Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Women flyers in your club?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Women flyers in your club?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 10:24 AM
awhobbies
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Women flyers in your club?

Hi,

My dad has been building and flying RC models for 40 years and I recently began filming his 495th Squadron Fun Fly events. I didn't realize how much fun and enjoyment everybody gets out of this hobby!

I'm thinking of learning to fly, but there's NO women flyers in his club. Just curious as to if there's any women flyers in any of your clubs? I am guessing that only a very low percentage of RC model flyers are women.

It might be fun being the only woman in an all-men club, but I'll be mortified if/when I crack a plane up in front of everyone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Peg
Old 01-22-2003, 10:49 AM
< MZ >

Just go for it..
Wish I could get my GF to the field.

But you're right, there aren't many women flyers. Time for a change I'd say :-)

Good luck & safe landings,
Maarten
Old 01-22-2003, 11:08 AM
b1rd37

Do not worry about crashing in front of the guys, you will find you will get help from the experienced flyers. This, for the most part, is a verry frindly hobby. You and any one else, male or female, can expet help along the way. most clubs would be verry happy to welcome a lady flyer.

Don't worry about crashing, you will! There are only two kinds of model airplanes, those that have crashed and those that will.
Good luck
Jerry
Old 01-22-2003, 11:44 AM
FHHuber
Banned

We've got 2 women members and a couple of teenage girl trainees who show up occasionally. The women are better pilots than most of the guys...

From my experiences... Women seem to have an easier time learning than guys. They tend to listen to the instructor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] And they tend to be gentler with the sticks. ( A MAJOR help in learning)

Go out and take a few lessons. If your dad will let you use some of his equipment... it won't cost much to try it out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

You may find it very enjoyable... you may find you don't have a lot of interest. (You might even solo in 2 or 3 flights and have the guys that have been training for 6 months to 2 years wonder how you did it... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )
Old 01-22-2003, 12:40 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

While some do consider it 'the boys club' or the time to spend with the boys. Women are always welcome at our feild. In fact, wives get a free membership! All they have to do is pay their insurance, and be wiling to crash, er, fly!

In fact, I'm building a trainer for my girl right now, and this summer,. she will be teh only female on the flight line.

She's been to the feild a bunch of times, and think it is really neat! She loves the two Nieuports we have at teh feld, loves the fact that the pilots are Ken dolls!!

We've also had a few 'Mom & Son' duos at the feild!

Go for it!! show the guys up!
Old 01-22-2003, 01:34 PM
G.F. Reid

There are two that I know of in my club. One is very active and is married to one of the club officers. She is a very proficient pilot. I've never seen her crash and quite frankly, that's more than she could say of me... The other is much younger at about 18 y.o. and comes out with her Dad. She has soloed and is progressing very well.
Absolutely, go for it. You'll love it.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:55 PM
awhobbies

Aww, you guys are alright [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

During the last Fun Fly they had newbies try out flying using a "buddy box." I'm sure you all know what that is so maybe I'll start out that way, getting a feel for it. It really does look like a great hobby but it was painful to film when someone botched a landing and in just seconds there goes months worth of hard work building the plane. Ouch.

My dad mentioned the trickiest part is learning how to put your mind in switched mode when the plane is facing you, as the controls are then in opposite mode. He's had trouble with that over the past few years (he's 73 now) so he rigged something up on his radio where the controls don't have to be switched. (Sorry dad, guess your secret is out......) But I wouldn't want to learn that way as I would never then be able to use a normal control. (I'm using his account to post so I hope he doesn't see this!!) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Peg

==============
George
My Personal Airplane Page: http://www.awhobbies.com/george
==============

Old 01-22-2003, 04:02 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Simplest trick to prevent control reversal confusion... keep your body pointed like tghe plane, swivel your head to look over your shoulder when its comming at you. The controls are natural then. No reversal problems at all.

