Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

NooBee Question

Old 12-02-2019, 07:42 PM
azeinstein

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default NooBee Question

I know this is probably like asking what is you favorite color but as a novice I am looking for some knowledge from the experts. I would like to get started with some BNF planes and would appreciate some knowledge on what would be a good radio to use, I would probably start with a used one so I'm looking in the classifieds but the prices have a huge span. TIA
Old 12-03-2019, 06:01 AM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by azeinstein View Post
I know this is probably like asking what is you favorite color but as a novice I am looking for some knowledge from the experts. I would like to get started with some BNF planes and would appreciate some knowledge on what would be a good radio to use, I would probably start with a used one so I'm looking in the classifieds but the prices have a huge span. TIA
Since BNF (Bind-N-Fly) is a registered Spektrum trademark , I'd say you'll be looking at Spektrum RC equipment if BNF is what your after .

PS , since you say you are NEWBIE (no such thing in this hobby as a "NooBee") I will STRONGLY suggest you get with an instructor so you'll have a hope & a prayer of getting more than half a flight with each plane you buy till all the common newbie mistakes have been made and your plane been saved from them by your instructor .

Club/instructor route ? Ultimately cheaper than the self taught learning curve of several smashed up planes .

Mastering the hobby with one instructor and the SAME RC airplane from beginner to intermediate flyer , , , , PRICELESS !!!!

Old 12-03-2019, 05:00 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will strongly advise against buying a used radio. It's pretty rare that someone buys a radio they don't really want and then resells it in like new condition. It's common that people have an unexplained crash or two or keep getting failsafes and decide to dump their radio in the classifieds. Sure, there are guys who upgrade from 7 to 10 channels or whatever, which can get you a good buy on a good radio. But without a beater plane to really check out the reliability, you won't really know what you have.
If you want to stick with bind and fly, I'll suggest skipping the 6 channel and going for the features of the Spektrum DX7. But I'll also say that BnF is really only a significant concern on the micro stuff where the receiver, esc, and stability system are all the same board. If you can plug in a lamp, you can install a receiver. In that case, consider the FRSky Taranis as an inexpensive but overall reliable radio. If you budget allows and you want something better, Futaba is hard to beat.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:13 AM
carlgrover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Used radios are bad ju ju. I would get a new one.

carl