not hardware). Who tests the software? Any answer will satisfy me, I just am not getting an answer.

You don't seem to get it! and I believe you are deliberately playing the role of troll, so from this point on you will be ingored! If you really wanted a answer you would seek it out from those that put it in the puplic domain. you seek a modicum of imaginary power by being a pain in the a-- ! go away!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:50 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I can shed some light on who tests the firmware or the openTX programming. OpenTX programming is like taking 1000 computer programmers (RC enthusiasts) and placing them in a room (the flying field) with a Taranis radio and one instruction. Play with this and make it better.

One programmer gets an idea, writes the program, then tests it. If it works, all the rest of the programmers try it. If they like it, they upload the program onto the internet so others can try it.

The really nice thing about a Taranis system is that you can back up your firmware. If you don't like the new firmware, you can reinstall your old firmware with no problems. You can even do it at the field, you don't need a computer.

I have installed the new M9 gimbals and love the way they feel. I have also replaced the speaker with a larger one. Sounds really nice. I also have the 6 position switch installed. You can't do any of that with a Futaba or Spectrum.

For a $250 system it is really nice. And I'm glad a got one.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:04 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by countilaw
Maybe I can shed some light on who tests the firmware or the openTX programming. OpenTX programming is like taking 1000 computer programmers (RC enthusiasts) and placing them in a room (the flying field) with a Taranis radio and one instruction. Play with this and make it better.

One programmer gets an idea, writes the program, then tests it. If it works, all the rest of the programmers try it. If they like it, they upload the program onto the internet so others can try it.

The really nice thing about a Taranis system is that you can back up your firmware. If you don't like the new firmware, you can reinstall your old firmware with no problems. You can even do it at the field, you don't need a computer.

I have installed the new M9 gimbals and love the way they feel. I have also replaced the speaker with a larger one. Sounds really nice. I also have the 6 position switch installed. You can't do any of that with a Futaba or Spectrum.

For a $250 system it is really nice. And I'm glad a got one.
Thank you! you said what I am more than confident a certain person already knew. but wanted a power rush. this information is obvious to those that are not full of themselves and wish to impose their imagined superiority over others.

I purchased the horus because I recognized what I felt was a good thing at a price I was willing to pay. Thus far I have no regrets and yes I am learning stuff I never thought I would ........................Lovin it!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:39 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a thousand cooks in the kitchen make a better meal? I do not think the question of testing is that unreasonable. After a mod is completed, I doubt that a complete testing cycle is completed. As we all know, changing one part of the code can affect other sections of the code. I am sure everyone is doing their very best during code creation, testing and distribution, but things can happen. So, yes I do think it is a reasonable question.

I am not trolling. I am a programmer, and yes I am interested in these radios.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:20 AM
crawler tech

Originally Posted by on_your_six
Do a thousand cooks in the kitchen make a better meal? I do not think the question of testing is that unreasonable. After a mod is completed, I doubt that a complete testing cycle is completed. As we all know, changing one part of the code can affect other sections of the code. I am sure everyone is doing their very best during code creation, testing and distribution, but things can happen. So, yes I do think it is a reasonable question.

I am not trolling. I am a programmer, and yes I am interested in these radios.
I don't think (or at least I haven't seen it) people are using these radio's on $10,000 planes. These are primarily used on under 30cc planes. In fact I think they just did a firmware update to address vibration issues in gas engined planes. I know the hardware isn't the best obtainable but that's not why I bought into this brand. I bought into it because of the VALUE Frsky offers. Where else can you get these features for under $1000? So until I'm flying a 100" ME109, I'll be sporting a Taranis...
Old 06-06-2017, 05:49 AM
donnyman

In addition to what crawler tech said let me add,...... No question is a bad question when presented in a manner that isn't provocative.

Answers was given in good faith and was repilied to with attitude, (or so it seemed) .......... That isn't productive.

My intentions when starting this thread was to have a open venue for users of this radio gear. I am sure most of us know of the chance we take with the open programming and will discuss it to the best of our ability, but will not let someone take a superior attitude, real or imagined. If you read the first post I asked that users of this system to comment, and opinions be witheld if you do not operate one of these systems, specifically opinions of non users that is non productive.

