Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Is a person who turns their radio on without the pin responsible for the cost of the crashed model?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
62.59%
No
37.41%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Is a person who turns their radio on without the pin responsible for the cost of the crashed model?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 04:33 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is a person who turns their radio on without the pin responsible for the cost of the crashed model?

Let's see where we, as modelers, stand........

Assume these facts:

1. Your club has frequency control and requires a pin or clip before turning your radio on
2. You are flying your airplane and have the correct pin in your possession.
3. Another person turns their radio on and causes your airplane to crash

Is the person who turns their radio on without the pin (clip) responsible for the cost of the crashed model?

Edit I took the qualifier out of #3 entirely to avoid bias.....Edit
Old 10-16-2003, 04:39 PM
danny03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is a person who turns their radio on without the pin responsible for the cost of the crashed model?

If the turn on was truly an accident, then I would have to say no, However if the individual has a habit of not following club safety procedures, Then YES BY ALL MEANS they should be responsible.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:45 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Is a person who turns their radio on without the pin responsible for the cost of the crashed model?

ORIGINAL: sideshow

Let's see where we, as modelers, stand........

Assume these facts:

1. Your club has frequency control and requires a pin or clip before turning your radio on
2. You are flying your airplane and have the correct pin in your possession.
3. Another person accidentally turns their radio on and causes your airplane to crash

Is the person who turns their radio on without the pin (clip) responsible for the cost of the crashed model?
I think you meant to say

3. A person negligently turns their radio on and causes your airplane to crash.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:49 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, or at least responsible to make some other arrangement with the owner of the shot-down plane.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:54 PM
hiramboesky

The answer to this question seems to be elusive for some of you.

I voted no because your poll leaves no "wiggle room". There are always mitigating circumstances, and I'd like to judge on a case by case basis.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:00 PM
The_Matrix

If you do not have the Freq Pin, it is in someone else's possesion, they are flying, you turn your radio on, cause them to crash. Then you should be held responsible. Atleast that is the guidelines my club uses, and all the members agree with it. From day one at our club, you are told to always get your Freq Tag, before turning on any equipment. I always make it habit to do so before even unloading my gear, even If I am the only one at the field. So I say yes, you should be held responsible if you turn your Radio on without Freq Tag in your possession and cause another plane using that Freq to crash. Might sound stupid, but try to look at your TX as a loaded gun when at the field, and the Freq Tag is the Safety. If you pull thr trigger with the Safety on, everyone should be safe. With safety off, you just may shoot someone.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:01 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: hiramboesky

The answer to this question seems to be elusive for some of you.

I voted no because your poll leaves no "wiggle room". There are always mitigating circumstances, and I'd like to judge on a case by case basis.
What "wiggle room" do you see is needed. Either they turned on with the pin, or without it.

Would prefer he puts in a third option to account for turning on with half of the pin?
Old 10-16-2003, 05:02 PM
Arebeck
My Feedback: (2)

Yes they are. If you have a frequency control board there is no wiggle room. It a simple case of right and wrong. If you are wrong your wrong- no if's, and's or but's.

If you allow a person one honest mistake - why not two or three - they didn't mean to do it!!

We all need to be responsible for our actions-right or wrong!!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:03 PM
P-51B

I would like to see this poll get made into a "sticky thread" so people in all the aircraft forums can see it.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:05 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is very cut and dry. There is no mistaking! If you don't have the pin and you shoot someone down, you should pay for the plane or at least offer. There is no other way to look at it!

You don't accidentally turn on a radio. You do it with the full intention to turn it on. If you don't have a clip, it is not an accident, it is a blatent act that can be avoided.

I can't believe you needed another poll to even ask. If you get the clip before you turn on, you won't have a problem. End of story.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:12 PM
jvolkes

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

It is very cut and dry. There is no mistaking! If you don't have the pin and you shoot someone down, you should pay for the plane or at least offer. There is no other way to look at it!

You don't accidentally turn on a radio. You do it with the full intention to turn it on. If you don't have a clip, it is not an accident, it is a blatent act that can be avoided.

I can't believe you needed another poll to even ask. If you get the clip before you turn on, you won't have a problem. End of story.

If a person shoots somebody dead with a gun, are they innocent or guilty?

YES or NO?

Well let me see....
The person could be a soldier...
The person could be under attack...
The person could be a murderer..
The person could be a state executioner...

Your poll question is biased. It's not a 'Yes" or "No" issue.....
Old 10-16-2003, 05:17 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: jvolkes

YES or NO?

Well let me see....

That's just STUPID

Was the airplane breaking and entering to your house when you turned on your radio?

Was the plane trying to kill you, so you turned on your radio?

Was the plane ordered to execute you, so you turned on your radio?

Was the airplane a member of the Taliban, so you turned on your radio?

The question is a "Yes" or "No" issue.

Reason for edit...to add the color also!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:17 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Most clubs have it in their rules that you must have the pin before turning on and the person that does is responsible for any damage. I know my club does and has for over twenty-five years.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:23 PM
FLYBOY

YES or NO?

Well let me see....

