Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

All hand pumps created equal??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

All hand pumps created equal??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 09:12 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All hand pumps created equal??

I am in need of a new fuel pump. Was wondering if there are any particular ones that are better..Or are they all pretty much the same..
Old 11-23-2003, 09:31 PM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: All hand pumps created equal??

No they are not the same. personally I like electric ones Ive only had one and its going on 15 yrs old.
two guys I fly with use the slimline pump. The towers looks similar but i am not familiar with that one
I have also seen the Dave brown six shooter used it works of a deferent method than the other two
I call the Dave brown,milking the cow! it squeezes a tube at one end with a lobe and moves it to the other end I think there is two lobes so one is always engaged.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:25 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

I used an electric for years and liked it, but now I use three different types of fuel and have gone to manual pumps. The Slimline pumps I use work well. I did have a problem with the crank on one jamming. I returned it to Slimline and they replaced it.

Eric
Old 11-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Azcat59

I have used the Dave Brown manual pumps for well over twenty years. They just keep on pumping, and if one does get a little "weak" you can buy a re-build kit for only $3 or so. I have two of them, one on a can of castor-synthetic fuel, and one on a can of straight synthetic.

Clair
Old 11-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Combat Addict

The old hobbico pumps were ok. The current ones are wierd. I had one and it broke after the 3 time. Sent it to hobbico, they gave me a new one, and it has been working for about a year now, still working well. (Knock on wood)
Old 11-23-2003, 11:36 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the Maxx Products hand pump. Pumps fast and will work with glow or gas.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:42 AM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

I use the MK brand of hand pump (Central Hobbies). It came with an adapter that allows it to be held like a pistol. Very convenient! MK is japanese and all there products are top of the line.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I was looking at the maxx pumps as well..they look to be pretty good..
Old 11-27-2003, 01:13 AM
trailingedge
My Feedback: (1)

I've had a hobbico hand crank for about a year now and I hate it. It dribbles fuel around the seams of the case. It leaks just enough to make your hand wet after filling your tank. I've been meaning to replace forever, but I always find something else I need first . I used to have an old six shooter many years ago and I really liked it after it got broken in. The dogone thing was really stiff for the first month though. I'll probaby try a slimline next...
Old 11-27-2003, 08:00 AM
Nuker

I had a manual Hobbico that stated leaking after a few uses. Went electric; again Hobbico and that one lasted around 3 years before leaking.

I just got a Mark X after seeing a buddy at the field who had one 10 years. Haven't gotten around to replacing the leaking on yet . For smoke fluid, I've stuck with manual and use the Dave Brown pump; yes it's stiff to use at first but this thing is solid!

Bob
Old 11-28-2003, 12:20 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I've had a couple of pumps.

First one was a Dave Brown Six-Shooter. It worked well, if a bit slowly. The tube finally rotted and failed (with a huge gush of fuel), but by then I'd already replaced it with a Kavan pump.

Which worked well. No leaks, ever.

I retired that one when I got one of the Slimline "Boxxer" pumps for my field box.
I actually prefer the old Kavan pump to the Slimline one - it was faster, and a hell of a lot quieter.

I have a couple of the Max fuel pumps - they are the ones JerseyModeler.com supplies with his fuel jugs. No problems.

Finally I have one of the (old style) Slimline M1 pump/fuel cap combos. (I run low-nitro fuel in the heli, so I needed a seperate setup.) This works OK - its fairly speedy and hasn't leaked. The only problem I had with it involved the plastic cranking arm and the plastic final gear on the pump - after a gallon or so the arm started slipping on the gear. Finally fixed it by drilling a hole through the side of the arm and gear and driving a screw through.

IMHO it really shouldn't be necessary to MacGuyver a $30 product like this. But what do I know?
Old 11-30-2003, 11:22 AM
jboy381-RCU

ORIGINAL: dalolyn

No they are not the same. personally I like electric ones Ive only had one and its going on 15 yrs old.
two guys I fly with use the slimline pump. The towers looks similar but i am not familiar with that one
I have also seen the Dave brown six shooter used it works of a deferent method than the other two
I call the Dave brown,milking the cow! it squeezes a tube at one end with a lobe and moves it to the other end I think there is two lobes so one is always engaged.

the six shooter wins the race hands down...when i got mine it came with the can...i've had it a lone time,with no problems...there are no gears to strip,and no handles to break...

in my opinion it's the best on the market...
Old 11-30-2003, 01:34 PM
us1hydro
My Feedback: (23)

Put in my vote for the Six Shooter - I've been racing R/C boats for more years than I think I want to admit- MANY MANY gallons of very high nitro fuel - 45-70%. The nitro has eaten every pump I ever had until I went to the Dave Brown Six Shooter. I have several of them - including the first one I ever bought many years ago. They are rugged, dependable and easy to repair IF the tube ever gets weak or develops a leak just put in a new tube and it's like new again for $3. Want to switch to gas? Just change the tube.
I tried several brands of electric/manual pumps - none could stand up to the high nitro. The electrics were especially bad - they all quit in short order - the nitro eats them up. The gear drive pumps are only marginally better but the nitro quickly eats the gears. The six shooter uses a piece of tubing that the fuel is pushed through. Uses the same kind of tubing that you have in your fuel lines - the nitro, or gas (depending on which you have) won't bother it a bit.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:44 PM
FHHuber
Banned

All hand pumps are not equal.

The $10 (appx) Hobbico hand crank pump, and similar have been constant headache sources with many local club mambers. These little gizmos are neet looking ans the will work for a while, but they need to be opened up and worked on too much.

The Dave Brown Six-Shooter pumps have been super reliable. they cost about %20, but seem to outlive the cheaper pumps 5 to one, and the rebuild kit for them is cheap. (and they are worth rebuilding as all that goes wrong is the tube wears out in about 5 years of heavy use.)

You get what you pay for.

Note... same works with the electric pumps. Buy the $15 one... expect it to last as long as the warrantee. (or 90 days whichever is shorter) Buy the good one, its good for 5 to 10 years.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:18 AM
FOD MAN

Six-shooter hand's down,built to last and so simple a caveman could repair it.easy to inspect so you can stay ahead of any problems. i never have liked the thought of something shorting out in a cheap electric pump strapped to a gallon of fuel. can you say KA-BOOM !!!
Old 12-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Highflyer

As far as i'm concerned, Hobbico pumps are CRAP dont waste your money.
people at my field have also been having trouble with electrics as well
go with the six-shooter or the slimline
Old 12-02-2003, 12:47 PM
KevinSheen

I've had my six shooter since I was a teen. If you keep the pump area and tube clean you can get a decade or more on the pump itself. Like others have said, fixing it is a piece of cake.

I do like the slimline fuel bottle tops better than any cap I've used in the past.

Kevin
Old 12-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Had a 20 year old Six Shooter that I used for 12 years with no problems then it broke - the inner sleeve came off.

Replaced it with a Hobbico which as the others also stated was a leaker. Junk.

Tried another Six Shooter, which worked well, but I used it for a season and it still cranked very hard.

Using a Hangar 9 crank pump now. Works fine.

Note on electrics: They pump fuel great, but sometimes need priming. I used one for a little bit and it always needed priming.