This thread could be of invaluable use to many in this hobby if it is used in a manner that educates. NOT denigrate.

With that in mind let's talk of our experiences with this fine gear, and leave the ego's outside.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:04 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that this large group of programmers takes every release and does extensive testing on the existing and new features. Most of this group never contribute anything. A small group of dedicated individuals do the work, and the group changes over time as people come and go. Yes, there are a lot of people grabbing releases. Some report problems, others just ignore and find work arounds. Software is not always best created by large groups.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:19 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by on_your_six
Don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that this large group of programmers takes every release and does extensive testing on the existing and new features. Most of this group never contribute anything. A small group of dedicated individuals do the work, and the group changes over time as people come and go. Yes, there are a lot of people grabbing releases. Some report problems, others just ignore and find work arounds. Software is not always best created by large groups.
What you say is true! and I am wary of just that. But (here it comes) the amount of input by so many over a period of time should produce a viable solution in a controlled enviromemnt. this seems to be what has transpired,
I say this based upon the great success exhibited thus far. Time will show if what I am saying is true.

Now if someone has knowledge that can remove or reveal discrepancies they should step forth and do so in a productive and helpful manner while cautioning those of us that lack the knowledge. in time we can have a strong and versatile situation. we currently have the option of two op systems and no, it is not for all.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:35 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by crawler tech
I don't think (or at least I haven't seen it) people are using these radio's on $10,000 planes. These are primarily used on under 30cc planes. In fact I think they just did a firmware update to address vibration issues in gas engined planes. I know the hardware isn't the best obtainable but that's not why I bought into this brand. I bought into it because of the VALUE Frsky offers. Where else can you get these features for under $1000? So until I'm flying a 100" ME109, I'll be sporting a Taranis...
I bought mine after watching some very expensive hardware punch holes in the sky and intend to use it in the red trainer then the f-14.

The trainer (Eagle ll) is to teach me to use the equipt. safely, I can afford to lose it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	f14 top left  wing out_edited.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2218988   Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2218991  
Old 06-17-2017, 01:30 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are familiar with open source software than you are familiar with Open Tx. This sort of software is not new, and is continually under development and revised frequently. You could say it is "Crowd Tested" by the hundreds of people using it every day and reporting any problems they discover which are then solved with the next revision. You can choose to install older versions of the software that have been proven over time by thousands of users, or you can install the latest version which may or may not be as bug free as the older version.

Microsoft and Apple both use the same system as do thousands of software manufacturers. They test new software as best they can, distibute a few copies to some beta testers for further testing and then release a version they believe to be stable.

I think the Open Tx software is ultimately subjected to much more intensive testing by it's enthusiastic users than anything produced by the mainstream radio companies.

FrSky is not a new company and neither is the Taranis. Open Tx is not new either. All have been around for years. I have been flying my Taranis for probably 2-1/2 years and it been out for sometime before I bought it. I have updated the software once and am several versions behind but see no need to upgrade as the radio has been absolutely flawless for me.

One of the things I really like is the price of parts and accessories. I recently broke my transmitter antenna, bought the part for about $4.00 and replaced it myself. As a matter of fact I hought 2 antennas because they were so cheap, now I have a spare. Virtually any part is readily available, cheap to buy, and can be installed by the user. No need to send your radio in to the manufacturer or distributor and pay for repairs. Do it yourself.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 AM
donnyman

049flyer

What you said is exactly the reasoning behind my purchase of the Horis. I spent several years with a large company and we tested our equipt. extensively, only to find when relaesed to the public (beta test) we found things that amazed us and required addressing. this is what is and has been going on for some time with these radios, and I am quite impressed by the results I only hope to see it continue.

With all I said I must admit That I am overwhelmed with this technology and am on what appears to be a long learning curve because the information available as to it's use confuses me. the terms are foreign to me and few or no reasons as to why things need doing is explained.

