Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New radio on the block?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 11:03 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Question New radio on the block?

Been fascinated by the frsky radios, especially the HORUS transmitter. I read all I could find and spoke with a few users and have yet to come across a reason to believe these frsky folk have not revolutionize the r/c hobby.

As far as prices go they seem to have kicked some serious a--, and I am now invested, 16 t0 32 channels totally open programming and not a bad word from anyone except for some nitpickers. the hands on boys will have a ball with this stuff it's a tinkerer's delight, un limited programming has my head all twisted. the beta testing cleared up several user complaints.

If you have this equiptment I would like to hear what you have to say, If you don't own this equipt. or have not used it, PLEASE keep your OPINIONS to yourself I only want the FACTS!
Old 05-29-2017, 03:37 PM
crawler tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Taranis and so far it's awesome. I'm not sure if you know or not but the Horus doesn't use OpenTX like the Taranis. It can be reflashed to use it but I don't think it comes stock like that. OpenTX is what makes this brand so great. The real value of this brand is the affordability of not only the TX but the RX and sensors as well. I just laugh to myself at these guys that spend one or two thousand dollars for a transmitter. It does take a little learning but there is tons of help available on forums and youtube. Check Aloft Hobbies for the US dealer. Sometimes they can't keep stuff in stock but otherwise, they're great. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:34 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a Taranis after my JR needed to be replaced. I love it and have completed many mods including the M9 gimbals.

I keep discovering new things that can be done with this radio.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:44 AM
donnyman

I just saw a ad for a 16 channel futaba (my usual brand) with a whole lotta bells and whistles but how come there is no price shown?? High price does not make it better.

To be honest I am intimidated by the need for all the downloading and such but I am commited. the opentx OS is not on my system and will stay that way until my undestanding improves I will try to flash my receiver so it can work with my horus.

I got my set from Aloft and they have been very helpful and prompt. if they can keep it up, we have a winner!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Donny, several of my friends have the Taranis and Horus radios and though getting accustomed to the Open Tx programming was at first a little daunting they love them.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:42 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So how do you guys decide to fly a new software release? Who (guinea pig) tests it and for how long?
Old 05-31-2017, 02:56 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by mr_matt
So how do you guys decide to fly a new software release? Who (guinea pig) tests it and for how long?
the testing has been done and many are long time in the air. a independent op sys was even written, the taranis and horus are the results. both very impressive.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:58 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by karolh
Donny, several of my friends have the Taranis and Horus radios and though getting accustomed to the Open Tx programming was at first a little daunting they love them.
That's what I have found also, and have become one of them.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:16 PM
crawler tech

My favorite reply to people who poo poo Taranis as being too difficult to learn is "yeah, it's not for everybody".
Old 05-31-2017, 05:27 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Taranis is the Linux of the Radios then? not for every one.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:34 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I just saw a ad for a 16 channel futaba (my usual brand) with a whole lotta bells and whistles but how come there is no price shown?? High price does not make it better.

To be honest I am intimidated by the need for all the downloading and such but I am commited. the opentx OS is not on my system and will stay that way until my undestanding improves I will try to flash my receiver so it can work with my horus.

I got my set from Aloft and they have been very helpful and prompt. if they can keep it up, we have a winner!
The new Futaba 16 ch is listed as 699.99 at Tower Hobbies
Old 05-31-2017, 06:17 PM
mr_matt

the testing has been done and many are long time in the air. a independent op sys was even written, the taranis and horus are the results. both very impressive.
tested by who? Before_you_fly a new software release, who has tested it?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:52 AM
donnyman

tested by who? Before_you_fly a new software release, who has tested it?
I have been into r/c since the 1950's and not one time did I or anyone else that I know ask "who" tested it! do you know who tested the radios you use?

My decision wasn't based on who tested anything it was based on the Fact, all who had it loved it. If you need more Proof just wait time will tell. there is a ton of information how this system has grown maybe you should avail youself to it. as I did. Quite frankly I haven't met anyone that cares, so if you need more info your on your own.

IRA D

The 16 channel futaba's price is $699.99 as compared to $499.99 for the FRSKY Horus which is reason enough for me to consider it.

Last edited by donnyman; 06-06-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:56 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
So Taranis is the Linux of the Radios then? not for every one.
Just for the record I am using LINUX to post this. "Works for me"
Old 06-01-2017, 12:37 PM
mr_matt

I have been into r/c since the 1950's and not one time did I or anyone else that I know ask "who" tested it! do you know who tested the radios you use?

