Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

3D at your flying field

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 11:08 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D at your flying field

I've just started to get good at prophanging, and i'm talking smaller planes, not big scales stuff, they shouldnt be doing this near the patch, just from point of view of dumb thumb recovery space needed. I also hang my Unlimited closer than my Cougar, because it recovers quicker and is better in the hang.
When i first started i was high and well away from the patch, it wasnt untill i came in low and close that i could do it properly. you just cant hover a plane to far from you when its smaller and you dont have the skill yet. i will admit i have almost hit my self once, and another time i was in the middle of the patch, no other flyers and it went towards where the pilots would be, but like i said it was just me flying. if theres some others flying aready ( the stay high type ) i will ask if i can hang on the patch and then its the plane further away than if i was alone. but what really gets me is i go out when the air is empty, with just a few mins from that 2OZ tank and then someone else comes out and then moans or makes me come out of hangs when they low pass without calling.
Officialy your not allowed to hang or hover into wind over the patch, but really, when you want to do that, where else are you meant to be? hovering landing? i have asked if i want to hang all flight can i go over somewhere else, that was deamed unsafe, i agree on that.
If everyone could do this, it wouldnt be a problem would it

Im more scared of helis, the pilot comes out, puts the heli next to all the pilots then hovers it right next to you for a few mins, and rarely flys out of the patch, and i know very well those blades can go 12M easy when they fly off.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:08 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

As I politely said in the warbird/3d thread last month. All you have to do is replace "warbird" and "3d" with "training/buddy box", "heli", "electric/slow/park flyers", "turbine", "pattern", kite flying", "free flight", "control line", "combat", or anything else I could think of, and someone is going to complain about it. There are people who love and do it all, and there are people who cant stand any sort of change or deviance from what they are familiar with and like. Most pilots fall inbetween those, watching other types of flying with passive curiosity or intrest, or appreciating the skills of other pilots. Then you get those who will tell you that black is the proper color of sh*t, and that if its not black, then its not sh*t.

Fortunately, at our field you can usually be by yourself during the week at any time, and its only "crowded" (meaning 20-35 people) on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I try not to fly when there are more than 3 or 4 people in the air, just because I'm not comfortable with the extra distractions. Our club members do tend to get along pretty well also, so that keeps the friction down.

Tolerance, Ladies and Gentlemen, Tolerance.

Steve
(Hey, ya know I can almost see my house from up here on the soapbox) ;D
Old 05-07-2002, 03:04 PM
Johnny_Rebel
Banned

Default Listen up Girls

I think the guys that fly this "3-D" stuff should buy helis. I'm going to make my own rc field with people that have similiar interests."3-D" is truly an annoying and non-skillful form of flying. Banging the sticks and then just watching what the plane does takes no effort whatsoever. If you ask these "3-D guys" what thier plane will do next 99% of them have no clue. And as for hovering - I could do that too if I put too big of an engine in my plane--there's not any skill in that. I say ban it all! I've had enough of this crap!!
Sincerely,
Jon
Old 05-07-2002, 03:12 PM
Johnny_Rebel
Banned

Default New Poll Idea

Preceeding this poll I thought another good one would be - How many of you wear ladies panties to the flying field?"
I bet the result would surprise everyone.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:29 PM
T28pilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default OMG

LMFAO!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2002, 05:05 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Johnny, Dont knock it till ya try it. The silk feels sooooo cooool against the sensitive skin on warm days. I stay away from the lace ones though, cause they get a lil too drafty on cool days. I'm sure you would be more comfortable, once ya got yours out of the twist they are in . You know, you were the biggest instigator on the 3d guys side in the warbird forum, even going insofar as to post a thread asking what warbird would 3d and hover the best. LOLOLOL
Old 05-07-2002, 05:31 PM
INJUN_EAR
Banned

Isn't this guy keeuel? Only thing, he's not close enough to his cranium.....I guess he's just learning how to fly...

Old 05-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Cactus.

that german ( gonna spell it wrong ) fleisher storch? the fun fly looking thing, that had potential to 3D i would say.
if its so easy why did it takes me a year to get it proppely?, now gunning the throttle of a Warbird, then idling back for the flight, now thats easy lol
i know its not that easy, but i wouldnt say aimless stick movements is 3D either. i wish i had the skill to do that stuff propperly, im getting there
Old 05-07-2002, 07:39 PM
lnorris

Default Now kids....

You know every time I see this come up I think about that book, "All I needed to know, I learned in Kindergarden"

We have all kinds of flyers at our field. Warbirds, pattern, pylon, heli's, 3d, trainers, etc... And we all get along because we *share*. That's right, we share the field. A group of 3d's will fly for awhile then trainers and warbirds, then heli's. We take turns, are mindful of where everyone is and what they are doing, etc... This is a HOBBY people. relax...

It's even been rumored that some guys fly electics in the evening, but I hope that is not the case. We don't put up with THOSE kinds of people...
Old 05-08-2002, 01:59 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Well its probably time to shut this thread down as some people just have to take it to a level thats not necessary....

Bottom line, as Stevezero said its all about tolerance.

