Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flying in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Zaquron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying in cold weather?

Hello,

As winter is knoking on our doors i wonder how you guys keep your hands warm at the field.
My only "technique" is to keep'em in my pocket until i start to fly, but when i tune the engine behind the prop it gets cold again in a few seconds. Gloves are not a good idea for me as i must feel the sticks for 3D flying (and i coud never adjust an engine properly without grabbing the needle valve ) There must be something that is able to keep the hands warm without gloves. (this is 21st century isn't it?) Any ideas?

regards, Zaquron
Old 11-04-2003, 03:43 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flying in cold weather?

someone makes a radio control glove, I cant recall who had it or where to find it but im sure someone here has a link.

matt
Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I stay home with a cup of hot coffee and sit in front of the fireplace, works for me!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:05 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a transmitter sock, but always forget it. My friends mom made one out of down, and it is really nice, but no face on it so you can't see the radio, that freeks some out. Mine has a clear front, but I like the down one better. I will have to dig mine out again.

Some also cut thumbs off a glove, but if you fly with the thumb and forefinger, you have to cut that finger too. Then wear a mitton over it when you are not flying.

Have fun, nothing like touch and goes in the fresh powder.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:20 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I use shooters gloves. These are gloves that have a flap in the palm area that allows your thumb and forefinger out to shoot. Works well for flying. You can get them in different materials. I wear some Thinsulate moleskin gloves underneath to keep the windchill off my fingers.

BTW, I have to buy two pairs since only one had has the flaps. A pair for left handed shooters, and a right handed pair.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:33 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

When I lived in Utah, I did a lot of winter slope soaring. This kind of flying presents a few unique challenges - gloves are mandatory as you're standing on a hillside in 30-degree weather with a 10+ knot breeze going, but you need to keep your launching hand free as a bare hand grips those slick fuselages much more securely than a gloved hand.

I tried several different types. Ski gloves,leather ones, Isotoners, etc. None of them worked - I still had to strip the glove from my launching hand, chuck the plane then fly to altitude before putting the glove back on. Plus they were bulky and didn't give the same sort of tactile feedback from the sticks like me bare fingers did.

Fleece gloves with no fingertips were a bit better. I was able to keep them on all the time, which was great. Unfortunately, they held water - after brushing the snow off your sailplane a few times they became waterlogged (and COLD.)

The best soultion for me were fly-fishing gloves. These have no fingertips, are fleece-backed and have neoprene covering the palms. Very warm, very grippy ans a lot more water-resistant.

Since I moved here, cold weather hasn't been a problem.

I still have the gloves, though. Just in case.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:54 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Zach Sparks makes the BEST transmitter mitten you'll ever come across......

Here's a link:

http://209.41.49.253/txmitten/
Old 11-04-2003, 05:13 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I use two gloves. The liner in a very thin cotton weave that I bought at Ace Hardware. The outer glove is a wool fingerless glove. It works pretty good and I can still feel the sticks.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:46 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone tried surgical latex gloves when they are flying? That would keep the heat in and the wind out. Don't know how they would work. You would not loose any feel of the sticks.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:27 PM
Deadeye

Tried latex, they just don't insulate. I've also tried thin leather gloves. They work OK. But you got to try a mongo mitt, here's a link: http://www.slopeflyer.com/artman/pub...ticle_13.shtml I think they are around $40, have a clear faceplate, are insulated, come in different colors, have ample room for hotpacks (chemical heat bags), and she'll even sew your initials on them. I love mine. The only drawback is reaching in there to set throttle trim if you've already started your plane and the throttle is too high (like a guy tends to do in the winter).

EDIT: Here's the direct link: http://www.fatlion.com/bash/
Old 11-05-2003, 01:00 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

I saw another one somwhere I cant recall and its killing me now! It was really nice made of fleece and had a large windo to look through as well. It proteced against the elements and also kept you warm.

matt
Old 11-05-2003, 04:25 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Do a search here on RCU. I think RCU did a review on the TRANSMITT. I bought one later year and it really works great.
NEDYOB
Old 11-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Dig it

GreatHobbies.com has what they call the "Transmitt". I have one and its great. Velcro on the bottom, a hole in the top for your antana, and a clear plastic cover over your radio so you can see it. Blocks the wind, has a nice lining for warmth and after a few flights you get used to it. I think its 20 or 30 bucks Canadian
Old 11-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Zaquron

Thanks for all the answers. Now i know what i'm looking for.

Zaquron