Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Turbocharging a Nitro 4 Stroke engine?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Turbocharging a Nitro 4 Stroke engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:12 PM
Rizentral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Turbocharging a Nitro 4 Stroke engine?

Hey guys! I've been out of the hobby for a few years and recently picked up a nitro RC. This got me thinking...

What are your thoughts on turbocharging a Saito FA-40a 4 stroke glow engine? Is it possible? I've been researching turbocharging on fullscale vehicles and theoretically it should transfer to smaller nitro engines. As long as you hooked up a servo to the HSP to richen the mixture as boost increases, everything should run properly. Currently looking into designs and who to request a miniature machined turbo from.

Also, I realize the FA-40a is an airplane engine so cooling could cause an issue on a car, but I've seen a few threads and videos where people adapt these engines to work in land vehicles.

Do you guys have any input?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rizentral
Hey guys! I've been out of the hobby for a few years and recently picked up a nitro RC. This got me thinking...

What are your thoughts on turbocharging a Saito FA-40a 4 stroke glow engine? Is it possible? I've been researching turbocharging on fullscale vehicles and theoretically it should transfer to smaller nitro engines. As long as you hooked up a servo to the HSP to richen the mixture as boost increases, everything should run properly. Currently looking into designs and who to request a miniature machined turbo from.

Also, I realize the FA-40a is an airplane engine so cooling could cause an issue on a car, but I've seen a few threads and videos where people adapt these engines to work in land vehicles.

Do you guys have any input?
I all my reading I've not yet seen a tiny turbo fit to a model engine , but I have seen a tiny belt driven supercharger that may have even been a kit to add on to an engine (can't remember the exact particulars but I did read about the supercharger in one of these RC forums) . If you do end up getting it to work you could set up a fan & some ducts to cool the engine , my question being that if this is for an RC car why wouldn't you just pick an equivalent sized RC car engine and try to turbocharge that ?
Old 12-02-2018, 02:48 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There was some guy on this site, https://www.rctech.net who modified an OS26 4cyle engine and was running it in some off road car.just do a search there . A few years back OS Max had a 1.20 supercharged four cycle engine but its been discontinued. I really don't think you will see much of a gain trying to do this as these engines put out about half the Hp of the same size in a 2 cycle glow engine. If you have an RC car that takes a .21 engine upgrade to a 28 or 32 but be sure your drive train can handle the power plus you might have trouble getting it to fit!
good luck
Michael Johnston
Old 12-03-2018, 07:12 AM
BalsaGhost

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to imagine a turbo scaling down enough to work with a glow engine. And I doubt you'd get to hear the sweet whistle even if it would occur.

Now a mini nitrous bottle for that unlimited climb, possibly feasible!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Rizentral

Originally Posted by BalsaGhost
Hard to imagine a turbo scaling down enough to work with a glow engine. And I doubt you'd get to hear the sweet whistle even if it would occur.

Now a mini nitrous bottle for that unlimited climb, possibly feasible!
May get a .40 or .62 for my plane, you're giving me ideas
Old 12-06-2018, 01:34 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Could always use a YS, they are Supercharged.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 PM
RacerX9623

I have spent a long time working with a 250cc motorcycle engine . I use it for landspeed racing with nitrous. I have turbocharged them using the smallest turbo available and was not thrilled with the results. Valve springs are one problem I ran into after over coming a number of others.
My first thought is lubrication of the turbo. Simple pump, tank and lines. But that will be needed. Next is making a turbo small enough to work and able to spin at the required rate to produce boost. This would be a big project. Totally possible but the weight and other factors make it questionable over bigger engine or more nitro.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:44 PM
Jerry K
My Feedback: (1)

There is no replacement for displacement. Unless you are a hobbyist and your hobby is building motors, which some are. JUST get a bigger motor(Engine)