Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

wouldnt it be cool...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 10:47 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wouldnt it be cool...

if you could put model rocket engines on your plane for boosters? too bad the ama doesnt allow it []
Old 11-07-2003, 11:43 PM
jettstarblue

Default RE: wouldnt it be cool...

Yes very cool, and so are the black powder bombs we drop!! Shhh don't tell a soul!!
You can ,make a cruise missle with a cheapo foam glider (wings cut very short) and a "D" rocket motor. Rubberband under the wing, and use ignition cord. When the cord burns through the rubberband, the thing drops off, and about 2-3 seconds later the motor lights, when the parachute charge goes off it lights the black powder bomb inside make the grand finale'!!
Can't believe I just told you that, do not try this at an AMA field, or where the other kids are playing. At least not without telling them so they can watch!!

Jetts
Old 11-08-2003, 12:55 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: electricfan

if you could put model rocket engines on your plane for boosters? too bad the ama doesnt allow it []
Perhaps AMA DOES allow for that. Read the General Paragraph Rule #7 very carefully. Notice the sentence starting, "The only exceptions.... or those permanently attached (as per JATO use) ...."

In the old B-47, we used JATO PERMANENTLY ATTACHED to a rack hung on the fuselage. Later we dropped the rack.
Now with a bit of Philadelphia lawyering here, perhaps after all rockets are expended, the rack could be dropped. At least YOU got me thinking!!! [&:]
Old 11-09-2003, 11:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You CAN permanently attach rockets to your plane (to be used as boosters).

You CAN NOT allow the rockets to leave the airframe (to be used as missiles).
Old 11-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

You CAN NOT allow the rockets to leave the airframe (to be used as missiles).
Unless you fly at a dry lake bed - then you can do WHATEVER you want.............just don't hurt anyone.
You won't believe some of the stuff I have seen out there...................

Jackjet
Old 11-09-2003, 12:38 PM
jettstarblue

Or your own private large open field!!
Old 11-09-2003, 06:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I sould have pointed out that I was referring to the AMA code
Old 11-10-2003, 09:56 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody catch the Discovery Channel last night? There was a 3hr program about the Model Rocket competition here in Kansas. There was a guy who had a model of the NASA SST Rocket Plane. It had a liquid fueled engine that took it to altitude and flew back to the ground by radio control.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Technically, you can do whatever you want, WHEREVER you want. There aren't any AMA Missile Police hiding in the bushes waiting for you to do something bad. You won't get fined, beaten up, or arrested for simply launching rockets off an R/C plane.

The question here is: CAN YOU GET AWAY WITH IT? It's called risk assessment. The AMA thinks the risk of an accident is too high under any circumstances, so no exploding pyrotechnics or missiles are allowed on the planes.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:58 PM
goneflyn

Yep...the AMA does allow you to use rocket type propulsion systems, as pointed out, and given the conditions sited above.

However, I think if you read the AMA membership agreement a little more closely, you will find that no matter where or how you fly, by joining the AMA, you have agreed to comply with all AMA rules (Whether you are in a drylake bed, unpopulated area, or anywhere else) when ever you fly. I might be wrong, but, I don't think I am.

While it may be true that one doesn't HAVE to follow the rules, and there may not be an AMA "Missile Police", the AMA does have a provision that your membership can be revoked, if you do not abide by the rules.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

There's a great thread on this very subject in the Extreme Speed planes forum.

Anybody catch the Discovery Channel last night? There was a 3hr program about the Model Rocket competition here in Kansas. There was a guy who had a model of the NASA SST Rocket Plane. It had a liquid fueled engine that took it to altitude and flew back to the ground by radio control.
I saw the last 2 hours. Pretty cool, but I had a thought when I was watching it. Everyone is so up in arms about RC planes possibly being used as WMD. I don't think everyone should be worrying about RC planes so much because this was basically a three hour show on little missiles......
Old 11-10-2003, 04:02 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Goinstraightup

There's a great thread on this very subject in the Extreme Speed planes forum.

I saw the last 2 hours. Pretty cool, but I had a thought when I was watching it. Everyone is so up in arms about RC planes possibly being used as WMD. I don't think everyone should be worrying about RC planes so much because this was basically a three hour show on little missiles......

My thought exactly, especially the part showing the rockets hitting over 1000mph. At that speed a projectile with or without explosives can do alot of damage.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:07 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: scottrc

Anybody catch the Discovery Channel last night?

I saw one last night that was huge. They shot it to over 30,000 feet. Had GPS tracking it. Had to get an FAA waiver so they could launch it. Faa diverted traffic around the area. That was cool.

Hate to see it coming at me in the air though. I think they said it was going mach 2+. Thats rippin right along.