After you get some proficiency, you won't need that trick, but it sure helps beginners.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:32 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LEAVE THE WOMEN AT HOME TO CLEAN THE BUILDING SHOP-I.E. SWEEPING AND DUSTING THE BALSA DUST-
Old 01-23-2003, 09:50 AM
G.F. Reid

And of course....you'll run into that type from time to time. It'll probably be in about the same ratio as in this thread though, so take heart.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:18 AM
awhobbies

That kind of stuff slides right off my back. I recognize that people who love to incite are everywhere in life. I've found that simply ignoring them does the trick, for it deprives them of the attention they so desperately want.

So as soon as all this snow and artic weather is gone, I'll be learning to fly!

Peg

==============
George
My Personal Airplane Page: http://www.awhobbies.com/george
==============
Old 01-23-2003, 07:13 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't this a great hobby? Peg you missed a spot!!!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Damnathius

Although I'm relatively new to our club, I've seen two or three women flying at the field.

I'm not sure what it is, but I think generally speaking, aircraft and flying just aren't "women things". This is not to be chauvanistic, but just an observation. I'm surprised I can't get my wife out to fly, as she is really kind of a tomboy, and has more power and hand tools than I do! She's just convinced that she WILL crash, buddy box or not. Oh well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now if I were to build her an R/C SR-71 it might be a different story!
Old 01-24-2003, 03:56 PM
awhobbies

<hr>Peg you missed a spot!!!!! <hr>

Well darn! And these balsa shavings just don't do a thing for my hair either....... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

==============
George
My Personal Airplane Page
==============
Old 01-28-2003, 08:54 AM
swampthing

Hay Guys and Gals,well this doesn,t have anything to do with flying but I can say from 30 yrs of Big Game fishing as a professional fishing Captain that women make better anglers than men.I have won many big tournaments with women anglers and if I had my choise I would much rather fish women than men!! They have a lighter feel for the tackle and they DO listen better than Men. Men don,t like to be told how to fish,they all want to rip the lips off the fish and when it weights five or six hundred pounds you need to know how to use the tackle and and boat,not so much mussle!! I have had women that weigh only 120lbs catch fish over 600lbs. I have been beaten in tournaments by women anglers. My point Peg,you go for it girl,if anyone tells you different you tell them to call me,I will set them straite...keep,er wheels up!!!.........Swampthing
Old 01-28-2003, 09:52 AM
b1rd37

How about wemon in competitive high power target shooting. In the 70's, 80's, and 90's I shot many rifle matches with lady shooters. Most of them out shot me most of the time.
Speaking of balsa shavings in you'r hair, one of the ladies told the story about a trip to a out of town beauty shop and when the beautician ask how she wonted her bangs cut she replied, I like them short enough to keep them out of my rifle sights.

Jerry
Old 01-28-2003, 08:16 PM
swampthing

Hay Jerry,you are very close to where I live,in Blairsville! I have been looking for someone close to me to fly with.We don,t have a club or even a place to fly here.If you don,t mind e-mail me,I would like to talk to [email protected]...... .Swampthing
Old 02-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Bill L

Default Women FLYERS IN YOUR CLUB

About as rare as men sewers at a quilting bee! BUT THEY ARE OUT THERE! My wife sits in the motorhome at a flying field I'm visiting, or at a swap meet, or even at the AMA headquarters flying site, and sews. I really admire her work, and she listens to my flying stories. But she shows me magazine articles of men quilters, and Men quilters show up on the TV shows she watches. It is interesting to listen to them talk about sewing, because it is a different perspective than I hear from the women on the show, or from my wife. At a flying field where there is a woman pilot, She also is interesting to listen to because of her perspective on flying. BALANCE, not just "man stuff" "women stuff". That's why we are what we are. ENJOY!
Bill
Old 02-05-2003, 02:06 PM
FrankC29

Default Women FLYERS IN YOUR CLUB

I have tried on a few occasions to spark some female interest in this hobby. I always fail, even with my wife who would have to do nothing but show up and hold the transmitter. Women, as a whole, do not like our hobby, a few exceptions aside. It's odd, because women have a large presense and tradition of involvement in full scale flight. This does not translate to R/C. I have been to about 7 different fields and have yet to even SEE a woman flying. Even women sitting in lawn shairs watching their husbands is rather rare, it usually bores them to tears. This has been my experience. There just must be something about it that repels the majority of them, especially the young ones, that's why it's nice to see a post like this.