Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

26cc turnigy gas engine carb adjustments

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

26cc turnigy gas engine carb adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Skybarron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 26cc turnigy gas engine carb adjustments

i bought a new 26cc turnigy at a swap meet a couple weeks ago without a manual. can anyone tell me what the initial mixture setting should be??
Old 03-24-2018, 12:14 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

This might get you the info you're looking for... I just did a quick Google search is all. This came from HobbyKing's site for the Turnigy 26.

Click image for larger version

Name:	511092549X48229X33.pdf
Views:	78
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	2259622

Most of the carbs on these engines are very similar... many are identical and use the same carb from one brand engine to another brand. From my experience the needles are initially set to 1 to 1.25 turns each... that will probably get you in the ballpark to start the engine. I would use Redline oil (available at the motorcycle shop), at 40:1 ratio. Redline at 40:1 is the best stuff you can put in any of these engines. It's not the cheapest.. there are less expensive oils..but it's the best by far. Go with about a 16x8 or 17x6 prop to start with.. I'm thinking more in the 16x8 range though.

Carbs, adjustments, fuel requirements are all usually near identical in this type of engine from one brand to another... so if you learn this one.. the next one should be very close in operation. Where you really want to be careful is when you step up to higher performance, higher dollar engines... there a few things can change.. still they're all pretty easy to run though.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:08 AM
Skybarron

Thank you very much for your help. Got it fired up. Runs good
Old 03-24-2018, 03:12 AM
Skybarron

Im mounting the engine in a t-6 texan. 17x7 prop. Plane weighs 15.2 lbs flight ready. Im hoping this works.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:55 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These engines are not the greatest and their horsepower spec is subject. I think it will probably fly the plane but you won't have any "extra" to get out of trouble. This can get worse depending on where you live (altitude) ,
A DLE30 or 35ra would be a better choice for a 15+ pound plane.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:44 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There's always something better out there no doubt.. yes the Turnigy line is an entry level economy engine, but some can be workhorses too if you get a good one. I'd put a 50 in a 15lb warbird myself.. but that's just me.. matter of fact I've done it a few times, I'm crazy like that. Although weight is probably the biggest factor for flight, power can be the second biggest. A 26cc engine in a 15lb warbird is actually marginal, depending on the wing area, wing loading and a few other factors. It should fly the plane reasonably.. just keep the RPM's higher on landing approach, don't even think about floating it in... and fly it all the way down. I currently fly a 15lb aerobat with a 50 in it, but it has nearly a 1300 sq.in. wing area to carry the 15lbs like a feather... not so much with warbirds though. They generally have higher wing loadings then aerobats in nearly every case. Post back how your flights went, and how your engine performs. Good luck with it.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:29 AM
Skybarron

Thanks for the info. The wing is 82 inches long. I will ck sq. Inch. I used the turnigy because of the side mounted carb. Had issues with cowl fit with a 32 rcgf rear carb engine.