Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

I had a really rotten day.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I had a really rotten day.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 01:55 AM
Hawkeye
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had a really rotten day.

Fellow RCU members,
Three weeks ago, April 7th, was one of my worst days ever. I didn't crash anything, I didn't make two left fuselage sides. In fact I didn't even go to the flying field. Sitting at home on a Sunday afternoon I get a phone call from the place I rent garage space. I keep some household furniture and stuff stored there, I have my milling machine and lathe there. I have just about all my R/C plane,kits and building stuff there. Well it turns out that a fire started in my friends unit which is attached to mine. He has all his sailboat stuff and woodworking shop there. A light bulb started some seat cushions and life preservers in the rafter area and quickly spread. Luckily he was not inside at the time and he was able to call the fire department. When it was over, he lost everything, ( except the boat which was outside) I lost almost everything. One new engine made it with no damage. That was the only thing that had no damage. A few of my tools are usable but they have either smoke or water damage.
In all, this is what went up in smoke that day:

Furniture and a bunch of my kids toys & books.
Lots of household stuff.
Lathe, Milling machine and associated tools.
Tool boxes, precision tools.
Three built airplanes.
Field box.
Eleven NIB kits, about half of them no longer in production.
All kit building supplies, monokote, etc.
About two dozen plans, mostly scale planes.
About 6 years worth of model and woodworking magazines.
About twenty Texaco collectible airplane banks, half of them were for my son.
Collectibles that belonged to my wife.

We were in the process of moving to a new house and moved some of the kids toys there earlier in the week. My daughter was very upset about her things that were lost.
Altogether the total works out to about thirty thousand dollars. Insurance should cover most of it except of course the things our family had that cannot be replaced.
When we finish getting into the new house, I'll start to replace what I can. A club member gave me an old trainer, I'll get an engine & radio for it. Then I'll start building something new to fly.
Thanks for listening,
Steve Holby :disappoin
Old 04-30-2002, 03:50 AM
Jazzy

Sorry to hear of your loss Steve. I think I would cry.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2002, 04:01 AM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Thats so rotten I KNOW I would cry.
Real sorry for your loss. I wish you Good luck with replacement
Old 04-30-2002, 11:36 AM
Unstable

if you want I have an old 4 channel TX that I can sell ya real cheap... futaba skysport 4 .. to help you get in the air. dont have any spare servos or RXs sorry

come on guys...im sure we have some old stuff lying around for him. lets help him get back in the air

e-mail me if you want it.
[email protected]
Old 04-30-2002, 02:21 PM
greg-RCU

I almost cried just reading his post! 11 NIB kits ! ARRRGGHHH~~
Well. Sholby- Think of all the fun your gonna have spending that insurance money .
Old 04-30-2002, 02:48 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JR AM Tranny and Receiver

Sholby, pay shipping (5 bucks) and you can have my JR Max AM 4 channel transmitter with receiver and all crystals.
Let me know. I don't know if it is wide or narrow but works great and never had a problem at the field with it. I have an 8103 now and don't need it. Let me now.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:14 AM
Jazzy

Come to think of it, I have a Futaba Conquest 4 chnl radio on channel 56 I could easily part with. (The batts are still good.) The reciever would take some coaxing though...

Jeff