My decision wasn't based on who tested anything it was based on the Fact, all who had it loved it. If you need more Proof just wait time will tell. there is a ton of information how this system has grown maybe you should avail youself to it. as I did. Quite frankly I haven't met anyone that cares so if you need more info your on your own.

IRA D

The 16 channel futaba's price is $699.99 as compared to $499.99 for the FRSKY Horus which is reason enough for me to consider it.
My radio and its software was tested by Futaba. This is typical of most branded products, you are relying on the brand and its validation and release policies, good or bad.

Who does the equivalent validation in the open source transmitter world?

Or maybe when a new software release comes out, you take the ostrich route?
Old 06-01-2017, 05:26 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a friend that has a Frisky Taranis and he really likes it in fact I know two people that have the Taranis. The biggest complaint I hear about the Taranis is the steep learning curve to program it and I have considered it but I don’t know yet.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:24 AM
crawler tech

My radio and its software was tested by Futaba. This is typical of most branded products, you are relying on the brand and its validation and release policies, good or bad.

It's been my experience in life that blind faith will get you killed. Trusting one manufacture over another based solely on reputation is not a good practice in my opinion. There are good and bad within each brand. Open source development, as I understand it, is driven by performance rather than profit. I will trust that over corporate influence every time. But thankfully we live in a country of free choice, you choose yours and I'll choose mine.

Last edited by crawler tech; 06-02-2017 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:52 AM
karolh

Originally Posted by crawler tech
It's been my experience in life that blind faith will get you killed. Trusting one manufacture over another based solely on reputation is not a good practice in my opinion. There are good and bad within each brand. Open source development, as I understand it, is driven by performance rather than profit. I will trust that over corporate influence every time. But thankfully we live in a country of free choice, you choose yours and I'll choose mine.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:41 AM
donnyman

What if I do? it's my money and choice!
Old 06-02-2017, 08:34 AM
karolh

I switched from using a Futaba 72 system to one upgraded to 2.4 by installing a FrSky 2.4 modular unit, after being totally convinced of it's ability to perform as good as or better than any of the current top brands. Of course this was not an "ostrich route" but rather a decision reached at by all the glowing reports from several of the system's testers and other hands on users of this new brand's ability to deliver exceptional performance. So far my decision has proved to be spot on as after several years of use it's performance has been rock solid.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:16 AM
donnyman

I switched from using a Futaba 72 system to one upgraded to 2.4 by installing a FrSky 2.4 modular unit, after being totally convinced of it's ability to perform as good as or better than any of the current top brands. Of course this was not an "ostrich route" but rather a decision reached at by all the glowing reports from several of the system's testers and other hands on users of this new brand's ability to deliver exceptional performance. So far my decision has proved to be spot on as after several years of use it's performance has been rock solid.
I was going to dump my 9c until I noticed several guys with the Frsky modular conversion unit, now I have more options than I can use. and I don't know OR CARE, who tested it. It works!
Old 06-02-2017, 01:52 PM
mr_matt

Of course this was not an "ostrich route" but rather a decision reached at by all the glowing reports from several of the system's testers ......

OK now we are getting somewhere.....who are these testers? Do they put their planes at risk first?
Old 06-02-2017, 01:52 PM
mr_matt

What if I do? it's my money and choice!

So the answer is YOU are the tester....just as I suspected.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:31 PM
karolh

OK now we are getting somewhere.....who are these testers? Do they put their planes at risk first?
You seem to be quite inflexible to change and quite frankly I really don't think that anyone will be able to give you an answer that really satisfies you on this as you do seem to have a proverbial bee stuck in your bonnet regarding this new brand. But just to acquaint you with the fact that FrSky Electronics, the company that manufacturers these radios and associated electronic equipment have done and continue to do exhaustive in house testing of their products along with other contributing industry stalwarts for more than a decade.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:47 PM
mr_matt

You seem to be quite inflexible to change and quite frankly I really don't think that anyone will be able to give you an answer that really satisfies you on this as you do seem to have a proverbial bee stuck in your bonnet regarding this new brand. But just to acquaint you with the fact that FrSky Electronics, the company that manufacturers these radios and associated electronic equipment have done and continue to do exhaustive in house testing of their products along with other contributing industry stalwarts for more than a decade.

I am not talking about FrSky hardware, I would assume FrSky tests the hardware (just like all branded manufacturers do, I assume they even make a profit!).

I am talking about Open Source transmitter software (not hardware). Who tests the software? Any answer will satisfy me, I just am not getting an answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.