Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

FAA UAS Registration Refund (Recreational Models)

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FAA UAS Registration Refund (Recreational Models)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 02:23 PM
HunkaJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAA UAS Registration Refund (Recreational Models)

FYI, Since the courts struck down FAA registration requirement for recreational flying models, they have provided the means to have your information removed from the UAS database and get a refund. I'll be sending this in after the Thanksgiving holiday to get my information deleted from the federal database. I'm not asking for a refund because mine was free, If memory serves; I think it had to do with signing up within a certain time period made it free to me.

This information removal and refund only pertains to model aircraft for purely recreational use.

https://​​​​​​​www.faa.gov/uas/getti...structions.pdf
Old 11-20-2017, 05:27 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congress recently finalized the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that restores the FAA’s registration requirement. This bill reverses an earlier U.S. Court of Appeals decision that struck down the registration requirement when John Taylor challenged the rule. When this new national defense bill is enacted, all hobbyists and members will again be legally required to comply with the FAA registration requirement.

We expect this legislation to go through final passage in the House and Senate, and to the President’s desk soon. AMA members will be required to comply with the registration rule when it is again in effect. We will update you when this happens.

AMA believes that registration makes sense at some level, but has pushed for a more reasonable threshold, arguing that if registration is to be implemented, the criteria, threshold, and implementation should go through rulemaking. We are advocating that members should be able to use their AMA number/membership as an alternative to the registration requirement. While we address these issues, members will be legally required to comply with the FAA registration requirement when this bill is enacted.

We continue to work closely with Congress, the FAA, and other stakeholders to determine the best path forward when registration is re instituted.

Frank
Old 11-20-2017, 05:29 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Who's this 'we'?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:58 AM
countilaw

Originally Posted by tailskid
Who's this 'we'?
The "we" is the AMA. This is the post that has just been posted to inform all members that they will need to conform to the FAA rules for the registration.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:59 AM
countilaw

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
FYI, Since the courts struck down FAA registration requirement for recreational flying models, they have provided the means to have your information removed from the UAS database and get a refund. I'll be sending this in after the Thanksgiving holiday to get my information deleted from the federal database. I'm not asking for a refund because mine was free, If memory serves; I think it had to do with signing up within a certain time period made it free to me.

This information removal and refund only pertains to model aircraft for purely recreational use.

https://​​​​​​​www.faa.gov/uas/getti...structions.pdf
This is old news and is no longer valid.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:44 PM
HunkaJunk

I have so had enough of all these damn government scamps. If I had a place to fly without AMA, I would do it in a heartbeat and use a private liability insurance policy as in the past.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:34 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
I have so had enough of all these damn government scamps. If I had a place to fly without AMA, I would do it in a heartbeat and use a private liability insurance policy as in the past.
But unfortunately , AMA or not , You'd still be required to register with the FAA if you fly anything above "Toy grade" RC aircraft .
Old 11-22-2017, 03:37 AM
HunkaJunk

Originally Posted by init4fun
But unfortunately , AMA or not , You'd still be required to register with the FAA if you fly anything above "Toy grade" RC aircraft .
True, but at least I wouldn't be supporting an organization that claims to represent my interests, and clearly does not, I absolutely disagree with the AMA statement that "registration makes sense at some level", and it really burns me up that I'm giving money to an organization that put such a statement out. I'll have to work on this, I am very conscious about where the money I earn gets spent, I don't support businesses or organizations that I feel betray me.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 11-22-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

At some level, think about that.

The req's right now are over a half pound, thats just silly. A case could be made for registering pilots flying a model over a certain size, I don't know what that size is but if it were me personally, I'd say anything over 55 pounds needing an LMA inspection the pilot could be registered.

The other thing the AMA is trying to push for, is to have an AMA membership meet the registration requirement.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:00 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
At some level, think about that.

The req's right now are over a half pound, thats just silly. A case could be made for registering pilots flying a model over a certain size, I don't know what that size is but if it were me personally, I'd say anything over 55 pounds needing an LMA inspection the pilot could be registered.

The other thing the AMA is trying to push for, is to have an AMA membership meet the registration requirement.
While the AMA advocated for it wasn't that pretty much blown off by the feds when the registration's began? With registration now attached to the DOD funding SEC. 336 is pretty much done also.

Mike
Old 11-30-2017, 02:57 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

As a Canadian who fly’s in the US on a regular basis I registered as soon as I could. (It was impossible for foreign nationals to register on line for quite some time)

I don’t care about a $5 refund; I spend more on fuel at any given outing. LOL

I could care less about deleting the information I supplied for registration. I think they have much more information about me than I could have provided with the registration process.

There are rumors the registration might be back on I’m hoping my old registration still stands and will save me a redo.

Dennis
Old 12-06-2017, 07:31 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am seeing a lot of different thoughts on this subject. The FAA numbers are coming back and like it or not, we all need to comply. The one subject that has not been talked about is the idiots that caused the FAA to get involved. Just a couple of weeks ago one of these idiot's hit the Space Needle in Seattle. These same idiot's have been able to ground fire fighting aircraft by flying their Drones over a fire zone. It cannot be argued that something needed to be done. Is this registration the right thing, jury is still out. Are the Hobby Shops telling those that buy Drones at the local Hobby Shop that they need to register it with the FAA, I am thinking not all of them. Putting the number on your planes might be a pain, but it allows us to still fly. Many years ago in the early stages of RC, we had to have a radio license from the FCC. In the big Picture, I believe that the AMA has done a good job at protecting our hobby. The FCC License years ago and now the FAA number seem like nothing if it allows me to pursue my love of RC Aircraft. It cost me 5 bucks to get the number for 3 years and a couple bucks to print up my stickers with my number to affix to my planes. Considering what I have spent on my planes and support equipment, 5 bucks is a really small drop in the bucket. I know that the reason that this new sticker is being required is because of a few dummies' and as they say, you just can't fix stupid. Life moves on and my planes now have a new sticker on them, but I am still flying.......
Old 12-12-2017, 06:14 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked up that story and watched the drone footage. I didn't read the whole article but it did say that there had been at least 3 instances at the space needle. The first thing that entered my mind was what if that were me up there and I hear something crash into where I`m working hundreds of feet up. Agreed it is the actions of the irresponsible that will potentially ruin it for the rest of us. Despite the trouble, I`m optimistic that things will work out in the long term.