Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ay up from the UK!

Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 AM
Redpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ay up from the UK!

I'm a complete n00b with regards to RC flying, so have dipped my toe in the water and purchased an Ares Recon drone and Hobbyzone Duet plane. I've been obsessed with flight from an early age, but the closest I got to RC before now was a control line plane which never flew. And an afternoon of free flight in Sutton Park with my grandad.

I've read up a lot in preparation, downloaded a simulator, and joined up here to get good advice.

Looking forward to taking part!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:10 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

It's a shame you didn't come here before you spent money. There is a forum for newbies that gives great advice. One in particular is buying toys like you did more often than not cause you to give up on RC.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Redpilot

I have my eye on more serious aircraft as a next step.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eye on a more serious plane...... P-51, Corsair, P-38 ? And he hasn't even learned to fly yet...

Already off on the wrong foot and won't even admit it.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Redpilot

E-flite Apprentice S, as it happens

Are you lot always this welcoming?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 PM
countilaw

Most of the time. Like most noobies, you got the Hobbyzone Duet, which is just a foamie toy airplane. And you are going to get another foamie toy airplane. You can't learn to fly with the Apprentice because it flies all by it's self. Get a good trainer like the Great Planes Avistar. It's made of wood, not foam. It will last you a long time and you will enjoy flying it. Get someone who has experience and let them teach you how to fly with a buddy box.

But you will just say that you can learn by your self and after you have a room full of broken foamie toy airplanes you will give up and go find something else to do, wasting everyone's time here.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:44 PM
Mark Powell

Originally Posted by Redpilot
E-flite Apprentice S, as it happens

Are you lot always this welcoming?
I'm new too and also in the UK. Take no notice of them - it's your money, spend it how you want . But I do have 50 plus years experience of toy planes. So:

Getting the simulator is GOOD. But they are not a complete answer, often being harder to fly than the real thing and lacking the 'incentive ' to avoid real crashes, which happen remarkably quickly, usually within microseconds of leaving the ground. But at least you wont be totally clueless.

Join a club and get some help - unless you fly over a private field covered in VERY long 'impact absorbing' grass (which is how I learnt many years ago) you will need it.

I'm not familiar with the 'Apprentice' but from the name I assume it is a stable high wing plane. BUT AN EARLIER POSTER SAYS IT FLIES ALL BY ITSELF. That's useless. But DO buy a 'foamy', not a balsa plane. Foamies are much more crash resistant and unless you like making models of Nelson's Victory out of matches you won't enjoy repairing a balsa plane. So unless you have good help, and use a 'buddy' transmitter, avoid the Avistar and similar.
I strongly suggest the Multiplex foamies, particularly the small Piper Cub. But unfortunately they are expensive as they are well designed (unlike most) and are not made out of recycled washing machine packaging like all the others. The foam Multiplex use is a different material and much stronger. But ANY foamy will take far more punishment than a wood plane and they are easy to repair, even though they will look somewhat battered afterwards.

'Drones' and/or 'Multicopters', being automated are USELESS for learning to fly. They don't really belong in the 'model' world. They and their operators should all be in photographic/video magazines, as they are basically camera platforms. That way you can bore all your friends with blurred and shakey videos of the local supermarket car park. Multicopter videos are even more boring than someone else's holiday photos and unlike photos you can't 'flip' though them while pretending to be interested.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark Powell; 10-03-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:39 AM
Redpilot

Thanks Mark. I'd almost given up on this forum as being full of rude snobs who don't want people to take up the hobby

Useful advice there, though the poster above knows less than he thinks, since the SAFE system has three settings, including PFF, so its possible to progress (hence my interest)

I do want to join a club, but I am in the middle of moving job and house at the moment, so no clear idea of where I will end up, and certainly no flying time ATM.

You're right about the interest in drones, BTW. My other interest is photography, so I saw it as a possible adjunct to that.

Thanks again for your helpful advice. I will make a note of it.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with Mark also. It's your money--spend it in any manner you wish to. The others were a bit abrupt in their posts, but they have been here before, when noobies come with concrete ideas as to what he is going to do and completely ignore the advice of those here who know a lot more about this hobby than the noobie. The advice they give is sound. But you have your mind made up and only came here to have those ideas affirmed by those who know the hobby inside and out. Time after time, noobies who insisted on doing it their way have failed miserably once or twice and then gave up on the hobby and we never hear from them again. And they blame everyone else but themselves, These toy grade foamies are great for guys who only want to go out once or twice and smash them up in record time, but for those who are serious about learning to fly RC, do it with balsa trainers that have proved themselves year after year. One member mentioned the Avistar. That is a great plane. There are others, the Sig Kadet 40 is arguably the greatest trainer ever to come down the pike. The Goldberg Eagles are also good airplanes to learn to fly with. There are others. But the toy grade foamies are not helpful in the learning curve

