Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

next plane after 4* ?

Old 01-17-2003, 06:18 PM
sandal-rca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default next plane after 4* ?

What would be a good plane after the 4*40/Irvine .53? I'm looking for a semi-scale aerobatic plane for scale aerobatics, but not 3D or unlimited vertical. The engine will be my OS FS-52S. The Great Planes Cap 232, Extra 300S and Ultimate Biplane look interesting. The question is; am I ready to try one of those planes, or should I go through a few more low wing airplanes first? I fly the 4*40 with confidence and can do the basic aerobatics, but I have read several places that the 4* is VERY easy to fly. Is the step up to a Cap or Ultimate too big?

T
Old 01-17-2003, 10:32 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It's tough to tell without seeing you fly. I went from a SuperSportster to an Extra 300. It did not cost me the plane,but there was an adjustment period. You should be OK with the Extra or Cap, just have some help close buy and start on low rates. The bipe is an awsome flyer but the singe wing craft are easyer to land.
later daveo
Old 01-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The short list of second planes is good... but be certain to have the c.g. forward of the aft limit on the plans, if it's noted that way.
And dual rates are mandatory.
A tad nose-heavy and reduced sensitivity controls will help you thru the scary first flights.
These things CAN snap without warning! Practice fast landings with the 4*.. you can't float a more heavily loaded aerobat to a landing the way the 4* will permit.
It's very common to try to land the faster/heavier plane at the speed you've become accustomed with the lighter plane. It won't work!
My SIG Ultimate Bipe drops like a rock power off or dead stick. The GP Ultimate might be more forgiving, but be cautious until you get the feel of it.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:20 AM
sandal-rca

I think I'm leaning towards the GP CAP 232. (BTW is it C.A.P. or "cap"?)

I have a Hitec Flash 5X (dual rates and expo), so I'll be able to use two sets of control throws. I don't like expo though, I find it difficult to relate the stick movement to the control surface deflection. I always end up with too much or too little.

What do you think about using the FS-52S? Is it enough for scale/sport flying? I am not going to take part in competitions.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:33 AM
sandal-rca

swooper;
Thanks! I forgot to mention that I want a kit (not ARF). Otherwise the Fun-Key planes would have been "on my list".

I am looking for an airplane that needs a little more power than the 4*40. I noticed when I flew the 4* with the FS-52S that it didn't sound very scale-like at half throttle and below. The ideal plane for me would be a plane where I have to push the stick well forward to keep it flying, but still being able to do scale aerobatics. With this in mind, a plane that calls for a .52-.70 4-stroke would be the right thing...?

T
Old 01-19-2003, 11:30 PM
Enriki

Do your self a favor, and build a Sig Something Extra, read a lot of threads on this bird. You will not be disapointed with the easy build using the lazor cut parts supplied in the kit. Engine choice from a TT.46 to a .72 Saito depending how brave you are, many think this is the best all around size 40 bird there is out there for pure fun.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:39 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Ditto.. Sig's somethin Extra!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:13 PM
rekitrick

Sandal; I'm not sure what plane to tell you pick. If you set it up forgiving on the controls you should be alright on you first flights. As for the engine not sounding right in solw flight try proping down the pitch and upping the diamater. This will give you more rpm's with less speed plus better pull through the abrobatics. It would be better if you have access to a tack to make sure your not over reving engine at full stick. the lower pitch will also help in the arobatics. Treat it like a trainer, have you buddy with you till your confortable with the plane then adjust it for more sensitive flight. 98% of flying a plane is knowing the thing will do what you tell it to and the only you get that is go fly it.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:18 PM
sandal-rca

Thanks!

I have heard mostly good things about the Sig SE, but I am not convinced. I have never seen one fly, but from what I have read I would think that it flies more like a Dazzler than a GP Extra...?

...I'm not too good at explaining things, and it is even more difficult in English. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm not looking for a plane capable of slow flight. My reason for using one of the smaller recommended engine sizes is sound and scale realism, and the fact that I own a .52 four stroke. But if I can get the same sound with a larger dia/lower pitch prop I'll try that. Again, I have never seen one of these airplanes fly, but I think the SE with its thick wing would have a lower top speed than the GP Extra with the thinner wing. It might sound like I'm going in different directions, but I want a plane that is capable of going reasonably fast, but: I want to use my FS-52S, which is at the low end of the scale for most .40 sized planes.

So I thought the GP CAP 232 could be a plane to consider. Faster than the 4*40 and with a fully symmetrical wing, and it looks like the real one. But if you think the Sig SE would be a better choice, I might give it a try. The 4*40 kit was the best kit I've built, and I'm more than happy to buy another Sig kit.

I don't think there are any "Extra-type-airplane" pilots in my club, so I'll have to do this on my own. The most important thing is that the step up from the 4* isn't too big.

