Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

A beter site then RCU, reloaded.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

A beter site then RCU, reloaded.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 07:54 PM
SpaceCase
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A beter site then RCU, reloaded.

Im glade the mods closed out the last ones of these. They said they were getting off point. Whats funny is no one ever was on point. My question was was there a better site then RCU? It was then recieved with a lot of difensive retorts. I asked a question and bam, everone is getting mad at me. I also never made a personal attact on anyone. Although someone made fun of me because my spelling isnt that great. I saw a picture of a dead cat and a sign that sade "dont use rcu." Yes sir e a lot of things happend. Some might think its like being with your girlfreind and asking "hey any of your freinds better then you?" But I dont. Its just a question.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:57 PM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: A beter site then RCU, reloaded.

THERE'S NOT A BETTER SITE FOR RC!!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:31 PM
Tattoo

I don't think forums can have a "better" or "worse" lable put on them. It's like going shopping. You can go to Wal-Mart, or Target, or Sears, or K-Mart, or Pennys, or any other "has everything" department stores. Or you can go to smaller specalties stores if you want. If I buy a Snickers candy bar at Wal-Mart or at Walgreens, does it make one store better than the other? Nope. It just means that I went looking for what I wanted, found it, and it was just as good no matter where I got it from. Walgreens is down the street from my house, so I can get there quick. The parking lot is small, the store is never crowded, and I can zip through the line no problems. Yet sometime I wonder how they stay in business. Wal-Mart takes longer to get to, It's harder to find a parking place, it's always crowded, and the lines are usually pretty long and it takes time to get around and out of there. They have a heck of a lot more stuff though, more selection, and there is little doubt that they will have what I'm looking for, and keep growing and accomidating, so there is a trade off.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

I usually don't post on issues like this, so I'm putting on my flame suite, are you people bored or what!, I'm really getting tired of reading about complaints of RCU and this site sucks kind of comments. I'm here to learn about other peoples experiences with the hobby and share what I know, I post on other boards when I can't find my answers here, and I do the same with the other forums, so why can't we lay this issue to rest, if you don't like RCU, then don't post here. If your unsure about your spelling, there's a spell checker below.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:24 PM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Normally I do not get involved in discussions on topics like this. I leave them for Marc (RCAdmin)
In this case though I had a couple comments based on verbal discussions that I have had with various members since the inception of the new site.

Coming into RCU and asking if there is a better site than RCU is much like going to a nice Italian restaurant and asking the owner if there is a better Italian restaurant that the one you are in. My first thought is that it is insulting, considering all the countless man hours and money that was invested into this site. Considering how we personally answered 1000's of emails making changes and listening to what the members wanted. Considering that there is nobody holding a gun to your head to use RCU. We are not charging admission, we are not the local utitility company, where when you don't like something they can simply say tough - go somewhere else, knowing that there is no where else.

We understand that you have choices on the net where you decide to go to discuss RC. We have provided a place that is the culmination of feedback, requests, and data derived from almost 2 years of running this site. We try and provide a valuable service to the RC community - for FREE. We listen to and answer every email personally. Yet we sit back and every day come up with a multitude of new ideas, features, and offerings for the people in this hobby.

Getting back to my first thought that it is insulting to ask is there is a better site than RCU, no it is not insulting, it is encouraging. It means that our ever expanding lists of new "Stuff" for RCU are exciting and it motivates us to work harder so hopefully someday no one will feel the need to ask "is there a better site than RCU".

To all of our loyal members who posted on our behalf in this and other discussions like this, we thank you! For all of you who are still skeptical, we ask for your input and for your patience. We have come a long way in 2 months and it is only the tip of the iceberg.

ON a personal note, I often wonder how I got along in this hobby without RCU, or RC discussion boards in general. If I just relied on my club members, I would be flying Top Flite Warbirds and Sig trainers for the rest of my life! RCU plays a valuable roll in the growth of this hobby. It provides a community forming the largest RC club on the planet. It allows people to move ahead in hobby and not be afraid to try new things as there is always someone there to back you up or bail you out.