If you care to look back in hundreds of other posts, you will find that these very members who were abrupt with you have had extensive and amiable exchanges with folks who are actually seeking advice amd/or ideas, but you didn't come here wanting to exchange ideas, You came here to tell us what you intended to do and we ain't about to influence you one way or the other. It is the old saying all over again: "Don't confuse me with facts. My mind is made up." So be it.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:34 AM
Redpilot

Well, what a load of old bollocks that is! If anyone has made their mind up in advance, it's you! Perhaps you missed the part where I specifically said I joined up here to get good advice, and where one of these 'sages' spouted incorrect information.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Mark Powell

Originally Posted by Redpilot
Thanks Mark. I'd almost given up on this forum as being full of rude snobs who don't want people to take up the hobby

Useful advice there, though the poster above knows less than he thinks, since the SAFE system has three settings, including PFF, so its possible to progress (hence my interest)

I do want to join a club, but I am in the middle of moving job and house at the moment, so no clear idea of where I will end up, and certainly no flying time ATM.

You're right about the interest in drones, BTW. My other interest is photography, so I saw it as a possible adjunct to that.

Thanks again for your helpful advice. I will make a note of it.
Redpilot.

I looked at the Apprentice. It seems an EXCELLENT choice, and as you say, it appears you can switch it so that your control is not limited in any way, but you can still use the 'red button' if needed (but always remember that not even the red button will save if it is too close to the ground to complete a recovery). It's fairly big, which is good, as often bigger trainers are less 'touchy' than little ones (that's a generalisation, I know, but given two sizes of the same design, it's broadly true). Also E-flite has a good reputation. Like Multiplex they can be quite expensive but if you want to save money go to building society not a model shop

I downloaded the manual and had a quick look. Pay particular note to 'centering the controls' and 'setting the throws' as these things are rarely set up exactly right straight out of the box.

One important thing about foamies. Keep it at an 'equable' temperature and never leave it in your car on a hot day If you do they warp all over the place. And similarly, don't leave things like brooms, garden rakes, etc. leaning against it. And briefly re-check the control centreing if you have stored it for a few weeks as foam tends to 'move'. Also ALWAYS check for 'full and free movement in the correct direction' of all the controls EVERY time before you open the throttle to take off. It only takes a few seconds. One point with the ailerons. Remember, to turn Right the Right aileron should Rise (setting up the ailerons backwards causes a lot of crashes on the very first flight of a new plane).

Last edited by Mark Powell; 10-05-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:23 PM
countilaw

I've been flying control line aircraft for 57 years and RC aircraft for over 35 years and teaching noobies to fly for just about as long. I've been around long enough to know what I'm talking about.

Now you come up and tell us that you are unemployed and looking for another house (probably evicted). Man, you need to get your priorities in line before you go spending money of toy airplanes.

"I do want to join a club, but I am in the middle of moving job and house at the moment, so no clear idea of where I will end up, and certainly no flying time ATM."

I've seen a million people like you, don't get into this hobby if you can't afford it.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:15 AM
Redpilot

You do have a habit of jumping to conclusions, doncha?

No, I'm not unemployed. No, I'm not evicted. In fact, I'm living across two places at the moment.

8/10 for your efforts to discourage people from the hobby, but I know here are plenty of people less up themselves than you, so I won't be calling on you for advice.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Redpilot

Meanwhile, back with the grown ups:

Thanks Mark. That all sounds like good advice, thanks. There are issues with all sorts of aircraft, but foamies have their own challenges.

Last edited by Redpilot; 10-06-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:51 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

If you're based in the UK make sure you come to some of the big RC shows around the UK. I fly and film at these shows. As a noob you'll get to see the full range of RC aeromodelling that is on offer.

These are the best,
  • Wings and Wheels Model Show
  • Weston Park International Model Show
  • Southern Model Show
  • Cosford Large Model Association Show (and others look on largemodelassociation.com)
You'll find coverage of all these on my 'Essential RC' YouTube channel.(https://www.youtube.com/user/ditchit)

Last edited by DominicM; 10-07-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:44 AM
Redpilot

Definitely! Thanks for the link. I shall try to get along to the shows, but will certainly watch your videos.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Mark Powell

Deleted.....

Last edited by Mark Powell; 10-07-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The assertion that you can't learn to fly with an Apprentice or any other trainer style foam airplane is complete BS. A lot of oldtimers seem to resent foam planes and electric power for some reason (maybe old fart syndrome?). We have a couple in our local club. Truth is, the Apprentice is probably the best trainer out there for a complete newbie to learn on. And electric power is definitely the way to go. No need to have to put up with the mess or the aggravation of cranky internal combustion engines!

