Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Looks like I may be in for a treat this weekend. See inside.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Looks like I may be in for a treat this weekend. See inside.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 09:30 AM
Blackie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like I may be in for a treat this weekend. See inside.

Heading out to another big bird in Kingsbury, TX located at an Old Kingsbury Aerodrome, the kingsbury aerodrome has a musuem of some nice vintage full scale that I get to drool over.

Heck I'm just hoping I'll be able to take a break from the musuem so as to get some flying in.

Heres a couple of links.

http://www.vintageaviation.org/aircraft/index.html

http://www.vintageaviation.org/

Just make sure you clink on all the links you'll be in for a treat or should I say I will.

Blackie
Old 11-13-2003, 09:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Looks like I may be in for a treat this weekend. See inside.

Looks like Cole Palin's Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome that I use to frequent up in Kingston NY.

Have a ball Blackie!
Old 11-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez, some guys get all the luck. We never get airshows in unpopulated Montana. The best airshow I get to see is out at the RC field. And if I want to see more than just one thing in the air, I just look for the nearest swarm of mosquitoes.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:40 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Happy for you. We do have some airshows in AZ and the Champlin Fighter Museum started in Mesa. It was great while it lasted. The pictures of the D-VII were great. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:18 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

ballgunner, I do feel bad that you are losing the Champlin collection, but I am really glad that it is coming to Seattle! I absolutely *love* the museum here, and with all the new stuff... (just saw the Concorde land here last week! wow!).

Anyway, it's not that far for you to come visit up here. Get out of all that darn sun, too!
Old 11-13-2003, 04:41 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to tell you a great story:

The Old Rhinebeck Areodrome In Rhinebeck NY is home to a group of antique aircraft hobbyists. As part of the show, they do a bombing run, where they drop black powder bombs onto the other actors on the field. One of the pilots (Bill King) was a friend of my dad's and a fellow R/C Flier. The first time I went, he and my dad were talking before the show, and he said that his "Bombadier" didn't show up that day. Ha asked if I would like to take his place. That was probably the easiest decision I ever made in my life! To make it even better, this was back in the late 80's and I was one of the first people to own a video camera which I had with me (Not a camcorder mind you, but a seperate camera and portable recorder!)

I got some of the most incredable shots of formation flying with 3 other antique Bi-Planes! It was AWSOME!

Unfortunately, an accident that my son had with a can of coke distroyed the footage (Aren't kids great?)

Oh well, the memories will still last a lifetime!

PS check out the aerodrome at:

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/

If your ever north of NYC, check it out!
Old 11-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blackie,
Our club (GAMA) organized a trip to Kingsbury last year and did the tour while they were also hosting a model rocket day for the San Antonio school kids. Great fun. That tour was the best thing I've seen in a museum in a long time. They take you back into the shop area so you can see the machine that cuts propellers for these old planes and see up close all the projects they are working on, and the machine shop for fixing the engines they have. The hanger with all the finished planes that are flight ready is just perfect for an airplane addict. You're in for a treat. You should grab Bobby Waldron and take him with you. I know he would like it. My wife even liked it, she doesnt care one bit about RC and she had a great time.
Edwin
Old 11-13-2003, 06:30 PM
The PIPE

Default And if you wish to see some RC MODEL event photos from there....

Dear MinnFlyer:

The PIPE Here YET AGAIN...and you KNOW I canNOT say enough GREAT things about "my second home"...OLD RHINEBECK AERODROME!

Now if people would like to see some photos of RC MODELS that have been FLOWN there, during the annual WEEKEND AFTER LABOR DAY annual RHINEBECK RC JAMBOREE Scale fly-in event, just head for http://www.biplanes.de/modelle_uebersicht.shtml ...my German Email buddy's page at his site, BIPLANES.DE, that has some shots I've taken there of some of the RC models that have been flown there over the recent past!

I've got some photos of RICH FEROLDI's HUGE one THIRD scale Albatros D.Va model (flew there THIS year!) to scan and send to Jens Klank to be placed up at his site...and since his FAVORITE plane of all time is the AVRO 504K, there's some VERY NICE photos of both the full scale one (reproduction, of course) there at http://www.biplanes.de/show_old_rhinebeck_02.shtml ...and of Ray Williams' HUGE one third RC Giant Scale Avro 504 there, too, at http://www.biplanes.de/modelle_avro504.shtml ...and THAT one uses a miniature ROTARY radial engine for power!!!!

Very soon, in 2004, I'm hoping to get MY 1/6th RC Scale model of Rhinebeck's veteran FLEET FINCH biplane...

...actually FLYING again there for the RC Jamboree event in 2004 (got a BRAND NEW and all-broken-in Saito 56 engine to power it with)...and I can't wait to actually find the TIME to get to work restoring THIS great old bipe of mine.

Just canNOT say enough great and WONDERFUL things about that place that's only a FOUR HOUR DRIVE away from my home in the Boston area...and thanks to BILL KING, I may even get my very FIRST aircraft ride experience, in his full size Tiger Moth AT ORA...sometime in 2004!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!