Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Scammer alert!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 05:07 PM
grandpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scammer alert!

I had an attempted scam in one of my ads, through the RCU link.

[email protected] is the villain.

He sent me an email stating he wanted to buy the Revolver aerobatic plane I listed for $150, and that he'd "have his assistant mail me a check".
I received a "Cashier's Check" from Utah Community Credit Union, made out to me for $1,750.
He e-mailed me and told me "his assistant messed up and sent him a payment meant for a different purchase, a piano". He said I should "go ahead and deposit it, keep the amount of the sale plus $100 for my trouble, and send him a WalMart money transfer to 'David Phillips' in Springfield, OR".

I was "kinda" concerned. So, I went to WalMart and tried to use the Cashier's Check to arrange the transfer. hee hee The lady ran it though her machine and it rejected it. So, she tried another machine that also rejected it. ha ha

I took it to my bank and they IMMEDIATELY told me they would not accept it on deposit without holding $1,750 of my own money till it cleared, then stated they believed it to be fraudulent.

So, I e-mailed UCCU and they replied that indeed it was a forgery, and to report it at once to the FBI.

So BEWARE this scum: [email protected]
Old 10-20-2017, 05:46 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Get a rope.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:53 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Question

Did you really need to actually go to Wallmart and your bank to verify the $1750 check was bogus , variations of that scam have been around about as long as there have been people putting for sale ads in the newspaper classifieds .
Old 10-22-2017, 03:13 AM
grandpaul

My first time with an actual bogus check.

I did have 3 or four variations of really intricate 3rd-party representative buyer calls for the SINGLE craigslist ad I ever posted! Never again.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Instead of posting about it here, notify the marketplace admin user name JWN
Old 10-22-2017, 02:38 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpaul
My first time with an actual bogus check.

I did have 3 or four variations of really intricate 3rd-party representative buyer calls for the SINGLE craigslist ad I ever posted! Never again.
Sad isn't it , you try to sell something and the scammers come out of the woodwork . Grandpaul it's for the very reason you describe , weeding through the scammers and BSers , that I will not sell stuff on either Ebay nor Craigslist and I do have a bunch of hobby stuff I need to get rid of soon (moving after this upcoming winter)

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Instead of posting about it here, notify the marketplace admin user name JWN
This is great advice for anyone who gets contacted by a scammer attracted by their RCU Marketplace ad .
Old 10-23-2017, 06:14 AM
grandpaul

Well, I'm all done apart from selling a one-time lot of all the crashed planes and partial cars that didn't sell at the swap meet this past weekend (it went really well), and it will only be between two lot buyers, so I'm "out of here".

Thanx for everything folks.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is very helpful that everyone is reporting scammers, but it is better if the Report Ad to Moderator link present in every ad is used first and foremost. This alerts me directly for the fastest response.

The account associated with the reported email address has been banned. That does not mean they will not try and continue to contact those they have already emailed so everyone should still be vigilant. If it is found they have created a new account and continue with their fraud attempts, please report it immediately.