T
Old 01-27-2003, 12:45 PM
dr_wogz

the plane can do almost any manoever in the book.

we have a few vedows on our site : www.aerotech-rc.com just click on the galelry. We have a few at our feild, and one flyer who KNOWS this plane! IMHO, the design is loosely based on the Extra, hence the name 'Something Extra'..
Old 01-27-2003, 04:33 PM
sandal-rca

I have read a lot about the Sig Somethin' Extra during the last few days. I might be missing something, but Model Airplane News lists the plane as "sport/fun fly", and other articles I have read also calls the SE a fun-fly type airplane.

Enriki & Dr. Wogz;
You recommend the SE for scale aerobatics. Is the SE a fun-fly plane or a semi-scale aerobatic plane, and will it do scale aerobatics that look good?

T
Old 01-27-2003, 07:14 PM
daveopam

The SE is a fun fly type plane. It is not scale at all. The engine bay is open on top and front. It is a great flyer
but will not knife edge very well.If you want a scale plane stick with the CAP. The tail moment is to
short on the SE to do good pattern flying.
later daveo
Old 01-27-2003, 10:42 PM
dr_wogz

It's a great all around perfomer. No, not a scale plane, but it is capable of the manoeuvers. Yes, it is a bit weak on the 'knife edge, but most do add a bit more to the rudder.

I would say go with teh SE, becasue it is cheap, easy to build, flys amazing well, and is a great third plane. Even second for some! The few pilots at our feild who have teh extras and caps, and BIg giles, all have a Somthin' extra. Something for the days when you don't want to risk the $$ bird.

Apart from that, go with Daveo..
Old 01-28-2003, 09:33 AM
sandal-rca

Thanks!

It seems the Somethin' Extra is not the plane I want for scale aerobatics, but the result of this is that I just HAVE TO have one sooner or later. Right now I feel like just before I bought the 4*40. I had read a lot about it, and was desperate to fly one, and I was not disappointed.

I have a Cub on the building table right now, so the scale aerobatics can probably wait while I build the SE. This stuff is addictive... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

T
Old 01-28-2003, 04:04 PM
daveopam

Sandal you will love the SE, it flyes great. Think about putting your .52 in the CUB and getting a SAITO .72 for the SE. You wont be dissapointed. later daveo
Old 01-28-2003, 06:48 PM
sandal-rca

52 four stroke in a .20 size Cub - interesting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I just bought a brand new ASP FS30 for the Cub, that ought to do the job nicely.

If I buy an SE, I think I'll let it have the Irvine 53 and put the OS FS-52S in the 4*. (I like four strokes better, so I should probably buy another one and sell the Irvine. But the Irvine is a great engine.)

Saitos are rather expensive in Norway, and I've heard that they need a lot of nitro. Is this correct? I don't want to buy an engine that won't run well on 0-5% nitro. It says in the JP catalogue that SC engines (same as ASP/Magnum) are designed to run on "little or no nitro". (I haven't started my new ASP yet, so this is "theoretical information").

T
Old 01-29-2003, 06:00 PM
daveopam

Sorry, I thought you had a .40 size Cub. Your plan sounds great. I dont know about the amount of nitro.
I run 15% in my Saito .72. Most guys here run 10 or 15%. Some even run 20% heli fuel. Why are they
more exspensive there ? Is the exchange rate higher? I just got one last week for $229.
later daveo
Old 01-31-2003, 12:16 PM
sandal-rca

daveo;
I checked the prices today, and Saitos are not as expensive as I thought. They cost slightly more than OS. But fuel is another story. 4 gallons 5% nitro - 580 NOK, 10% - 810 NOK, 15% - 880 NOK (example). Being able to run 5% nitro or less saves me some money... My Irvine .53 runs straight fuel with 18% castor. It idles well and has plenty of power, at 450 NOK @ 4 gallons.

Don't misunderstand - I'm not fanatic about saving $50 a year, but I like low nitro fuel. Less corrosion, lower fuel consumption and lower price are more important to me than the power gain from using 15% nitro. But if I buy an engine that needs 15%, I'll use 15%.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
T
Old 02-24-2003, 11:05 PM
Postal FLyer

Default Hammer Time

Have you ever heard of the Davey Systems/ Champion Hammer .40? Very slick Plane. Not so much scale but it has a lot of Pattern characterists build in and with a good engine it is capable of doing almost anything you want. I have some pics if you want to see one.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:28 PM
cubflipper02
Banned

Default Hammer Time

How about a house of balsa extra 300?I flew the snot out of one with a super tiger .45.Its a great plane,not 3d capable but still fun.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:35 AM
Flightle

Default SIG SE

Hey man.... that SIG Somethin Extra was reviewed either on this site or on R/C Modeler Magazine very recently. Check RcAirport's featured reviews... I believe it is in there. Hell, I'm even interested in jumping on the bandwagon.

-Forest