Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Fatality at Tom Bass park, Houston, TX

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fatality at Tom Bass park, Houston, TX

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 12:24 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reaction

runover1, excellent point........we recently did that at our field......the GPS coordinates to our field are posted right on the "call 911 in an emergency" sign.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:40 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

From this accident, I will be insisting that our club's safety officer contact all the local emergency services and make sure they we know how to tell them were we are. One of my clubs is behind a soccor field and most people see the planes from time to time but don't know much about the field itself.

I think this is an activity that all clubs to undertake.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:48 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted the same thing in the AMA forum, and that is for clubs to set up a Emergency Operation Plan that includes procedures on how to administer first aid, calling 911 which includes making sure everyones cell phones work in the area, making sure 911 has adequate directions to the site and also, the field can accommodate firetrucks, ambulances, and a helicopter. It's funny how we take for granted our emergency services, yet, they can only be more efficient with our help.

Scott
Old 11-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

This really hits home with me. The LHS close to work here is frequented by many of the heli flyers at Tom Bass Park. Don't know if I have met him personally, but the heli guys are always friendly, personable and helpful. Ron, I'm sure, was no different. He will be sorely missed.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:38 PM
zxcv11

Deepest condolences to all concerned. []

A real eye-opener to safety/response issues within our RC community here.
It would honestly be great if this were to somehow prevent some accidents in the future, and in this way, at the very least, some type of good may come from this terrible incident.
In anology; in my youth I had a very dear, close friend pass from drunk driving at 20. This was the greatest type of wasteful accident, but I swore that I would make it mean something. To this day I refuse to take even a drink of alcohol and drive......so at least it had maybe saved at least 1 life.
I propose we all try to improve something re. safety due to this incident, whether in our clubs, or just our personal routines. Therefore it will have some positive effect.

Sincerely,
Brian
Old 11-09-2003, 10:44 PM
rking02

I was a friend of Ronald(Ron), He was one of the safest Heli fliers at Tom Bass Park. He will be missed by all of us. Fixed wingers and heli pilots. Trust me there will be many changes made at the park about safety, for both fixed wing and heli's.If I have have to go to the Park commissioner with the safety issues at the field,then I will. Don't get me wrong. This was a freak accident, but is has opened many of our eyes about the safety of not only the pilots at the field, but also the spectators also. On almost any Day out there you will find spectators in the pitts and unlicensed fliers at the controls of an aircraft or heli. Something has to be done at this field, and quick before someone else is hurt or.....even worse.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:19 AM
Scotty740

ORIGINAL: runover1

One thing that the RN, that was on site, said is it took too long for EMS to respond, and They could not find the field.

It would be very important for all of us to communicate with our local 911 dispatchers to make sure that they know exactly where our clubs are located. Accidents are rare, but like here are serious, and a quick response can change everything. I am almost sure that one person at every field has a GPS reciever that can locate an exact GPS coordinate. If we all work together to let EMS know where we are and the possible seriousness of injuries, then we should have a step in the right direction accomplished.[&o]

One thing that would be recommended is to contact the local police/sheriff and the EMS squads and invite them to the field. This way they know where it is located and what kind of injuries they might expect if called to the field. We do this where I work annually just to keep the EMS people updated on convent entrances to the plant and hazards they might face responding to injuries. They are usually very receptive to this and are always willing to do what it takes to improve their response time and know going in what kind of injuries that may be encountered.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:04 AM
EC120

I was told by a doctor who gave a safety talk out at our field that the best thing to do was get them into a car and drive them to the hospital if at all possible. A map to the hospital should be at the field. He said that way you are not waiting for the ambulance to drive there and back. I guess that with a neck injury I would be afraid to move them.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:05 AM
rking02

From what I have been told,the 911 system in Houston was changed over to a new system that is all screwed up. The park is on the border of two counties and it 911 could not figure out what county to have respond.The Sheriffs dept. patrols the park and helps to oversee the field. We will get the GPS location and post it at the field along with a first aid kit(there was no kit at the field).There is a fire station less than 3 miles from the park, but it is not in Harris county.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:19 PM
scott7x71

Being from Houston and an Rc'er, I feel terrible that this tragic accident has happened and I pray for the pilot and Mr. Kyle's family. The only thing we can draw from this horrible accident is to remind everyone to keep a running distance from these birds and to remind us to tell our loved ones how loved they are- every day.

I have seen guys at our field keep their heli's too close to themselves, even walk under them while hovering. I don't fly heli's but I do think they are very cool. There are too many variables created by the enormous amount of flight-critical components and that makes me too skiddish to handle one so I don't.

Are there any trainer-blades out there?? I know there are soft blades for electrics but what about the heavier birds? Maybe we could emplore designers, or ourselves, to develope a blade that will lift the nitro-heli but will break or fold upon impact with a medium density object, such as a person.

Hobbyists are some of the most inovative people in the world. I know because I am one.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:55 PM
taxman232ex

ORIGINAL: scott7x71

Being from Houston and an Rc'er, I feel terrible that this tragic accident has happened and I pray for the pilot and Mr. Kyle's family. The only thing we can draw from this horrible accident is to remind everyone to keep a running distance from these birds and to remind us to tell our loved ones how loved they are- every day.

I have seen guys at our field keep their heli's too close to themselves, even walk under them while hovering. I don't fly heli's but I do think they are very cool. There are too many variables created by the enormous amount of flight-critical components and that makes me too skiddish to handle one so I don't.

Are there any trainer-blades out there?? I know there are soft blades for electrics but what about the heavier birds? Maybe we could emplore designers, or ourselves, to develope a blade that will lift the nitro-heli but will break or fold upon impact with a medium density object, such as a person.

Hobbyists are some of the most inovative people in the world. I know because I am one.
Have you been hanging out with Mike Mas @ Rotory?? Maybe you could work with him and come up with that illusive silly putty blade design that he has been babbling about [>:]

Taxman