RCU has grown almost 72,000 members strong in less than 2 years because of the dedication not just of Marc, Michael, Larry, and myself, but because of YOU our members.

Thank you for making RCU the friendliest, most informative place on the net for the radio control hobby.

-Erick
Old 11-19-2003, 11:29 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And..thankfully for erick I didn't have to respond to this one

I will comment and say I did smile with the sign post in the other closed thread. that was funny.

On the bright side of things those who aren't "set" in the old ways of yesterday seem to embrace RCU. We are signing on about 5000 people per month so at this pace we will have almost doubled our entire membership again in one year. Those who refuse to move forward will unfortunately get left behind and be forced to find that "better site".

While they enjoy that other site we'll be working 100 times harder for our members than anyone else to further improve RCU ever single day.

oops..I think I just responded [X(]
Old 11-20-2003, 12:15 AM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Marc,
I have talked to erick many times on the phone and he has always been helpful and never in to much of a hurry to answer my emails.
If you and erick are at the toledo show I'll buy lunch.
Thanks for your hard work and time.
Roy
Old 11-20-2003, 12:39 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I agree with what Erick has posted 100%. I have been involved with sites like this for almost 8 years and I know that it has made the enjoyment of this hobby so much more fun. I have made so many friends over these years, friends that I wouldn't even know existed if it weren't for sites like RCU. I still rememberwhen marc approached Edward, then owner of RCO which I was an Administrator with help to make it better, this was when it starting to flounder and Edward turned him down, big mistake on his part, good thing for marc as he was then able to go out on his own and start RCU. I admit that I wasn't to sure about this new look but I know that change takes time to get use to and that's what I did and now enjoy it as much and maybe more then I did the old site. There are a lot of us working in the background to make RCU what you want it to be but this cannot happen over night, like the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in day".
Old 11-20-2003, 12:40 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said, Gentlemen....

....I represent about 1/50th of the cogs in the Moderator wheels....
a great bunch of highly talented....dedicated Men....who basically like
to help out others, and certainly like to be on the winning Team....

I remember when RCA and RCU were to be combined....we thought
there would be alot of resentment....and disenchantment....kinda like
combining the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Cincinnati Bengals....

....didn't happen. It seems like just about everything the Members complained
about at first....have changed. I myself, was sceptical about the new look of
RCU....and wasn't used to navigating this type of site....at first it was a bit
cobby, and complicated....but now....it's as slick as snot...and getting better
week by week....

Yes, there are still glitches and bugs....but I see them being ironed out....one
by one. Jezz....I have enough trouble just keeping my PC on line and working.
Imagine 60 or 70 thousand people whacking away at your site....[X(]

Anyhoozle....in responce to SpaceCase....I think it may be quite awhile before
this many dedicated men come together....with this big of a Dream....and make
it happen....the way RCU is happening.

Dave.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:51 AM
GrnBrt

In resonse to what Dave just said, yes he is but 1/50th of the team here, and yes we have just over 50 moderators working for nothing so RCU will be the best thing going. I want to say that being the Senior Moderator I have never met a more dedicated bunch of modelers and it's truly a pleasure working with them.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:03 AM
Live Wire

The best answer could have been ( not yet their isn't)
Old 11-20-2003, 09:30 AM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Thanks Erick and Mark for the great response and for a great site.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:20 AM
skypupmut

RCU is THE best
I check out and checked out many others but RCU is the one I come BACK TO EVERY DAY
u GUYS rock
u can keep looking but her HERE is the best for me
Old 11-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Deadeye

It's always seemed funny to me to see guys post HERE, and then gripe about being HERE. How ridiculous is that? It's like going to Wal-Mart, and then griping about having gone there (OK, Wal-Mart isn't a fair analogy, coz I HATE going there, but you know what I mean).

I started RC airplanes about 14 months ago. Within that time, I have built balsa models, coroplast models, and have flown the holy livin' crap outta both types. I have learned several lifetimes of experience by visiting here. I belong to a club with a few guys, but those few guys have experiences worth their weight in gold. Too bad I can't rely on them and pick their brains 24/7, like I can on RCU.