Keep that sense of humor. You'll need it.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:29 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: P-51B

YES or NO?

Well let me see....

That's just stupid.[/size]

Was the airplane breaking and entering to your house when you turned on your radio?

Was the plane trying to kill you, so you turned on your radio?

Was the plane ordered to execute you, so you turned on your radio?

Was the airplane a member of the Taliban, so you turned on your radio?[/size]

The question is a "Yes" or "No" issue.

Reason for edit...to add the color also!
P51, you're wayyyyyyyyyy out of line. I see jvalks point exactly. This poll needs a third line for those of us that want to hear the circumstances under which the accidental shoot down occurred.

Accidents happen at the field, and this isn't a black and white issue. It isn't YES or NO, but YES, NO, and DEPENDS ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES. What are the circumstances? Did the pin get knocked of the board by accident. Did someone remove it accidentally, and put it back on the board on the wrong channel?

All these things happen at flying fields. MULTIPLE people access the frequency board. Anyone can make a mistake, and anyone else can be blamed for that mistake.

Unless you propose to have every club hire a person whose sole responsibility is to mange the frequency board, then accidents can, and will happen.

I want to know the circumstances involved in the shoot down before I say whether or not a person is responsible.

That's the third choice that's missing from this poll.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:30 PM
taxman232ex

YES or NO?

Well let me see....

How is there bias in his poll. It asks if someone negligently turns on a tx and as a result shoots someone down, is he responsible to replace the plan.

The poll alone indicate negligence. We know the facts - A RADIO WAS NEGLIGENTLY TURNED ON WHIL SOMEONE ELSE WAS PROPERLY USING THE FREQUENCY.

You then compare that to saying someone was shot.

I think it is absurd that 7 people voted no.

I think it is a good thing that breathing is involuntary as some of you guys would be dead from forgetting to breathe.

Taxman
Old 10-16-2003, 05:34 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: branded

P51, you're wayyyyyyyyyy out of line. I see jvalks point exactly. This poll needs a third line for those of us that want to hear the circumstances under which the accidental shoot down occurred.

Accidents happen at the field, and this isn't a black and white issue. It isn't YES or NO, but YES, NO, and DEPENDS ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES. What are the circumstances? Did the pin get knocked of the board by accident. Did someone remove it accidentally, and put it back on the board on the wrong channel?

Did the pin get knocked off the board? Did you pick it up, or turn on without it?
Did someone put it in the wrong channel? Did you turn on without it?

Your radio is either on or off, there is no third choice.

And, his analogy was more than stupid, I was just being polite.

By the way, I notice that you and jvalks are both from Chicago and are using the same avitar...is this coincidence...
Old 10-16-2003, 05:36 PM
branded

By the way, one more thing. You guys keep talking about "getting the pin, or having the pin".

Guess what guys. At many flying fields you do not GET A PIN.

At some, you place a pin, along with your AMA card on a frequency board. There's no pin in your posession.

An occuoied frequency is one that's covered by the pin on the board.

People have been known to knock them off, put them back in the wrong location, etc.

Old 10-16-2003, 05:39 PM
P-51B

By the way, one more thing. You guys keep talking about "getting the pin, or having the pin".

Guess what guys. At many flying fields you do not GET A PIN.

At some, you place a pin, along with your AMA card on a frequency board. There's no pin in your posession.

An occuoied frequency is one that's covered by the pin on the board.

People have been known to knock them off, put them back in the wrong location, etc.

So, if they put it back in the wrong location, you would think it is in use...NOT TURN ON!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:40 PM
FLYBOY

Geez branded, I thought the circumstances were explained in the first post pretty clearly! You are flying with the correct freq pin, some bonehead in the pits turns on and shoots you down and doesn't have the clip. It is pretty cut and dry who is at fault.

You can argue accident all you want, but it is pretty clear! No pin, don't turn on the transmitter!

Anyway, this is getting really old. I am going to close up shop and go home. You guys argue this. It isn't going anywhere. Some day when you get shot down from someone in the pits who didn't take the time to get a pin or check the freq, send me pictures of the wreck and tell me you didn't think they should pay for your plane because it was an accident. You will be crying like a little baby.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:41 PM
Flyfalcons

They are also both afraid to write down their (his?) real name(s).

Old 10-16-2003, 05:41 PM
branded

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Did the pin get knocked off the board? Did you pick it up, or turn on without it?
Did someone put it in the wrong channel? Did you turn on without it?

Your radio is either on or off, there is no third choice.

And, his analogy was more than stupid, I was just being polite.

By the way, I notice that you and jvalks are both from Chicago and are using the same avitar...is this coincidence...
If we knew each other I'm sure we would be the best of friends. This poll is skewed to get the obvious answer.

Let me see if I can start one too.

Is the Moon made of Cheese?
Yes or No?
Old 10-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Flyfalcons

How would you skew the poll to make it unbias?
Old 10-16-2003, 05:44 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

They are also both afraid to write down their (his?) real name(s).

And I suppose Flyfalcons is your real name?

Heck, I don't put my name up here either, no biggie.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Flyfalcons

No - my name is in my profile and in my sig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.