Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Feeling guilty about selling some stuff..

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Feeling guilty about selling some stuff..

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeling guilty about selling some stuff..

I mentioned to the fam that I was thinking about selling some of my planes the kids like and I got pressure to keep them. I need the cash for some other projects, well I want to go 150! Speed is not cheap! Anyway, they really support me, but I'm getting heat about even thinking of selling this stuff. Anyone else run into this? What's you thoughts?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:38 AM
JimRoss

Default RE: Feeling guilty about selling some stuff..

I only have a wife and daughter(teenager) and neither one cares what I do about the r/c stuff, except when I cut up a thumb or something equally as stupid. Believe it or not the only thing my wife says when I tell her I want to but another new thingie is Ok, go ahead. She's a jewel. My guilt happens when I go to the LHS and spend money. I'll never admit it but I really do like to put the family first.

Don't let your conscience get in the way of advancing the hobby. Sell, buy, trade, whatever you gotta do to keep a foot in the door. No one should have to stay static in this hobby.

Just my opinion and if it don't fit, I've got others.

JimRoss
Old 11-24-2003, 11:47 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whos stuff is it? Yours or theirs?

If it is yours, and they do not fly it, why feel guilty? Sell it, get what you want and have fun. If you let others dictate what you do in the hobby, it will get to be like a job. I have a twin DC-3 that a friend keeps pressuring me to build because he wants to see it fly. I basically told him that if he wants one, get one. I will build mine and fly it when it is right for me. I got tired of others telling me what "I need to do" for what ever reason.

I am also building a full scale and a few friend keep telling me "that I have to" have someone else finish it. Why the heck would I want to do that.

Do what you feel is right, if they don't like it, too bad.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember seeing a cartoon many years ago where a kid was on his first hunting trip. He shot a deer, and later told his dad how badly he felt about it. His dad's reply was, "When you lose that feeling, it's time to quit hunting."

So, I commend you for feeling guilty about hurting their feelings. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:42 PM
RedWing

I sold a couple of planes and both my son's were upset.
I guess they liked those planes.
But, I wanted the money to go into some other project.

I don't have the answer but I guess either spend more money or get ride of stuff I don't use and right now I don't plan on spending a lot more money.

Bill
Old 11-24-2003, 12:44 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Sell the kids.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:46 PM
RedWing

I think that would cost me money...[]
Old 11-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

speed isnt expensive. check out the thread in the extreme speed forum.
you can get touching 150 for about ummm. £150 thats engine, plane and the bits you don't already have spare.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have to admit that my wife supports my hobby. I don't buy anything for me. Just pay the bills and keep chugging. She thinks that I deserve this hobby. That is why it is so rewarding to be able to get what I want. I just only have to convince myself. I am my own worse critic!
Old 11-24-2003, 12:51 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Okay, tell the kids that you'll keep the planes but in order to afford the new plane daddy wants he has to use thier college money wait, that might be to abstract, you have to use their Christmas present money. They'll be listing the planes on Ebay..opps I mean in the marketplace for you.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:04 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I sold 2 planes that I liked to fellow clubmembers but I needed the cash to fund other planes. I watched both planes crash beyond repair because of their carelessness. That bothered me more then if I crashed them myself.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Feeling less guilty.....[&:]
Old 11-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can make it up to the kids by having them design your new plane's scheme. Simple rules though - no Barbie logos and no pink.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:31 PM
iflynething

If you feel guilty about the planes, don't sell them. If you have some trainers, then you should donate them to your Flying Field. That is what i am probably going to do. It would really help the people who want to learn how to fly but don't have the money right now to get the plane. I think that is what you should do. I know that is what i'm probably goin to do. When I get like 1 or 2 more planes, then I'll donate my Superstar trainer to my flying field. I think that they would like it. The learner first timers would like it tooo.................Hope this helps..........DON'T FEEL GUILTY.........!!!!!!!!! BEST OF LUCK BUD..........
Old 11-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Azcat59

After 26 years in RC, I have built 112 airplanes, and totalled maybe 10 or so. It would take a warehouse to store the other 102.....so I have to sell my creations after I have flown them awhile. Sometimes I build something that "I just want to build", knowing I will be bored flying it, and sell it after a dozen flights or less. Some times I have owned a plane for ten years or more before selling it. And yes, sometimes the new owner crashes it, which is too bad, but as someone said "they all have a number".

I think you should sell what you want to sell, and your family will probably like the new stuff just as well as the old. Above all, have fun, and don't let your conscience get the best of you!

Clair
Old 11-25-2003, 08:57 AM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd agree with NOT selling the stuff they really like, but be sure to tell the wife that in order to keep it, you'll need to take more money from the budget.
Dennis-
Old 11-25-2003, 11:42 AM
rockmon

Ah guilt is a funny thing, I feel guilty as heck when I leave the hobby shop and didn't spend much money. I try and make it up to them the next time I go in. As far as feeling guilty about selling some of your stuff, let them know the joys of getting the new stuff your going to replace the old stuff with and before long they will want you to get rid of all your old stuff and replace it with new stuff and everyone can have that gonna get some new stuff feeling all the time. Stuff happens.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:55 PM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

I know about those guilt feelings as I have had many of them in the past, so what I do now when I want to fund a new project is go to one of the Mall entrance's, stand out there and hold a big sign that says "I WILL WORK FOR PLANES"......