Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

FCC Fines Hobby King $2.8 Million Dollars

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FCC Fines Hobby King $2.8 Million Dollars

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:49 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FCC Fines Hobby King $2.8 Million Dollars

As Biff Tannon would say, Well lookie what we have here?

The FCC has lowered the boom on Hobby King for selling non certified radio equipment in the United States. Chances are they will not pay and will instead, retreat to China. Anthony will of course have to move to avoid prosecution but so what. The most likely outcome of this is that the justice department and the Federal Trade Commission will ban Hobby King from operating in the United States. That is likely to put a damper on their income and knowing Anthony Hand, he will start a new company under yet another name, just like in the past. So keep an eye out for Ding Hao hobby or maybe 肮脏的小偷 hobby, something like that.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-18-71A1.pdf
Old 06-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

HK may be able to soften the fine due to changes made on their web site. Checking some of the items listed in the PDF allow you to view the product but not be able to place it in your cart. On the item page(s) a disclaimer: We are sorry, at this time this product is not available in your country. So, at this time cannot be ordered.

Doubtful they will have to pay all of the proposed fine but some negotiated amount which is normal when dealing with federal agencies. Not likely HK will go away over this.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:07 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would recommend the FCC call HK's customer service.....
Old 06-07-2018, 07:33 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by Dick T.
HK may be able to soften the fine due to changes made on their web site. Checking some of the items listed in the PDF allow you to view the product but not be able to place it in your cart. On the item page(s) a disclaimer: We are sorry, at this time this product is not available in your country. So, at this time cannot be ordered.

Doubtful they will have to pay all of the proposed fine but some negotiated amount which is normal when dealing with federal agencies. Not likely HK will go away over this.
I saw where they stopped selling the non certified items but unfortunately the fines have already been incurred for past offenses. Not selling the items only keeps them from accruing additional liability but will not soften the fine, as you put it. I think that because they are a foreign company they will simply choose not to pay. If that happens they might be restricted from selling goods of any kind in the United States but no matter. Anthony Hand is very adept at circumventing the system. Best case scenario is that Hobby King liquidates and goes under. There are plenty of Chinese hobby companies to take their place so I doubt they will be missed.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:20 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Thank You tailskid , that made me smile ...

Originally Posted by topspin
Anthony Hand is very adept at circumventing the system.
So we should see the grand opening of "Hobby Emperor" soon ?
Old 06-08-2018, 04:31 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Maybe "Hobby Grand Master of the Universe"?
Old 06-10-2018, 10:13 AM
topspin

If you go to RCG and look around the various forums you will notice that Turnigy seems to have fallen off the scope. I wonder if HK had to stop compensating all of their internet fan boys? When Anthony Hand was first notified of the FCC action he did tell them that they would probably go out of business. This does not bode well for those companies. Looks like Anthony will have to crank up a new dummy corporation in the Caymen Islands.

Read the FCC NAL for Forfeiture and look at all of the companies listed.

"HobbyKing is the trade name of several U.S.-based companies (ABC Fulfillment

Services LLC and Indubitably, Inc.) as well as a Hong Kong-based company (Hextronik LTD), all

associated with an individual named Anthony Hand.3 HobbyKing.com, HobbyKing’s website, markets

numerous recreational radio frequency devices intended for use with model airplanes and drones to

customers all over the world, including the United States.4 HobbyKing has a New York office and

customer service operations in the United States."

Last edited by topspin; 06-10-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Dick T.

I did read through the FCC missive and concur with your post. My point still stands that our government agencies are slow moving entities so Mr. Hand has ample time and legal resources to slow them further. His multiple companies are no different than US companies that build shells to disperse money and responsibilities making it difficult to track liabilities. If the FCC cracks hard it will probably be towards Hobby King which is the retail arm of his ventures. The satellites are out of reach because they don't sell direct.

Interesting to see how it plays out but it will take a while.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 AM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hobby King

Originally Posted by tailskid
Customer service???? You have a sense of humor
Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, yes I do

How are things in Fairmount? I see where Leonard passed away...going to miss that smile of his.

Jerry
Old 06-20-2018, 07:27 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by Dick T.
I did read through the FCC missive and concur with your post. My point still stands that our government agencies are slow moving entities so Mr. Hand has ample time and legal resources to slow them further. His multiple companies are no different than US companies that build shells to disperse money and responsibilities making it difficult to track liabilities. If the FCC cracks hard it will probably be towards Hobby King which is the retail arm of his ventures. The satellites are out of reach because they don't sell direct.

Interesting to see how it plays out but it will take a while.
I am not so sure in this case Dick. They have given them nearly three years to comply and Hand more or less, gave Uncle Sam the finger. Granted the FCC is slow on some maters but they move much more quickly against corporate entities as opposed to ham and CB radios kinds of cases that can drag on for years.

As for legal resources, it looks as though Hobby King has one legal rep in the US, and that is far from the requisite muscle to go against the FCC since everyone on the commission is a lawyer. Hobby King is having yet another "everything must go" liquidation sale which is interesting. And lastly it appears as though they have either closed their New York PR shell, Indubidubly Inc. LLC, or the guy who was funning it just shut the doors and split the scene. I have a feeling Anthony's back is against the wall on this one. In order to avoid prosecution he will have to leave the US, if he hasn't already. He will also have to get rid of all of the US assets or the FCC can simply take them. Lets see how this plays out.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:17 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I am not so sure in this case Dick. They have given them nearly three years to comply and Hand more or less, gave Uncle Sam the finger. Granted the FCC is slow on some maters but they move much more quickly against corporate entities as opposed to ham and CB radios kinds of cases that can drag on for years.

As for legal resources, it looks as though Hobby King has one legal rep in the US, and that is far from the requisite muscle to go against the FCC since everyone on the commission is a lawyer. Hobby King is having yet another "everything must go" liquidation sale which is interesting. And lastly it appears as though they have either closed their New York PR shell, Indubidubly Inc. LLC, or the guy who was funning it just shut the doors and split the scene. I have a feeling Anthony's back is against the wall on this one. In order to avoid prosecution he will have to leave the US, if he hasn't already. He will also have to get rid of all of the US assets or the FCC can simply take them. Lets see how this plays out.
Got a link? I can't find any sale like that on HKs site
Old 06-24-2018, 11:53 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Got a link? I can't find any sale like that on HKs site
Banner ads all over this site. Is that good enough for ya?

It looks like their CS guy in New York booked, and everyone is tight lipped about it. Something is up.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:34 PM
scale only 4 me

Not since I started using AdBlocker plus,,,, guess I'll have to tale your word for it,,, the horror

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 06-28-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:00 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default In an interesting development .........

Banner ads all over this site. Is that good enough for ya?

It looks like their CS guy in New York booked, and everyone is tight lipped about it. Something is up.
Question ; Which formerly 4 page advertiser is missing from the November 2018 Model Aviation AMA magazine ?

Yep , you got it , not a hint of HK , Hextronix , or anything else 'King related ....
Old 10-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Dick T.

However they are listed as exhibitors (4 spaces) at the upcoming AMA West Expo in Pomona, CA. I plan to visit their booths being a long time customer.

https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...xhibitor-list/
Old 10-24-2018, 04:54 PM
scale only 4 me

Yeah,, maybe they realize the AMA rag is a bad investment, I haven't read it in years