Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Virus Alert

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 10:23 PM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virus Alert

Someone out there or maybe several people are masquerading as RC Modelers with their screen name, ie [email protected], [email protected] etc, I dont know if these people are real people and are unintentionally sending attachements with nasty little viruses attached or if they are people going on sites like RCU and looking up posts and using e mail adresses found on the site to make a similar name so that the receiver doesnt hesitate to open the file or what, but beware, I have the latest and greatest virus protection and I had a time getting rid of the virus..

Be leary of a file that says "go to this website its funny" or "lets be friends and go fly" "check out these warbird pics" etc...

Some people should be hung by their testacles using a mouse cord for perpetrating this kind of perverse mischief!! :boxing:

FARGIN ICEHOLE
Old 05-04-2002, 10:40 PM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Default virus

I have received two emails titled " you will love this site, it is funny" or something like that. I did not open them. I also sent them back to the sender and I received a notice that the return address does not exist.

Be careful!!!!!
Brian
Old 05-04-2002, 10:54 PM
dennis1943
My Feedback: (12)

Default virus

i have done business with iflywarbirds so i dont think that it is him unless somebody has figured a way to copy but i dont know the other,

dennis1943
ama7030
moderator rco
Old 05-04-2002, 11:20 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default me too

I seem to remember the name iflywarbirds, but isnt he on some other server ie MSN or hotmail? someone is taking names off of some site and making screen names that appear at first glance to be someone you know... I have contacted AOL : p about these names, one is a guy that has a profile that expresses an interest in RC. so it has to be someone that has managed to copy the name and circumvent the users password or something, pretty sneaky, unless of course it is coming from the person and is being sent by a kid with nothing to do, or someting like that, I cant imagine someone sending a virus deliberately from a trackable address...
Old 05-04-2002, 11:33 PM
snotlocker
My Feedback: (14)

Default Worm

two days ago i got a email with the words ,LANIER RC ,SU 21 .
I opened it thinking it was from LANIER . and i wound up opening up a WORM !! Called KLEZ.H .
What a pain this was to fix ! i had 17 of these in my computor ,
its what i get for not having any security ..
any body else get this ????
Old 05-04-2002, 11:35 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default 1 MORE

HERES ANOTHER ONE TO WATCH OUT FOR [email protected]
Old 05-04-2002, 11:38 PM
dennis1943

Default virus

i have his fone number i will try and talk to him.

dennis1943
Old 05-05-2002, 12:11 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Virus Alert

guys...this virus is just about the biggest the net has seen...other than spreading itself and sending attachments and using your computer as an email forwarder to propogate itself it is actually harmless..

it works by taking those who are not protected and turning their computer into their propogation machine. If you get it the virus will take your email addresses and use them to send to other email addresses using fake return addresses or ones from your email address book as well and then pick random files from your hard drive and send them along with a copy of itself so the receiver gets it...it can send many emails and uses it's own email engine...it's really slick clever stuff and just about the biggest the nets ever seen.

It uses social engineering with 120 clever subject titles to get you to open the email...put that up with the "familiar" email addresses people get and you got a whopper! I get 20-60 per day of these annoying things...I'm protected but many have email addresses of people on RCU as many people have my address so they start spreading it unknowingly...once 50 people have mine and their "clients" send it out to 20 other clients or more than you have 1000 out there and it grows...

This one is going to take awhile to clear up but other than annoying the heck out of you it won't destory your files but "may" send a random file to someone on your drive of something confidential!

I suggest everyone switch to macs or get a good virus scanner with updates as that will stop this dead in the tracks from hitting you but you cannot stop the 100's or 1000's of people who are infected and keep on sending you these pesky things!!!
Old 05-05-2002, 12:55 AM
Dpage
My Feedback: (140)

Default Virus Alert

Marc is right get a Mac, these files are .exe that the Mac does not recognize and just ignores them! Dan
Old 05-05-2002, 11:56 AM
Alleymutt
My Feedback: (1)

Default VIRUS REPAIR

This virus has hit our club site also. To check and see if you have the KLEZ virus try WINKxxx.exe and it will be in your windows. If you do have this virus go to http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html I am not infected with this virus. I hope this helps. Alleymutt out
Old 05-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Alleymutt

Default Try again

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html I hope this one goes through. Alleymutt out
Old 05-05-2002, 12:38 PM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

Default Virus Alert

Highly recommend a Mac. Avoid ALL those hassles. Have never had a virus in over 4 years.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:05 PM
propjet
My Feedback: (68)

Default KLEZ

Here are my 4 rules to avoid getting a virus.

1. Don't use Outlook Express This is the hackers favorite email tool to use, because it can execute Microsoft code. Use any other package, your choice. Eudora is an example. Its free.

2. Install an Anti-Virus software package, Norton or McAfee, they both work equally well. Check the vendors website to see when they issue update files, or setup the software to update automatically. It's not that hard to setup and you don't have to remember when was the last time I updated the software.