And to anyone who thinks that a flight stabilized plane, by gyro or whatever means, flies itself, here is my challenge. Install a gyro in one of your planes, take off, and then set the transmitter on the ground and walk away. What a load of crap!
Old 10-12-2017, 01:56 AM
Redpilot

A very valid point! Will anyone take up the challenge?

And, Dominic, I found that I had already watched some of your videos before! I enjoyed exploring the others as well. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:49 PM
nellsey

I have been an instructor for quite a few years and tend to agree with a few posters on here with regards to some of the electric foam models.
Whilst they do a good job of getting some orientation basics, they have a tendancy to teach you bad habits in most of the ways to control a plane. If you only ever wish to fly foam models then there is little point in flying anything else.
However, If you do intend to fly something more traditional, or even perhaps something scale, with an ic engine then it is much more difficult(and expensive!) to make the transition if coming from a foam only background.
Most foam models have a very low wing loading so will float even in slowest of turns. Do that with many planes and you will be taking your pride and joy home in a plastic bag!

Although you may feel you have had a few negative comments, as a newcomer to the hobby it would probably be benificial for you to ignore rather than come back with aggitated offending remarks. These guys could be of great help in the future if you show them you are genuinely interested in the hobby.

Joining a club is essential for safety as well as the flying
Where in the UK are you based?

Best of luck.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Choices for first RC Trainer

Hi Redpilot;
Greetings to you from Wickenburg, Arizona, USA.
Re your request for advice for a beginner type RC aircraft, I would strongly agree with Jolly Popper above re his recommendation of the SIG Kadet, and the Carl Goldberg Eagle; I would add the following: a Hal deBolt designed Live Wire Cub/Champ, LW Trainer; note these are long out of production but plans are available online. Other choices would be a M.E.N. Trainer, and the Butterfly I & II; these are also out of production but are available on line [eBay], + plans are available also.
Do join a club, and seek out the old timers', [like myself], for advice; note again: all the design suggestions herein are for US designs, however, there are many,many similar UK/European designs that are similar, but the deBolts'/SIGs'/Carl Goldbergs' are known world wide. Start with slow flying high wing design, flying with Rudder/Elevator/Throtle Control only, learn to fly with an instructor, once you can fly, then advance to a model with the additional Aileron Control.
And that's about all I can suggest: 'been there/done that', 65+ years destroying balsawood, 49 years in RC.
I will close for now, welcome to RCU, and the best of luck to you, best regards from the old western frontier town of Wickenburg, Arizona, the Roping Capital of the World,

Joe Nagy.
I wil
Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Mark Powell

Originally Posted by Joe Nagy
Hi Redpilot;
Greetings to you from Wickenburg, Arizona, USA.
Re your request for advice for a beginner type RC aircraft, I would strongly agree with Jolly Popper above re his recommendation of the SIG Kadet, and the Carl Goldberg Eagle; I would add the following: a Hal deBolt designed Live Wire Cub/Champ, LW Trainer; note these are long out of production but plans are available online. Other choices would be a M.E.N. Trainer, and the Butterfly I & II; these are also out of production but are available on line [eBay], + plans are available also.
Do join a club, and seek out the old timers', [like myself], for advice; note again: all the design suggestions herein are for US designs, however, there are many,many similar UK/European designs that are similar, but the deBolts'/SIGs'/Carl Goldbergs' are known world wide. Start with slow flying high wing design, flying with Rudder/Elevator/Throtle Control only, learn to fly with an instructor, once you can fly, then advance to a model with the additional Aileron Control.
And that's about all I can suggest: 'been there/done that', 65+ years destroying balsawood, 49 years in RC.
I will close for now, welcome to RCU, and the best of luck to you, best regards from the old western frontier town of Wickenburg, Arizona, the Roping Capital of the World,

Joe Nagy.
I wil
What a nice, positive post.
I'm in the UK and know all the planes you suggest. In its day the little 1/2A Goldberg Skylane was a popular choice here. Ken Willard designs were popular too, as was the more advanced Top Flite Tauri.

I looked up Wickenburg. It has an interesting history and looks a pleasant place. We have lots more history than you but as most of it is about long dead kings it's not very interesting. We called our troublesome tribesmen 'the Scots'

Last edited by Mark Powell; 10-18-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 AM
Redpilot

Hey, thanks, Joe! I will certainly check out the models you mention, and see what I can find.

Wickenburg does look interesting.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:12 AM
Redpilot

By the way, don't try Googling for MEN Trainer or Butterfly on a work computer, as there are some *ahem* interesting search results!