Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Crash Engine Salvage

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:52 PM
longbaot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash Engine Salvage

My OS FS91 with pump was in a crashed 4 months ago. Today I recovered the plane. I need to know how to salvage the engine after 4 months of exposure to the elements. It appears the exhaust opening was facing down and it is my hope that rain water did not enter. Also the carb opening was not facing up. I am able to turn the crank easily for 1/8 turn before it feels like it is hitting something. Help!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:26 AM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it apart before trying to turn it over? Turning it over could damage it more if it got dirt inside. Parts are so expensive that I'd be tempted to buy another engine and use this one for parts. Good Luck.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Twinhydro
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned take it completely apart and clean with mineral spirits or similar to start with and blow off with compressed air . Plan on replacing the bearings for sure and clean any rust of crank etc with some bronze wool from the hardware store . Clean piston and sleeve further in hot soapy water , blow dry and lubricate . Bearings are readily available from Boca Bearing in FL . If you need help send a message and I'll see if I can walk you through it . Not many parts in one of these engines so not too bad to deal with .