Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How many days can guests fly at your club

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How many days can guests fly at your club

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:28 AM
Lennyshotgun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How many days can guests fly at your club

We are a club in Northern Ca and are trying to get an idea of what other clubs do regarding guest flyers.
Unfortunately a couple of clubs in our area have lost their flying site and are guest flying at our club - just wondering where to draw the line and say they must join our club if they want to continue to fly at our field.
I'm hoping to get an idea of how other clubs around the US are handling the issue.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:34 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not in the US but its pretty universal a couple two three times after that you should be considering becoming a member. If they are actively looking for a new field your club may extend as a favour a time period even a day during the week that their members may use the club until they can find another but that should be a club decision usually by vote. Two clubs can be one heck of an influx of active flyers and could lead to hard feelings if some of the regular club members are made to wait to fly at the club they paid dues to join.

You may not have much of an option unless your club is on private land or you have exclusive use of the public land you may be on. I have visited clubs in the US that were on land managed by the Army Corps of Engineers and being public anyone with an AMA membership could use the field even though they did not belong to the club. The only time usage that was controlled by the club was during registered events. There was a lot of hard feelings and squabbling that went on. Not a good time on either side.

Good luck
Dennis
Old 04-30-2018, 01:13 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Till they get tired of flying.

Most people don't abuse it but if you have AMA you don't need to be a member to fly at our club. You need to be a member to get a key and if the last member leaves you're out but we don't count guest visits.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:25 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For most clubs its three times, however I have known clubs to make special arrangements for flyers that have lost their field. Sometimes flyers can join for a reduced rate after having lost
their field and pay the full amount at the next renewal if they wish to continue flying.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:16 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is a shot of the guest rules of the club I belong to . The short answer is three times in a year's time .
Old 05-01-2018, 12:47 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Three
Old 05-01-2018, 02:05 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Three times per calendar year.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:19 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a neighboring club lose their field and we gave them three months to decide. It just happened to be three months until our dues were due again. They had to pay for their gate key. When our annual dues came due, all the club members paid and the visitors that wanted to join our club did so also. New keys were distributed to paying members and all the old keys no longer worked.

Frank
Old 05-02-2018, 04:04 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a 'funny' rule concerning guests....we welcome them and ask they fly with us for a month or two and see if then they like our club and would like to join.....otherwise, we have no limits on guests - as long as they fly safely and follow the #1 rule of model aviation.....

Jerry
Old 05-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by tailskid
as long as they follow the #1 rule of model aviation.....

Jerry
Yell as loud as they can "I DON"T GOT IT..............I DON"T GOT IT............HEADS UP!!!!!!!"

LOL
Old 05-02-2018, 06:28 PM
tailskid

Sorry Propworn, that's not #1......it's #5.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:49 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Yell as loud as they can "I DON"T GOT IT..............I DON"T GOT IT............HEADS UP!!!!!!!"

LOL
I think its "Always treat your airplane like its loaded..."
Old 05-04-2018, 01:23 PM
tailskid

Sorry Mattnew, that one is way down the list.....but I like it!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:57 AM
ma_mulcahy

At ours, they can fly until we catch them. Then we bust up the plane, break their legs and tell 'em not to come back........
Old 05-10-2018, 07:13 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by ma_mulcahy
At ours, they can fly until we catch them. Then we bust up the plane, break their legs and tell 'em not to come back........
Can I watch??????? I like to see big talkers get their azz handed to them. Fun to see a little humble pie eaten once in a while. LOL
Old 05-10-2018, 07:36 AM
ma_mulcahy

Originally Posted by Propworn
Can I watch??????? I like to see big talkers get their azz handed to them. Fun to see a little humble pie eaten once in a while. LOL
Just kidding Propworn!
Old 05-10-2018, 04:55 PM
tailskid

Darn!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:59 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Lenny:

We live in Southern vacation land and have Guest privileges abused all of the time by the cheap snowbirds that come down and don't want to pay to keep the lights on. But, the Club is extremely generous for the vacationer that comes down for only a week or two. I thought that we allowed 3 visits per year, but we don't. Instead, the Club gives 2 weeks with it being consecutive days. With Hurricane Irma last year, here in SW Fla, several of the Clubs lost their fields, due to the cities using the flying sites for vegetation debris. A couple of the Clubs still don't have their fields back, and I am not sure they ever will. Our Club was inundated with all of those extra members. I think that most joined our Club.
Here is the Club's Constitution on the subject:

ARTICLE V GUEST PRIVILEGES
A. Any member in good standing may bring guests to the flying site. The guest must have an AMA card or its equivalent from Canada or Europe. B. The Club will extend full field privileges to the guest for a maximum of two (2) weeks in any one (1) calendar year, after which he/she are expected to join the Club. C. The member will be responsible to make sure that the guest is aware and follows all Club safety and flying rules. D. A check flight is required for all guests by an Instructor or an Officer, before flying. After displaying flying proficiency, the Instructor or Officer will sign and date the back of the Guest Pass. Guest may only fly those aircraft they have been approved for. The Guest pass must be displayed when flying.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:47 PM
tailskid

We have just the opposite! As northerners come down for the winter, they all want to pay dues and join the club. For snowbirds we only charge $25, but many of them want to pay the full amount ($50)!
Old 05-13-2018, 06:05 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

At our club its 4 times per calendar year. I don't know if that's strictly adhered to though.