For those of you who think that it takes no talent to 3D. You obviously havnt tried it. Proof is in your statement that "banging the sticks around is 3D" couldnt be farther from the truth....

Trust me, I know.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:28 AM
T28pilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default A level

*They always do..*
Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Craven
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: 3D at your flying field

It's so easy to 3D.

Wayne's just mad his short sticks can't touch each other anymore.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gig1129

It's so easy to 3D.

Wow. A reply to a 2002 posting.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Double J

The gig is bored.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Prairie Mike

in response to traxis tech:
It isn't because they can't do it. It's because they don't want to.
I like to fly in a scale manner. 3D just makes it(the hobby) into a toy. You sound young (=arrogant). Your skills probably aren't developed (at least your mental skills), yet your reflexes probably are. You probably get bored easily and you must push the envelope (to prove your worth?)

I really enjoy a 3D routine , with more than just hovering. When hovering is a part of the total show, it can be enjoyed. The worst example bad 3D I've seen was at a fly-in ion Copan. The Fox guys came over to demonstrate their engines. All they did was hover and blip the throttle on all flights & for the whole flight. Had enough listening to that all day long. They weren't invited back and they lost me as a prospective buyer.

Yet as one of the older guys (just retired), I recognize the need for 3D. The spectators love it, it is extreme, does take skills & reflexes, and the younger guys love to throw the sticks to the corners of the quadrant. Been there done that.

It is unnerving to be on the flightline with a dude hovering right in front of you and he comes off inverted right at you. Some day when you are loaded up with arthritis and can't move as fast as you used to, this will become an issue.

So the point is that we need to have time and area for the extreme flyers. The spectators at an IMAA event don't want to see somebody just shooting touch N go's all day long. Although it requires changes in attitude, airspeed and power settings at the same time. I've seen dudes who can't land, but can do wild aerobatics................ some are still in the hobby.

And, I believe I have done more in my life than you. Have you been supersonic? Actually flown acro, been in air combat?
So rather than belittle the older guys, just remember you will become one of them. Hope I live long enough to see it.

As to one of your clubs, not allowing 3D, I think that is a mistake and could lead to reduced membership, as the older guys stop flying.
Just my thoughts......................................
Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: disginated Areas

All types of aircraft and flying are welcome at Louisville R/C club.
Even 3D and helis. We have a diverse membership, and we like
it that way!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:04 PM
JimInCA

ORIGINAL: Scar

It's so easy to 3D.

I'm kind of glad to see this topic come back six years later. It will be interesting to see if there has been any change in attitude towards 3D.

At my field, there seems to have been a drop off in 3D flying in the last three years or so. There is still three or four fliers who fly 3D, but they tend to fly 3D later in the day when there's fewer people at the field. And a couple of them are very good pilots and are excellent at flying 3D, so they're fun to watch.

Personally, I am not a 3D flier and have no desire to do so, but to each their own...

Jim...
Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 PM
stick
My Feedback: (14)

I look at it this way. If you want to attract younger pilots you will need to let them fly in whatever style they like (fly smart and safe though). TO me I like to watch the 3d pilots wring it out, but at the same time I love the scale planes flying in a scale manner. For that matter give me a trainer on a nice day and I'll have fun with that also.

Clubs in general get into problems when they try to "outlaw" a particular flying style. If you don't like the 3D stuff and do not allow it then your club will eventually die out as that is what the younger generation are in to.

People have to be open to change. It is a fact of life.

In my opinion let banning a flying style is just wrong. Let the ones who want to learn how to fly 3D fly it. Let the warbird guy make there high speed low passes. Let the sport fliers fly the pattern with a few loops and rolls. As long as nothing is happening over the runway there shouldn't be a problem.

As far as what is safe, I seen a helicopter explode due to a engine bearing failing and one of the blades land behind the pilot line. I've seen 3d planes hovering low and an engine quit and it fall out of the air. These miniature aircraft are not toys. They can be deadly. They must be respected. But in defense of the flying close to you I can get out of the way of a slow flying if moving at all 3D plane before I can get out of the way of a warbird doing a 100 mph pass that may have radio problems.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:31 AM
BillyGoat

Deleted original response.I hate when some wanker pulls a thread from the archives just to make a comment. [sm=bananahead.gif] Even worse when I get suckered into the thread. [sm=punching.gif] Not sure how I missed Scar's post before?

ORIGINAL: Scar

It's so easy to 3D.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 AM
TakingFlight96

At our field 3D is welcome, but, with common sense in mind. Just as in regular flying, you must stay within designated boundaries, no flying over the road, over the pit, over cars, etc.

TakingFlight96
Old 07-16-2008, 05:04 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I let anyone fly whatever / however they want, within safe limits, and the boundaries of the field. There is a guy that flies 3D at my field, he is a kick to watch, flying his Twist. He also flies a heli, and the rest of us just fly.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

It's not the 3D fliers at our field you have to watch out for, it's the new guys and some not so new guys that will fly through the pits from time to time. We normally have a low enough turn out of fliers when someone is doing 3D or Heli's we give the airspace to that flier. We also normally give first flights an open field to use. Our field is laid back I tell ya.