Simply put, RCU has a friendly atmosphere, and is second to none on the amount of knowledge to be gained. To me, RCU is like having an experienced RCer at my beck and call. And it's free. I never would have accelerated as quickly as I have in this hobby if it wasn't for RCU. Thank you RCU, for providing a no-cost wealth of information. And I thank Tattoo and Kraut for providing a low cost, fun alternative for sign making materials.

I am what I am in this hobby because of RCU. And so are you.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:56 AM
rc247

What is the point of this thread? I admit, I'm fairly new to this, but from what I can tell, other sites can't be mentioned or links posted. Or am I just missing the point.

Bill
Old 11-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Nitroaddict

ORIGINAL: rc247

What is the point of this thread? I admit, I'm fairly new to this, but from what I can tell, other sites can't be mentioned or links posted. Or am I just missing the point.

Bill

This is just common courtesy - some sites can, however it is considered quite rude.

Would you go into someone's resturaunt and tell all the patrons that the one across the street is better? The owner would kick you out. Just a bit uncouth to advertise a market competitor, although with 77,000 members, RCU hardly has a real competitor.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:18 AM
DBCherry

Bill (RC247),
I'd heard that any link or mention of another site would be deleted, but have found that if I recommend say, EZone as a dedicated site for electric questions, no one throws a hissy fit.

I think that if your reference is a good faith effort to help someone get answers to their problems, and points to a site where info not available on RCU is available, no one will object.

It is rude however, to come here and slam RCU because you have some gripe or other, then try to point people elsewhere.

In my opinion, and apparently a few tens of thousands of others', RCU is the best site available.
Dennis-
Old 11-20-2003, 11:37 AM
SpaceCase

Its not that I dont apriciate all the hard work and effort everyone put into this site, I do. At first I didnt relize what kind of responce this was going to generate. I just was toying around that maybe there was a differnt/better site for rc stuff. This I a public forum for the discussion of r/c stuff. I really dont care if anyone finds it insulting that I asked this question. If I lived my life fearing what others thought Id be a quiet man. Im not. When I think of it this site is really amazing in pulling a lot of folks to geather to talk about r/c stuff. Iv really learnd a lot because of this. Maybe also when I posted that question I didnt relize if you skipped all the sir charges and what not its really cheap to sell stuff here (50 cents). When I asked that question I wasnt exactly ripping on RCU, I was getting anyoyed with trying to sell something and getting all these charges to do so, I wanted to know if there was a better site. Also, is that cat still up for grabs? I need a pet, it really dosnt matter if its dead or alive.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:39 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Spacecase,
Why don't you do a search on google for other sites and go spend some time on them and get back to us when you find a better one?

Tattoo,
I didn't know you could buy Coro at Walgreens.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Tattoo

are you people bored or what!, I'm really getting tired of reading about complaints of RCU and this site sucks kind of comments
I read through the thread and haven't seen someone griping or saying RCU sucks. I also don't see people bored. What I've seen are opinions. What I also see is concern. Wal-Mart is one of the places I frequent the most. Other than a smaller specialty forum (of my chosen R/C interest) RCU is the forum I frequent the most. It is also the forum I'm having the most trouble with in terms of speed, navigation and posting. It's huge, it's comercialized, it's crowded, and it has bugs, and if I ever post something concerning these issues it is not out of boredom or griping. It is out of concern. There is nothing I would like better than to come here and zip through my subscribed forums at blinding speeds with no problems. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. If I can't, it's a service to Marc and the guys working the site to let them know. When speed and problems at RCU cause people to spend less time here, and say so, it's NOT griping. Not saying something IMHO would be worse for RCU than just moving on. Look what Wal-Mart is doing. They are expanding, their newer stores are huge, there are a million check out counters, and they are getting better all the time. I'll betchya customer feedback has a lot to do with what they do and their success. Yes, anyone can simply go to the K-mart across the street, and Wal-Mart is constantly doing whatever they need to to stop them. But they have to know why people do this before they can do anything about it. I was extreamly opinionated when RCU was going to have click through ads. I was extreamly pissed when posts on the subject got deleted or edited. I was not alone. I didn't look at it as whining or saying RCU sucked. I looked it it as concern. I was concerned that a place I like to go was making a mistake. It was feedback. It was my opinion. It was letting RCU know why I was loosing interest in coming back. And guess what? They listened to everyone and made changes. It's all part of the game. It's why some make it and some don't. I ran a Spad forum for 3 years. The technology then was nothing more than a good bulliten board. I would never know what wasn't working, what needed to be fixed or tweeked, what people liked or didn't like unless...someone told me. Yeah, the way they would come across would really chap my hide sometimes, but you can bet I used every bit of the feedback. Running a forum was one of the biggest pains in the keester I've ever done in my adult life. It was a daily damned of you do, damned if you don't operation. What made it to the board was only a teensy beensy tip of the iceburg compared to the back channel e-mails when something didn't work right, or someone didn't agree with what you said or were doing. I can only imagine what it's like for today's forums. The place died from old technology, slow speeds, too much traffic...and the final blow was ads, since I was doing it on a CGI host. That killed it over night. I was never more happy when I handed the reins over to someone else. What guys like Marc do here and Chuck do at Spadworld, to me, is nothing short of simply incredable. But they couldn't do it without feedback...good or bad.

