Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Aluminium Tape Covering

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:23 AM
bethomson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Aluminium Tape Covering

Hi all,
I have just taken on a friends unfinished war bird project (An SC 120 4 stroke powered P51 Mustang built from plan).
In the main the body is almost finished leaving just the main wing and a few odds and ends to finalise.
The guy I got it from clearly had grand plans for build and had started to cover the fuselage in alloy tape. This is not a technique I have ever seen before and have only been able to find one video of it on you tube in which a guy covers a simple foam delta wing.
I would love to finish the model in this way as it looks fantastic. The friend had even started going over each panel of tape applying rivet detail with a narrow hexagonal copper tube he was pressing into the covering.

If anyone has ever covered a model in this way and has any tips and tricks to share I would love to hear from you. I'm interested in understanding how the structure under the tape should be prepared (Varnished / Just sanded ect)? Should the tape panels be overlapped and is adding rivet detail by pressing into the tape best way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks

PS: I've only snapped one pic of the model so far (as i was collecting it and squeezing it into my car), ill add more as soon as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3147.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	2246421  
Old 11-28-2017, 03:56 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you got the model from a friend, I suggest that you ask him to teach you his technique.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Years ago ( I think ) there was an article in the AMA magazine about covering like this , sorry I don't remember who or when . Try going to the scale forum, there used to be a guy ( Stan I think ) that was really up on this kind of thing . Good Luck . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 AM
bethomson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tom / Red.
Ill certainly have a look at the scale forum.
The guy I took it on from showed me how he had been doing it but as it was the first time he had done it i was just wanted to see if there were any other techniques or watch outs to be aware of
Old 11-28-2017, 09:26 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The aluminum tape method isn't as common as using self adhesive foil. I, too, have seen an article on using it, but I can't remember where.

You Tube has vids on using the foil. Maybe the techniques would cross over.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You might search for articles on the use of Flite-Metal which is similar to aluminum tape but is much softer and more pliable.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:57 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bethomson
Thanks Tom / Red.
Ill certainly have a look at the scale forum.
The guy I took it on from showed me how he had been doing it but as it was the first time he had done it i was just wanted to see if there were any other techniques or watch outs to be aware of
Hello!
I am in a similar situation, and I have used all sorts of foil including mommas kitchen foil which I bonded on with 3m 77 spray on adhesive , but I am not very happy with the results. I have not figured how to prevent wrinkles. I used tape to define the edges and cut the foil defined by the tape and it then matches the foil next to it. rubbing it down is where I run into trouble and I need practice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0343.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	2247212   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0342.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	2247213