The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Is anybody out there?

Old 03-15-2019, 07:50 AM
piroflip2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Is anybody out there?

hi guys

at the risk of seeming hypocritical (as I've been away for a few years myself) this once buzzing forum appears to have gone rather quiet.

when I was here regularly a few years ago there were hundreds of daily posts.

where is everybody?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I`ve only been here since 2017, but usually check in once a day. Not a proliferate poster, though. Welcome back!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM
bingo field

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Welcome back!
Seems a lot has changed in a few years. I still maintain my runway, but I haven't flown in a couple of years. Lots of lamenting the demise of kits and kit building, Changing trends from wet fuel to electric. I still come here daily, but as my hands on activity has decreased, my posting has decreased also. My job has changed a quite a bit, and I am figuring out how to recover a bunch of lost time, but a lot of home maintenance backed up and is getting in the way. Lots of people would post about their most recent experience with ____ and there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of new gear people are enthusiastic about like before. I look at it like the stock market, if you are in it for a while, it will always have it's ups and downs. (Didn't want to use the term "Crash")
Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 AM
rgburrill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look at the forum. The new owners have changed the format that most "threads" are now repeats of the marketplace. Luckily this thread got through. Mist of us have gone to rcg
Old 03-15-2019, 11:58 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if you have not noticed the rc hobby has been in decline for a few years now, how long it will last before rebounding is anyone's guess.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This thread is pretty active, but Waco is right, once us old greybeards have gone our flying fields will be silent. old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 03-15-2019, 07:05 PM
J330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Taking care of an elderly parent for the past year and counting, no time to fly, not much time to post, but a closet full of glow fuel, a storage bin of engines, and shelves of unbuilt kits await that day I retire, and when the nurse covers for me, I can head to the flying field again mid-week.
I liked this forum for the classifieds. But with shipping rates so high today and certainly worse tomorrow, I can't unload, trade, or buy anything it seems anymore without making USPS rich in the process.

As far as my opinion of RCG;
It's got a few sections worthy of reading, but overall,
it's mostly a cesspool of misfits and contains a vast trader talk library of horrible deals gone south.
Most of the trader talk regulars there are worthless degenerates with social issues combined with emotional insecurities, who literally spent upwards of 10,000-15,000 posts only to insult or act superior to other members there, members who have the hobby in common with them. This is supposed to be fun, right?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 PM
egldriver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

plus one with bingo and 330.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:24 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Look at the forum. The new owners have changed the format that most "threads" are now repeats of the marketplace. Luckily this thread got through. Mist of us have gone to rcg
What he said. Used to be here at least daily. Now maybe once a month.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:21 AM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by piroflip2 View Post
hi guys

at the risk of seeming hypocritical (as I've been away for a few years myself) this once buzzing forum appears to have gone rather quiet.

when I was here regularly a few years ago there were hundreds of daily posts.

where is everybody?
Maybe this is why.
Growth: Whose responsiblity is it?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Stikum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After being active in R/C for 22 years, I got out of the hobby seven years ago Recently, I decided to return. Did some shopping and bought a couple old favorites, renewed my AMA, then went to the flying field. You think it's quiet HERE.....when I got out of the hobby, there were always a dozen or more people at the field on any Saturday afternoon. Mostly glow models, gassers were really catching on, a few foamies, and at least half the pilots built kits. Now four is a crowd, mostly electric scale foamies, and no kit builders. I didn't even unload - just came home and sold what I could, gave the rest to a retired friend who still flies.

Between foamies, drones, societal trends, and governmental regulations, the hobby has changed so much that it's lost all attraction to me.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:32 AM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to see you leave the hobby. I guess if it eventually just comes down to electric foamies, I`ll hang in there just `cause I love flying R/C.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 AM
Stikum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since my days of Cox .049s (1970ish) I have loved internal combustion - both glow and gas. When I got out in 2012, I had over 60 engines on hand, from .051 to 50cc. Just where my passion lies.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:38 PM
E-Challenged

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I spend a lot of time on RCG and enjoy sharing my build threads and imparting some of my "vast knowledge and experience" to beginners and retreads who are returning to the hobby and trying to understand electric power lore. There are some self-important jerks but you need to ignore them. I may try some IC power again but at 80 years old with two knee joint replacements I am not able to retrieve "flamed-out" IC models quickly enough to clear the field for others. I can normally take off, fly around in big racetrack patterns, do some loops and rolls and other maneuvers I can't name, for 5 to 10 minutes, then land and taxi back to the pits with few problems, with my small to medium sized stick-built and foamie scale models. There are still a lot of builder's models available in short kit form from Manzano Laser Works., Brodak and smaller "cottage" model producers There a lot of large impressive foam -based electric powered warbird bird models that can sometimes fly lots better than a balsa and ply model you might build. The $600+ price tag, plus shipping, is not bad when you consider the cost of a kit, a motor or engine, speed control, RC gear, retracts, servos, covering and finishing materials. You can modify such models with your own graphics, etc. Gone are the olde tyme Hobby Shops where the shop owner was an avid modeler and was somehow able to keep a complete inventory of every thing you might want or need and stay in business. If you have a love of aircraft and aviation history and enjoy flying models with some like minded people, you can still download plans and scratch build your favorite designs or buy almost ready to fly foamies. Do both, like I do!!!
Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 AM
pyrobus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rcu

This site has poor management. Its is much nicer at rcg.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
scottrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by pyrobus View Post
This site has poor management. Its is much nicer at rcg.
Oh that place where you need to have the correct political beliefs and the maturity of a six year old?

RCU is still a lot more civil.

And as of late, RCG has been having technical difficulties.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
Stikum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't feed the trolls.....