As for coroplast at Walgreens?...I wish
Old 11-20-2003, 02:39 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can tell you one thing for sure that RCU has that NO other R/C internet site has....

ME!

That's right! This is the only place on the web where you can read my posts, view my illustrations, and generally bask in the splendid ambiance that I bring to this great site.

PS. I will be available at the Toledo show for pictures and autographs. And I don't have lunch plans if you're buying.
(Tax, License, and dealer prep not included. Offer void where prohibited by law.)

Old 11-20-2003, 02:46 PM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

Minn if you ever move to another site let me know so I can go to!!
Old 11-20-2003, 03:23 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: rc247

Bill
Bill is not entirely correct. While it would be outside RCU's guidelines to post a link to another site in this thread, most of the time a link to another site would be OK. The following is copied from the RCU Policies and Procedures:

Our policy on linking to other websites is pretty simple. Members may link to any other site that provides information that helps answer another member's question or is just of general interest to members of that particular forum. One of the most basic tenets of the Web is the open exchange of information, and the RCU forum managers wholeheartedly support this type of exchange.

The only type of linking (besides porn and spam, of course) that will not be allowed on our site is when members solicit people to leave our site for a competing service. That's just common sense. We won't allow people to use our site to promote a competing service any more than a brick-and-mortar store would allow his competitor to paste flyer's all over his walls. However, people are always welcome to link to any online resource, whether it's on our site or any other site, in order to share useful information with fellow members.

Because of the topic of this thread, linking to another site would not fall within the above guidelines. Linking to useful information on another site is OK, but recruiting members is not.

Eric
Old 11-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Adudein
My Feedback: (11)

I agree with Tatoo,sometimes "complaining " can be very healthy.I also wonder if WalMart would tell a customer who complained "nobody is holding a gun to your head to shop here".

I think Spacecase has some legitimate concerns with this site.I can't stand the new "marketplace" and rarely visit.I still check out the forums,but not as often.Please don't change them.As far as other sites,what I am seeing is increased classified ads at a couple of other places.There is not an increase in the discussion forums at these sites,which are basically inactive in the discussion forums.There is also an increase in the numbers of items on eBay.This seems to indicate(to me anyway) that others seem to feel the way I do.Most of the guys at my club don't care for it.

This is just my opinion,and I could be completely wrong.It's obvious from this thread that the RCU moderators like the new RCU.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:55 PM
GrnBrt

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I can tell you one thing for sure that RCU has that NO other R/C internet site has....

ME!

That's right! This is the only place on the web where you can read my posts, view my illustrations, and generally bask in the splendid ambiance that I bring to this great site.

PS. I will be available at the Toledo show for pictures and autographs. And I don't have lunch plans if you're buying.
(Tax, License, and dealer prep not included. Offer void where prohibited by law.)

Ah Jeez Louise, there goes a very good lunch out the window. Did I mention in my post that some of the Mods are a bit off center?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.