Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

EDF Pinewood Derby Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:01 AM
blumbergh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF Pinewood Derby Car

Hey everyone. I'm generally new to the RC world and only have a car which is my sons and we play a bit in the backyard. so needless to say my experience level is low.

We are heading to the pinewood derby in Jan and i wanted to try to compete in the Outlaw (parents) class. We have never really had any really fast or exotic cars or setups in the past and i wanted to do something different and would like to build a car with am EDF on it to go fast and encourage the kids to think outside the box a bit.

As i really have no idea what i am doing and have struggled a bit trying to come up with an exact parts list and a how to build i am reaching out to see if my theory's are correct and my parts list makes at least a little sense.

My goal is to build a car throw a 50mm EDF on top of it and let it go to town. I would like to incorporate a micro switch in the front which will disable the motor until the gate drops and a master switch to kill the whole thing when not in use. the runs should last no more than ~2 seconds and i will need to make between 4 and 8 runs without changing the battery. if i need to go bigger, smaller or i am on point within what i have just let me know. i was going to try to use the servo tester as a throttle as opposed to a receiver so i can dial in the speed to a generally safe level.

Thanks for taking a look and help, advice or criticism is welcome. i'm looking to order the parts this week as I have a fairly small testing window.

Anyway pick away and thanks!!

list:
HobbyKing™ 50mm Alloy EDF 4800kv (3s Version)

Afro 20A Race Spec Mini ESC with BEC

Turnigy nano-tech 450mAh 3S 65C Lipo

Hobbyking LED Servo Tester
Old 12-06-2017, 02:37 PM
TomM

Friend of mine made a "parent's class" car a couple years ago with an EDF. He said it left the lane on 3 out of 3 tries. One problem could be more downforce was needed, , but the other problem I was thinking was the instant full throttle of the edf. might have imparted some twist to the car and helped it jump lanes. Possibly look into a 1 second ramp-up of throttle.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:42 AM
blumbergh

i thought about this as well. i am going to try to get a few spoilers places around the car in order to keep it on track. i also have access to the track fro a few weeks ahead of the race so i am hoping to be able to literally "Dial" in the proper speed with the servo tester. if i have to make it slower i will. The whole idea is just to have some fun and do something a bit different.

did you happen to look over the list and see if what i have there will work togehther as a package?