Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobbico For Sale!!!

Old 04-01-2018, 06:37 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well. there`s always the old adage "buyer beware". It seems that more retailers have "cheap junk" for sale to make a buck on those who are always looking for the lowest possible price. And as far as advertising goes, I was surprised to see that Model Aviation runs a 2 page ad for Harbor Freight. I know there are exceptions, but c`mon, are you really gonna buy that 6.5 horsepower gas engine for $99.00? . I`m a mechanic and I see first hand how a well made product versus cheap junk compare. Mr. Always Angling For A Buck working next to me buys the $10.00 1/2 Drive breaker bar. "Such a deal!" he exclaims. Ok. So it was no surprise to later see the tool laying on the bench with the head snapped off. Not only inconvenient, but potentially dangerous. Obviously, the same goes for model aircraft supplies.
I think a quality product sold with good service will win out over high volume, questionable quality and lousy service every time.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:30 AM
tntpooof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bad business practice.. really like not paying bills for 3 years .. 100 millions in outstanding debt. so you all thing they will have all the brands they had b4 ..lets see no.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:55 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
It seems Estes Rockets may be OK but I hope Revell and Revell Germany will be as well. Both companies are also a big part of the hobby world.
If they truly are a big part of the hobby world they will remain viable I'm sure . With us , this may be about nostalgia but for the investors if it ain't making a decent buck it'll be gone no matter how iconic or revered the name may be . Flyboy2610 said earlier how he hopes the kits remain because HH concentrates mostly in ARFs , and yes of course as a nostalgia trip I'd like to see kits remain too , but if they aren't making money they'll be gone faster than a politician's promise ! In the future I believe you won't see the big retailers carrying kits , it'll be the small "niche market" manufacturers marketing the kits to a limited audience that'll be willing to pay dearly for the pleasure of actually building it themselves . When ARFs were new & few they cost twice what a kit cost , once kits become niche market they will surpass ARFs in cost as the forces of supply & demand have their way with the prices ....
Old 04-03-2018, 01:37 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd Better get my escapade and seagull Sbach before HH takes over
I hate HH, ahs never been a pleasent experience with them
Regards,
Patrick
Old 04-03-2018, 02:40 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
I think a quality product sold with good service will win out over high volume, questionable quality and lousy service every time.

There was a time I believed this was true. A stint as a hobby shop owner and an occasional gawker at Harbor Freight has proved to me that the average American consumer prefers cheap junk. The fact that cheap junk breaks in light use or fails before it’s first use is not nearly as important to the average Joe than what he paid for it.

Almost 20 years ago I wandered into a Harbor Freight store and left, convinced they wouldn’t last a year.

Boy was I wrong!
Old 04-05-2018, 05:55 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer

There was a time I believed this was true. A stint as a hobby shop owner and an occasional gawker at Harbor Freight has proved to me that the average American consumer prefers cheap junk. The fact that cheap junk breaks in light use or fails before it’s first use is not nearly as important to the average Joe than what he paid for it.

Almost 20 years ago I wandered into a Harbor Freight store and left, convinced they wouldn’t last a year.

Boy was I wrong!
You have to be careful what you buy there. Read the reviews carefully. I bought a set of three two-jaw pullers. One of them broke the first time I put pressure on it. I also have a lighted magnifying lamp (the desk top one, not the clamp on one) that works great! I bought a belt/disc sander as well. A common complaint on it was that the motor would bog down under even light pressure. The problem isn't the motor, it is that the belt tension needs to be set correctly. Once the drive belt tension is right, that thing has lots of power! Harbor Freight has some reals gems, but they also have a lot of pure junk! You just have to watch what you buy.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:15 AM
MarkD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone else gotten an email about opting out of having your personal details (previous orders) transferred to Hobbico?

Mine states that I must opt out by APRIL 6, 2018.

My email server shows that the email arrived at my in-box at 9:33 PM April 6, 2018.

You get 2 Hrs 27 minutes to opt out?

MarkD.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:55 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Has anyone else gotten an email about opting out of having your personal details (previous orders) transferred to Hobbico?

Mine states that I must opt out by APRIL 6, 2018.

My email server shows that the email arrived at my in-box at 9:33 PM April 6, 2018.

You get 2 Hrs 27 minutes to opt out?

MarkD.
My notice, saying the same thing, arrived this morning, which is too late to take action.

This is more like something Hobby King would do. I wonder if this is what we can expect from Horizon ?
Old 04-07-2018, 05:11 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Since Horizon bought Hobbico , wouldn't it seem right that Horizon gets all of Hobbico's assets , including customer lists ? I don't see where this could come as a shock to anyone , how many other companies get bought whose client lists aren't included in the purchase ? Tell ya what , if I ever considered buying a company you can bet your backside that it would be a "no sale" unless the client list came with the sale , that's for sure .
Old 04-07-2018, 05:12 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomCrump
My notice, saying the same thing, arrived this morning, which is too late to take action.

This is more like something Hobby King would do. I wonder if this is what we can expect from Horizon ?
Has to be a typo.
Call the 800 number and talk to them. Unlike HK ,someone will actually pick up the phone and give you a valid answer to your question !

Contact was made to dealers this week by HH and TH and restocking of items should take place in the next few weeks.