3. Update the A/V software Virus Definition files WEEKLY. It use to be that you could update your software monthly. That is no longer the case. Viruses are changing so quickly that the signature files must be updated to detect the virus.

4. Be careful, opening your email. Never open an email that contains an attachment from someone you do not know, no matter how tempting. Delete the email. You also now need to be wary of attachments from people you do know, because the virus writer may have stolen their ID. Only open or click on attachments that you are expecting from people you know. It would be a good practice to ask first, "Can I send you an attachment." This way you are expecting the file. If you do open an attachment, as long as your virus definition files are up to date, you have better odds that you will not get infected.

That's it. Plain and simple.

Propjet
Data Security Analyst for a Worldwide Insurance Organization
I've got 10,000 pc's to worry about!
Old 05-05-2002, 11:16 PM
wbrian

Default Virus Alert

Nothing wrong with changing to a Mac, but not to avoid a virus. As the Mac gains popularity (as well it should) it will be as vulnerable. Just keep your virus software updated and open only email whose source is trusted.

Negative selling to convert people to Macs has never worked and never will!
Old 05-06-2002, 07:49 AM
Iflyrctoo-RCU

Default Virus Alert

I don't know how but this thing (klez.h) was sent to me with a picture that came from my own website. The file name was "Install.exe" and had it picture of my own glider attached to it.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:05 PM
wbrian

Default Virus Alert

Iflyrctoo
Most likely you had the Klez.H variant. This worm can randomly pick up a file with a variety of extensions (not just .exe) and attach it to its infected message from your system. Since all images on your website are also on your compute, it can grab images you have seen online.

FYI- this worm has been aggressively changing to avoid anti-virus software. Therefore it is imperative that you use some type of live update with your virus software and open only trusted and expected sources.

Good luck !!
Old 05-06-2002, 01:48 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Virus Alert

Just found out somehow my computer name (tailskid) sent out a virus to a friend...I think it MIGHT have been sent from my computer, but I'm not sure. Guess it is time to 'Re-format' the hard drive AGAIN....sheesh, all that time wasted re-installing software.....

Jerry
Old 05-06-2002, 02:34 PM
A10FLYR

Default Virus Alert

Originally posted by jackumac
Highly recommend a Mac. Avoid ALL those hassles. Have never had a virus in over 4 years.
Me neither.....with my PC.....
Old 05-06-2002, 02:42 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Default Virus Alert

Jerry....After you FDISK & FORMAT this time, load all your programs and get everything just the way you want, Ghost an image to a separate hard drive or to CD-ROMS.

I just got smart and bought another 40GB HD ($71) and made a 15GB partition just for a ghost image of my C: drive. It takes all of 10 minutes to restore a corrupted C: drive.

I pretty-much open anything now and try registry edits that I would have never done before.

I use large (120GB) RAID arrays with lots of graphic programs and I measure the re-install of all the programs in DAYS, not hours.

Now, 10 minutes and two or three clicks brings joy back into my life.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:18 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Default Virus Alert

Ghost is a beautiful program. Load your operating system, drivers, ISP software, games, whatever you want on your "baseline" image, run disk defragmenter, then Ghost it. That way, whenever you get a virus, or other problems, you boot up on a floppy, run the ghost program. It copies the entire "image" and when you reboot, voila, a fresh clean PC. I used it to mass deploy several different machine types in the field. I built 3 or 4 different images for my home PC, with various drivers, or software installed, and would just select what image I wanted.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:50 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Virus Alert

Where can I get a copy of this "Ghost" program --- it sounds like a real winner!

Oh, my IE is all screwed up also, so for the next couple of days I'll be doing this stuff from work (GASP! Hope my boss doesn't catch me!)...

Jerry
Old 05-06-2002, 05:58 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Default Virus Alert

They may have it at CompUSA or BestBuy. Also, try the smaller PC shops. Or do a search on the web for it. Mine was provided to me by the company. It works best if ya have a CD burner, and can copy the image straight to a CD.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:09 PM
greg-RCU

Default Virus Alert

Tailskid. Remember that Klez spoofs the from line. Just because someone receives an infected e-mail "From:" you doesn't mean you were infected.
btw - There is also a real smart *$$ version of Klez that claims to be a tool to clean Klez! The instructions note that this 'too' mimics the virus so some scanners may alert but to click continue anyway! Hooo boy!
Old 05-06-2002, 06:24 PM
iflywarbirds

Default Virus

I am letting everyone know that I am a real person that is active in modeling and I am not awear of sending any virus...please let me know how I can get to the bottom of this....any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks, Gerry
Old 05-06-2002, 07:24 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Default Virus Alert

Tailskid....

Just found a great deal on Ghost from NewEgg.com.

The package is called Symantec Norton SysyemWorks and includes Ghost, Norton Antivirus and a few more for $13.00 (yes, you read that right!) plus $6.00 shipping.

A great bargain if I ever saw one, I think I paid $49 just for Ghost.

Check it out HERE

By the way, Newegg is a great company and can be trusted.

It could be the best $19 you ever spent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.