Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Solve this analogy -

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:55 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Solve this analogy -

If Cox PT-19* : Carl Goldberg Falcon 56

Then X : your choice of E-trainer (e.g. Flyzone Sensei, Eflite Apprentice)

What is X?

*In reference to the C/L one of course!

Last edited by H5606; 10-24-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: changed "equals" to "colons"; underlining; clarification
Old 10-24-2018, 12:10 PM
MaxSouthoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apprentice.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The butler, in the parlor, with the candlestick.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:43 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sensei. It will become extinct like the PT-19 and the Falcon 56.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:41 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hands down the Falcon 56 would fly circles around all of them. I learned how to fly in the late 70s with a 1/2A ARF made by Pilot and COX Black Widow .049.It had barely enough power to take the airplane up so I switch to a Cox TD 049 and it was great but you couldn't do much with it so I built a Sig Kadet and that by is the best trainer out there. Michael
Old 10-27-2018, 04:37 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Peppermint , because Ice Cream has no bones ....
Old 10-28-2018, 06:12 AM
flyboy2610

12, because gorillas don't wear bikinis.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:14 PM
H5606

Yeah, but 7 8 9 - not like seven, eight, nine but rather seven ate nine.

So barnacles, because pigs can't whistle.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:53 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Is this thread a Limerick sample
The lines are too few, not ample
And the numbers don’t rhyme
I guess overtime
This Limerick gets a bit trampled

Old 11-02-2018, 07:15 AM
init4fun

Ah ha ! .... A poet don't ya know it , , yep , even his feet show it , , , , they're Longfellows !
Old 11-02-2018, 06:38 PM
flyboy2610

Originally Posted by init4fun
Ah ha ! .... A poet don't ya know it , , yep , even his feet show it , , , , they're Longfellows !
A horse walked into a bar.
The bartender asked "Hey, friend, why the long face?"
Old 11-06-2018, 06:38 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Falcon 56, if people today had to build one, they would never learn to fly. Easier to order Amazon prime, some foam jet RTF, take to the field, crash in 3.8 seconds, bash the Amazon and the manufacturer on social media. I still have my 35 year old Falcon 56 hangin in my garage, has the second worn out O.S. FP 35 in it. I was thinking of taking the piston out, attaching an E motor behind the engine and convert it to E power like the Retro ugly stick from Hobby King.

But I digress.

I was roasted, stabbed, lite on fire, wrapped in barbed wire, rolled down a hill, run over with a steam roller for saying this makes a pretty good trainer. How dare I say a scale airplane can be a trainer. I taught my brother in law with one, two other on mine. He spent time on the free FMS sim and on his 6th flight, he took off, flew around, landed. Toss in the flaps and this will land with almost no roll out with a 5mph head wind.

I also taught a club mate to fly on his beautiful Goldberg Super Chipmunk. No one else would even let him try to get stick time. Yes it took a lot longer than if he used a trainer. But he powered through, got more and more comfortable flying it. Actually learned to breath while flying. I think about 3 months and he did hi first take off. It is not really the plane, but the student.

Sim
https://modelsimulator.com/

Plane
https://www.motionrc.com/collections...0mm-dy8938-pnp

I have read these make good trainers, I have not used one so I don't really know.

Buzz.

P.S.
I am no good at Algebra nor am I worth a new penny at limericks.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:16 PM
H5606

Regarding post #1...

Based on assumption, the Cox PT-19 represents the introduction to model aviation for many in the past. I had one.
The Falcon 56 sticks out as the "go-to" trainer for the beginner in R/C based on the club I belonged to at the time since it had a semi-symmetrical airfoil - there may have been equal advice voiced for the flat-bottom wing, Sig Kadet or other popular trainers of the day like the Andrews H-Ray and even the under-cambered wing, M.E.N. Trainer.

What I was looking for is what "X" represents in today's world since there is no longer a control-line, Cox PT-19 geared to the general public. Perhaps its video gaming, or some Air Hog toy, or a quad-rotor, or a jump straight into the 4-channel trainer as mentioned - the Apprentice, Sensei, or some stability augmented foamy scale job or... nothing at all.

I'm comparing the Falcon 56 of yesteryear to the Sensei, Apprentice, or any other aircraft used as a trainer in today's world.

In other words, what is the "Cox PT-19" of today's world? That, then would be "X".

Last edited by H5606; 11-08-2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-08-2018, 09:05 AM
H5606

In other, other words - if a 50 year old, control-line Cox PT-19 was a stepping stone leading to a CG Falcon 56 as an R/C trainer 40 years ago, what is an equivalent stepping stone to - say an - E-flite Apprentice now-a-days?

I don't know.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:45 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
A horse walked into a bar.
The bartender asked "Hey, friend, why the long face?"
"Willllbur !" .... A Horse is a Horse of course of course , and no one can talk to a Horse of course , , ,

Originally Posted by H5606
In other, other words - if a 50 year old, control-line Cox PT-19 was a stepping stone leading to a CG Falcon 56 as an R/C trainer 40 years ago, what is an equivalent stepping stone to - say an - E-flite Apprentice now-a-days?

I don't know.
I think you nailed it with the Air Hogz , be they of the airplane , multirotor , or combination of the two configuration . Just as past generations were introduced to flying toys through the Cox PT-19 , bought at the local toystore by a parent as a birthday gift or perhaps as a reward for good grades in school , today's intro toys are the Air Hogz bought in the local Wallmart .

Last edited by init4fun; 11-08-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: correct fractured statement ...
Old 11-15-2018, 04:38 PM
H5606

Originally Posted by init4fun
I think you nailed it with the Air Hogz , be they of the airplane , multirotor , or combination of the two configuration . Just as past generations were introduced to flying toys through the Cox PT-19 , bought at the local toystore by a parent as a birthday gift or perhaps as a reward for good grades in school , today's intro toys are the Air Hogz bought in the local Wallmart .
I bought some of these Air Hogs toys a few years ago - if nothing more than the challenge to trim and fly when a local group of us used to get together to fly indoor R/C - but quickly lost interest in them. Performance isn't my issue here but there's absolutely no appeal at all - I get the impression that they resemble more of a flying contraption than airplane. A look at their website shows they're going more in that direction than ever before. What is wrong with airplanes these days? Why can't airplanes look like airplanes now-a-days? Are they regarded by the general populace as evil or taboo ever since 911? Does everything that appeals to the younger generation have to look like the latest sci-fi or superhero crapola coming out of Hollywood? Are airplanes really not considered cool or hip anymore? Geez, I sound like an old man.

Tarbender! Tarbender! Another bubble dourbon!
Old 11-22-2018, 01:23 PM
H5606

On the other hand, the Cox PT-19 and related control-line airplanes of the era resembled the actual piloted airplanes they represented and sometimes included a brief history of the subject in the instruction manual. The owner could later relate to newly formed knowledge in other media they came across. Can't help but think something so simple as control line with the mechanical, single movable control surface or even rubber-powered free-flight with associated trimming demands can teach so much more concerning aviating than what is available as toys to introduce someone new to the hobby today.

How do youngsters - without exposure from other sources - even know that model aviation exists?