I am trying to flash my receiver with the non eu? software and have constructed the wire harness to interface with the trans. but he downloading to the sd card is only the beginning of my confusion. I don't want to change what I have I just want to use it as is until I am more comfortable with it's use. Yeah I need help! A users manual for idiots is needed.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 AM
crawler tech

Originally Posted by donnyman
049flyer

What you said is exactly the reasoning behind my purchase of the Horis. I spent several years with a large company and we tested our equipt. extensively, only to find when relaesed to the public (beta test) we found things that amazed us and required addressing. this is what is and has been going on for some time with these radios, and I am quite impressed by the results I only hope to see it continue.

With all I said I must admit That I am overwhelmed with this technology and am on what appears to be a long learning curve because the information available as to it's use confuses me. the terms are foreign to me and few or no reasons as to why things need doing is explained.

I am trying to flash my receiver with the non eu? software and have constructed the wire harness to interface with the trans. but he downloading to the sd card is only the beginning of my confusion. I don't want to change what I have I just want to use it as is until I am more comfortable with it's use. Yeah I need help! A users manual for idiots is needed.
It makes it much easier if you remove the sd card and put it in your pc (buy an adaptor if you need it). Download the file and drag/drop it to the sd card firmware folder. Reinstall the sd card and using the fabricated wire harness, flash the receiver with the "external device" prompt.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:30 PM
049flyer

Donny-

I have never flashed my receiver, why are you doing this. The radio should be pretty much ready to use out of the box with minimal settings needed to get basic functionality.

There are plenty of youtube videos and tons of threads on this site and others. A bit of google searching will net you a badic owners manual of sorts concerning the software. I'll try to post a link or two this evening.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:06 PM
049flyer

Open Tx manual is here:
http://www.open-tx.org/documents

Open Tx University here:
http://open-txu.org/

Scott Page on youtube for FrSky tutorials are here:
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=taranis%20scott%20page&sm=3

These links shoud get you going. Plus there is a wealth of information and help on RC Universe as well as the other RC website.

Last edited by 049flyer; 06-18-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:22 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Donny-

I have never flashed my receiver, why are you doing this. The radio should be pretty much ready to use out of the box with minimal settings needed to get basic functionality.
I wondered about this myself.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 AM
crawler tech

Originally Posted by karolh
I wondered about this myself.
I can't speak for others but the reason I flashed the receivers I have (S6R & S8R) is because they had a fix to a problem they were having with gas planes (high vibration). All the updates tell you what changes were made. If it sounds like something that would affect you, update it. If not fly it.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:00 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Donny-

There are plenty of youtube videos and tons of threads on this site and others. A bit of google searching will net you a badic owners manual of sorts concerning the software. I'll try to post a link or two this evening.
Thanks for the info! I tried to bind my rec. but still get the two leds glowing so I assumed the trans and rec were not configured similar. I just don't have a clue. I'll try again.
IT seemed easier to write direct to the sd card but I must not be doing something right, but I think I will get it soon still don't fully understand all I need to.

Most of the info is related to the taranis, does the horus use the same techniques as the taranis? can the taranis info be used the for the Horus?

Last edited by donnyman; 06-19-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 PM
donnyman

Ok now I am confused, my receiver is now bound, how that happened I cannot say but I will accept the results.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:58 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

I'm a FrSky user for 3 yrs, and have had excellent results. ALL of my planes are 30-40% aerobatic and are gas powered. My Taranis will do everything I ask of it, and anything I could possibly think of! If paying 3-4X for a radio or rx makes you feel better, go for it. If anyone is thinking of purchasing a FrSky radio, I highly recommend reading the thread on the Taranis over at rcgroups. There's a ton of good information there. ;-)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by zx32tt
I'm a FrSky user for 3 yrs, and have had excellent results. ALL of my planes are 30-40% aerobatic and are gas powered. My Taranis will do everything I ask of it, and anything I could possibly think of! If paying 3-4X for a radio or rx makes you feel better, go for it. If anyone is thinking of purchasing a FrSky radio, I highly recommend reading the thread on the Taranis over at rcgroups. There's a ton of good information there. ;-)
It's was responses like this that got me interested with the frsky stuff in the first place, (the price didn't hurt either) mine is in a plane though not flown yet, and it seems to be quicker in control response even with the old servos. honey do's is cramping my fliyng.